Why does everyone become so satirical during/after the HSC? (1 Viewer)

Ellie_Belly

HSC
Serius said:
theres a difference between satire and sarcasm.

i think cynicism is a part of becoming more aware of the world around you, as more bright-and-shiny-eyed kids learn that the once wonderful world isnt actually so fair.
Cyncicism is probably a defence mechanism, a way of not taking everything at face value, questioning information you have been given to avoid being gullible. its quite healthy, but its also sad in a way. Instead of fixing the world we fix the way we think
I think that's what's happened to me this year.

Gangels

HSC
People get too stressed and dont realise that without the HSC they can still have a life. Otherwise id be completely fucked. They lock themselves up and dont come out. I dredd the exams. People are gonna be psycho.

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
Ellie Belly, it looks like that you're an example of someone who's really stressed.
From memory, most of the threads started by you are pessimistic ones.

People do get stressed. There's about 60000+ stressed out teens in NSW.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
we're probably so satirical/cynical because after 12 years of education we're all a little over it, at least i know i am. i was wondering why all of a sudden, in the year where it should matter the most to me, i just dont care anymore if i forget to hand in an exercise or break the rules (leaving school at lunch, etc). i figured its just proof that school goes for one year too long....consider English, for example. one of my best buddies is so fricking funny over this subject simply because she hates it so much. and i guess, in a way, being cynical about things can in a strange backwards way make them more humourous and enjoyable. if it werent for this friend of mine, i would have died during Journeys. and also, even though some of the stuff we say is kinda negative, its often at least partly true. eg the whole "english teachers pulling out interpretations from nowhere" thing. SO true. even the authors of our texts have gone 'wtf' over some of it.

weewaarjg

HSC
hey, i'm new to this:wave:

i reckon the stress of it all gets to people - it does me
n every 1 is putting so much pressure on u to do good

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
weewaarjg said:
hey, i'm new to this:wave:

i reckon the stress of it all gets to people - it does me
n every 1 is putting so much pressure on u to do good
Hey! :wave:
Welcome to BOS. We're all stressed.

Ellie_Belly

HSC
Sparcod said:
Ellie Belly, it looks like that you're an example of someone who's really stressed.
From memory, most of the threads started by you are pessimistic ones.

People do get stressed. There's about 60000+ stressed out teens in NSW.
I'm not really stressed as I used to be. I was very stressed in the summer holidays. Better now though. Just curious.

ScottyG

Victory is mine.
HSC
Captain Gh3y said:
Most of the 60 or 70 thousand odd HSC sitters from year to year don't have the brains to write satire! And most of those that do, do extension english two, so they're conditioned to write about really boring stuff anyway.
Hey, not cool buddy, not cool.

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
Probably by-products of stress, wanting the whole school thing to end, and a general realisation of how crappy the world really is. I know that last one has me pretty cynical now, sad and stupid as it is.

I_F

Asheroth

Paranoid Android
HSC
Some subjects can actually influence cyncism, like Modern History. A course line-up of WW1, Nazi Germany, and the Cold War has done wonders for my sense of doom and futility. Philosophy Distinction Course also makes you realise how silly and blind the majority of the population can be.

Anyone else got any depressing subjects?

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Maybe it's because we finally realise that the HSC isn't that bad, and that it's excessively overated.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
Asheroth said:
Some subjects can actually influence cyncism, like Modern History. A course line-up of WW1, Nazi Germany, and the Cold War has done wonders for my sense of doom and futility. Philosophy Distinction Course also makes you realise how silly and blind the majority of the population can be.

Anyone else got any depressing subjects?
i see what you mean about modern history...however, i really like it so the only time it depresses me is when im tired and just think "these people are all dead now, who cares?!" but other than that its cool. Maths on the other hand...pointless, pointless crap.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)