why does everyone keep saying that communications is shit? (2 Viewers)

somechick

HSC
N/A
ok when i came to this forum i was overwhelmed by the amount of people who told me the communications course it shit, not worth doing, not job-worthy etc. and im kinda getting worried. :(
my folks keep sayin i wont get a job and now its people who actually did it. Aw man i dont wanna pay all this money and end up losing my head.
Whats so crap about it tho?

funky_a

Fabulousness Overload
HSC
It's not crap! I'm not doing it but my best friend is (at UTS). She's doing Writing and Cultural Studies and she doesn't have exams for that! how cool is that! And don't let others affect what you want to do. If you do exceptionally well, what would stop you from getting a job? Just get as much experience as possible perhaps? trying getting work experience in the area you're doing. The more experience you have, the more likely employers would hire you! Good luck!

Jinglebell

HSC
Not everyone around here hated communications, it just has to be what you want to do...and if it turns out it isn't, then you can always transfer to a different course after a year, and chalk it up to experience.

I think the best summing up of the advice from both those of us who love it and those who have hated it, would be to decide for yourself, and only do one of these courses if you really think you want to, not on a whim.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Jane is totally right, for some people communications wasn't their cup of tea. It doesn't mean it is shit and you won't get a job. If you enjoy communications, it won't be a waste of your money. If you find it isn't your cup of tea, transfer.

There is a reason why UTS has the good reputation that it has for communications... however communications isn't for everyone.

somechick

HSC
N/A
funky_a said:
It's not crap! I'm not doing it but my best friend is (at UTS). She's doing Writing and Cultural Studies and she doesn't have exams for that! how cool is that! And don't let others affect what you want to do. If you do exceptionally well, what would stop you from getting a job? Just get as much experience as possible perhaps? trying getting work experience in the area you're doing. The more experience you have, the more likely employers would hire you! Good luck!

oh thanks! wow no exams sweet!
i dunno i absolutely love cultural studies but i didnt know anyone who'd done it and i came here and everything that i read was just like 'oh comm is so bad it sucks boring waste of time and money' and i was like :(

thanks so much for your advice guys

D.Larie

I'm doing it too! Social Inquiry. :)
I'm interested in learning about Racism, and other issues like that.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I'm doing communications/law and from what i understand it seems like a good course, if not one with direct relevant job training ie, accounting.

However don't let what people say change your mind, most people making these accusations haven't actually gone for a job, or really know anyone that has.. they just assume things.

D.Larie

What would employers think if we tell them we're Arts in Communication graduates from UTS?
Some one wrote in another Arts thread that employers sees Arts students as good all-rounders. :)

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
I'm doing communications/law and from what i understand it seems like a good course, if not one with direct relevant job training ie, accounting.
been there done that... its definitely shit. and if you want to do accounting, do commerce... not communications.

D.Larie

spin spin sugar, the least you can do is go away and keep your pessimism out of our faces. ;)

Who cares, I'm still excited about Uni and I know I'm gonna learn heaps.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
You should be excited about uni... everyone has different opinions on the course, it depends on what you like doing.

mr EaZy

punchbowl bro- its the best place to live !
HSC
somechick said:
oh thanks! wow no exams sweet!
i dunno i absolutely love cultural studies but i didnt know anyone who'd done it and i came here and everything that i read was just like 'oh comm is so bad it sucks boring waste of time and money' and i was like :(

thanks so much for your advice guys
lol, i never thought id see u in these threads :rolleyes:
Good luck!

on another note, dont care what people say about different courses.
i chose business over communications, but now im beginning to have 2nd thoughts on business, because im actually a science/arts person. if you do things that other people want you to do, then chances are that you wont excel in you're particular course.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Anyone on here doing journo? I might see you at the faculty welcome tomorrow.... I've been roped in to be one of the journalism students that you get to ask questions about the course lol.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
It wasn't at O Day, it was at the faculty welcome... I had to get up in front of all the journo students and talk... and I was last so there wasn't much left to be said lol I don't think I made much sense! (Plus I was slightly hung over lol)

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
lol.... UTS Housing had a pub crawl the night before.....

I was going to tell them where the Clare and the Loft are but I didn't think that the journo lecturers would appreciate it lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)