Why do we study English? (1 Viewer)

Would you take English if it wasn't mandatory?

• YES

Votes: 19 25.0%
  • HELL NO

Votes: 57 75.0%

• Total voters

PhysicsMaths

HSC
This subject matter is quite trivial.
Although from my perspective, I believe it teaches you to think about the triviality of the things and determine your standpoint.
Much like how this post has probably enabled you to question your own standpoint
And much like how my post may enable you to realise the triviality of my perspective
And so forth and so on until you realise that you're gonna be dead soon
Trivial as in something of little importance or significance?

biocrazy

HSC
Have literally been asking this question ALL year! In my opinion, maths is much more essential and a more practical life skill than being able to explain why TS Eliot uses enjambment in his poetry. And the fact that we are learning all this irrelevant shit whilst a large percentage of students still can't spell or use correct grammar is ridiculous.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Have literally been asking this question ALL year! In my opinion, maths is much more essential and a more practical life skill than being able to explain why TS Eliot uses enjambment in his poetry. And the fact that we are learning all this irrelevant shit whilst a large percentage of students still can't spell or use correct grammar is ridiculous.
why not both

kuromusha

HSC
N/A
The question says it all. Why do we have to study English?

I mean, I understand why about grammar and s*** but why do we need to analyse some stupid text from 400 years ago and discuss how some idiot dies or whatever. How would this help you guys in the future? Do the BOS just like to piss people off because they make you guys study irrelevant stuff?

Also, what the teacher says about a poem or text may be wrong. For example, a teacher may talk about Robert Frost's poetry and discuss how the persona connects with nature. Well, what if the poet actually wasn't admiring nature? What if he just wrote some crap or whatever?

Think about it you English lovers...

WASTE OF TIME
So in order not to turn NSW unis into Chinatowns, the BOS made English compulsory.

Is NSW the only State where English is compulsory or this applies to the whole of Australia??

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)