Why do you call yourself an Agnostic? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Sonic said:
this is somewhat true... but religion explains all (no sorry most) that science can't... in effect they can only exist co-dependantly we will never be able to only accept religion or just science
That's true enough if you are of the opinion that papering over the cracks with an escapist notion (read: god) is an acceptable explanation.

Atticus.

how do i get out of this
HSC
Sonic said:
this is somewhat true... but religion explains all (no sorry most) that science can't... in effect they can only exist co-dependantly we will never be able to only accept religion or just science
that explains quite well the dwindling of eclesiastical power in the world over the years... as science explains more and more, the church loses credibility and power

it will be interesting to see where religion is in say fifty years when science is even more developed

K

katie_tully

There is always the get over it, who really cares, why are we arguing over semantics option.

I pick that one!

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Given that there isnt an infinite number of particles in the visible universe, we could all just be a computer simulation ran in another universe (indeed it is most likely we are, since the universe we are a computer simulation in is probably a computer simulation itself).

Where would that fit? :p

I'm an atheist but.

I don't agree with the people who call themselves agnostics but are much closer to atheists. I prefer them calling themselves weak Atheists (non-belief in a god but not necessairly discounting the possibilities of dieties)

Last edited:
K

katie_tully

I completely believe that there is no such thing as god, a higher being, an all knowing blah blah blah. I have no desire to go to heaven, or to safeguard myself for an afterlife by worshiping such a being. I believe that when we die, we become compost. Unless you're cremated.
I don't need religion to validate my life, my actions or any of the such.

Atticus.

how do i get out of this
HSC
katie_tully said:
I completely believe that there is no such thing as god, a higher being, an all knowing blah blah blah. I have no desire to go to heaven, or to safeguard myself for an afterlife by worshiping such a being. I believe that when we die, we become compost. Unless you're cremated.
I don't need religion to validate my life, my actions or any of the such.
that being said do you believe in being a good person? and for what reasons?

Generator

HSC
N/A
DrownTheCrow said:
Are you trying to suggest that religion (or a belief in a god/higher force) alone provides a framework for acceptable social norms and interpretations of 'good', atticus? If so, haha.

K

katie_tully

Generator beat me to it, but my question was along the same lines. Why would I not believe in being a good person purely because I do not believe in God or a need for religion? And why would be reasoning by questionable because of this? Of course I believe you should be a good person. I believe that you get back what you put in, and if you want good relations with people you should speak to them in the manner to which you'd like to receive back.

Atticus.

how do i get out of this
HSC
you get back what you put in... ok fair enough
is that just with relations to people though? because that sounds like a version of karma to me

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
Is there anyone here besides me who doesn't believe that being a "good person" is an actual goal in life? Like when they feel like being kind and warm, they are. When they don't feel like it, they arent?

K

katie_tully

Look, in my opinion, Christians and other such religious groups are ultimately selfish. There is this idea that by being nice to people, and by obeying the word of God and by generally being good Christians, there will be something in return for your services. It's never just because it's a good idea to be nice. Those who refer to the Bible to justify their way of life aren't saying, "I'm a good Christian because it's nice," it's "I'm a Christian because it's a pathway to heaven for me".

As I said, I don't need any of this to validate my life. I don't believe in heaven, or a higher power and I probably am ultimately selfish. I will treat people the way they should be treated, and if I don't then I shouldn't be shocked when it comes back to bite my ass. It's not karma, it's not spiritual, it's real life. My actions are backed by selfishness, much like Christians. I believe in being a good person because it's going to make my life easier. I just don't try and justify it with religion.

Atticus.

how do i get out of this
HSC
katie_tully said:
Look, in my opinion, Christians and other such religious groups are ultimately selfish. There is this idea that by being nice to people, and by obeying the word of God and by generally being good Christians, there will be something in return for your services. It's never just because it's a good idea to be nice. Those who refer to the Bible to justify their way of life aren't saying, "I'm a good Christian because it's nice," it's "I'm a Christian because it's a pathway to heaven for me".

As I said, I don't need any of this to validate my life. I don't believe in heaven, or a higher power and I probably am ultimately selfish. I will treat people the way they should be treated, and if I don't then I shouldn't be shocked when it comes back to bite my ass. It's not karma, it's not spiritual, it's real life. My actions are backed by selfishness, much like Christians. I believe in being a good person because it's going to make my life easier. I just don't try and justify it with religion.
i think thats perfectly reasonable and almost exactly what i believe... almost

personally i believe in some kind of karma, but then again i dont believe in luck... how contradictory of me

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
Sonic said:
actually religion hardly explains anything that science does, and the things it does ie how we got here, is based on no evidence.

Does religion explain, gravity, does religion explain why electrons rotate arond the protons? does religion explain why water freezes and becoems a solid, does religion explain what a blackhole is , does religion explain what light is exactly, and so forth. it doesnt explain anything. the only close thing it does is say that god created it all. and i just dont buy that. the holly books only explain things thats are unproven and it doesnt hold up against what science has to say.

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
DrownTheCrow said:
i beleive in what kaite_tully sais, and the answer to your question is, i believe that being a good person is necesarry as it helps humanity progress in all fields ei science, techonology , medicine....

ofcourse its debatable what good means, but i think that anything that leads to human progress without oppression or setting humans on another path ei reliigon that stales progress is wrong.

K

katie_tully

I had this religion teacher once who tried to tell me that science lies, and that the Great Flood (aka Noah) caused the Grand Canyon, and that it was created in 3 days!

He then went on to show us a science experiment which he said validated his statement.

I actually got kicked out of religion class after 2 lessons with this guy.

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
veterandoggy said:
firstly, it would be pointless to see god in the afterlife, because your life has already ended. you will come to know that god is true when you die, but you cant exactly go into this world and repent...

you see sasha, this is what we have been saying for AAAGGGEEEESSSS!! god gave evidence and miracles to muhammad and all the other prophets, and that is what we believe in: those miracles. but you wont believe in them because you havent seen them. why? if you dont believe in miracles recorded in history, why will you believe in something before your eyes? you will probably shrug it off as being a magical illusion. these religions didnt rise because of preacher's superb brainwashing capabilities, they rose because people saw miracles, and were able to fortify their faith with them.

when the prophet was preaching and converting people, the quraysh tribal elders used to tell anyone who came to not go to muhammad, because his speech was magical and evil lies. this of course got them curious, because they knew the prophet to be honest and trustworthy, so they went to hear what he had to say, and would end up converting. i cant give you fresh miracles, but the old ones are more than enough to last for mankind
i dont justify evidence given to a single man centuries ago as a miracle that makes me change the way i think.

If god him self showed me a miracle that wasnt the influnce of people i would believe in him. if yuo think that he wont do that becuase he is testing me, well thats exactly why i dont believe in him. If he wanted people to know that he is real, he would tell one man to spread the message , but tell each person individually and then let them decide if the people would follwo him or not.

Atticus.

how do i get out of this
HSC
katie_tully said:
I had this religion teacher once who tried to tell me that science lies, and that the Great Flood (aka Noah) caused the Grand Canyon, and that it was created in 3 days!

He then went on to show us a science experiment which he said validated his statement.

I actually got kicked out of religion class after 2 lessons with this guy.
bwahah what year was this in?

Atticus.

how do i get out of this
HSC
SashatheMan said:
i beleive in what kaite_tully sais, and the answer to your question is, i believe that being a good person is necesarry as it helps humanity progress in all fields ei science, techonology , medicine....

ofcourse its debatable what good means, but i think that anything that leads to human progress without oppression or setting humans on another path ei reliigon that stales progress is wrong.
yes thats a good definition
i think it basically sums up what i define to be a good person

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)