Why does everyone find uni so hard compared to high school? (1 Viewer)

jake2.0

. . .
HSC
Prolly cause in Uni you have to think for yourself, while in high school you could basically get through by memorising stuff

HSC
N/A
I don't think it's that much harder really. I'm just a LOT more lazier than I was in high school (and I thought I was really lazy back then). And a few of the subjects I do at uni don't motivate me enough to study, cos I don't find them interesting. The only reason I did well in high school is because I was in love with the majority of the subjects I did.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Maybe it's because all those students who went to spoon feeding private schools don't know how to think for themselves, they don't have a teacher handing out the answers to them, and thus, they suck.

On a less insulting note, I guess it's because the courses are heavilty accelerated when compared to high school. I mean, the stuff that you cover in one semester at uni would have been covered in a whole year at high school. The lecture slides are a summary of the topic, and that's all that you are given. If you really want to do well, you have to go out and find the detailed stuff by yourself.

jpr333

HSC
I think the actual content (depending on degree and majors) is more challenging. Workload not necessarily..

spank_meh

add me on MSN NOW!!!!
HSC
it's just very very different. you never get in trouble for missing out on lectures or for not competing the tut work.. honestly they dont give a shit. its ur money not theirs, and ur gona have to repeat not them.. aaaaaaaaand as most people are lazy it gets really hard at the end when you do try to study

lol ive been a really lazy bum this semester.... now i wish i was doing work oh well :\

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I agree with politik- some of the stuff in uni would've been spread out over 1-2 years back in high school; but compressed into one semester in uni. For example with eco we manage to cover one chapter per 1hr lecture- back in year11/12 we would've taken a week or two per chapter. There also is a much greater emphasis on teaching yourself things because lectures don't always cover everything they need. Without anyone checking that you do the work/readings people also become very lazy/lax (like me).

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
I actually don't think the content is that much harder, I just have little interest in articulating most of it(first year core).

However what is a stressing change is the time frame that exams/assignments are stuffed into. In HSC there was usually a learning time, practicing and then revision time...university is just like that revision time at the end except with nothing else but assessments strung through it.

spank_meh

add me on MSN NOW!!!!
HSC
kami said:
I actually don't think the content is that much harder, I just have little interest in articulating most of it(first year core).

However what is a stressing change is the time frame that exams/assignments are stuffed into. In HSC there was usually a learning time, practicing and then revision time...university is just like that revision time at the end except with nothing else but assessments strung through it.
i think the content is harder if you didnt do the similar subjects at school. dudes im doing anatomy and physiology and its so fucking hard coz i didn't do biology :\

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
spank_meh said:
i think the content is harder if you didnt do the similar subjects at school. dudes im doing anatomy and physiology and its so fucking hard coz i didn't do biology :\
I never did society & culture or modern history and I'm understanding the content of Social, Political & Historical studies fine. Same with French. I'm just disgusted at the time frame.

spank_meh

add me on MSN NOW!!!!
HSC
kami said:
I never did society & culture or modern history and I'm understanding the content of Social, Political & Historical studies fine. Same with French. I'm just disgusted at the time frame.
awww yeah:(

noneother

the Cho is great
HSC
it's cause when ur at the top of high school and once u enter uni you find that ur only average

lala2

Banned
HSC
Ah, but I wasn't the top and I'm struggling at uni...I suspect it's because I'm one of the lowest UAIs in my course. doesn't matter anyway I guess, we're all in the same course together

Anonymou5

HSC
N/A
I agree with Shuter. Unless you're completely stupid, your marks in uni really do depend on your ability and how much effort you put in rather than what your UAI is. Of course there is the occasional slip up (in terms of marks) but usually what I've said is quite true, from my experience anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)