Why does everyone make it seem like Investment banking is so difficult to get into? (1 Viewer)

Confound

HSC
What can be so hard about maintaining high grades, getting some ECs, some internships/industry experiences, high aptitude, great communication/interview skills, some network connections and some luck?

Amundies

Commander-in-Chief
HSC
Uni Grad
Re: Why does everyone make it seem like Investment banking is so difficult to get int

I know right, that's all there is to it. People just whinge too much!

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
Re: Why does everyone make it seem like Investment banking is so difficult to get int

Not sure if srs

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad

*insert omni quote about how ecs dont matter*

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad

Hsc 2013

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC

What can be so hard about maintaining high grades, getting some ECs, some internships/industry experiences, high aptitude, great communication/interview skills, some network connections and some luck?
It's not that hard to do the above but it's nowhere enough to get you into IB

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad

I suppose because there's so few positions and loads of people can already do the above.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad

Being the kfc kiddo won't do. Need the real experiences

"while i was in cambodia building an ophanage, i...."
"while i interning at the court of arbitration at the Hague, i..."
"while i was managing my student association's US$200,000 stock portfolio, i..."

enoilgam

HSC

"while i was managing my student association's US$200,000 stock portfolio, i..."
Saw a law applicant with this on his CV plus other stuff - didnt even get an interview.

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC

don't forget the "i saved (insert country from Africa) from famine, drought and ebola"

Confound

HSC

It's not that hard to do the above but it's nowhere enough to get you into IB
wtf? what else could you possibly need that I have not mentioned

Amundies

Commander-in-Chief
HSC
Uni Grad

Errr, maybe a lot of those guys didn't get your sarcasm?

RishBonjour99

HSC
N/A

Its only hard if you have a life. On the other hand, if you are a consistently hard working student and reasonably intelligent, you will probably get the above and will most probably get IB. Whether its Goldman Sachs or Morgan Stanley is a different story but there are other IBs around.

But yeah not sure if srs. I still don't know anyone who would pick IB over MBB so it isn't 'that' difficult.
'

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad

It's not that hard because no, you don't need ECs, industry experience, network connections or luck.

Just solid high grades, high EQ and good interview skills.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad

Oi omni hows the properties goin

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad

Good. Now let's see if this GFC-style crash all the smart young-ins are praying for happens.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)