• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Why does HCl dissolve? (1 Viewer)

eleco

HSC
thanks guys, i understand now.

btw: "nit" i was told by my teacher that H+ ions has a chance of less than a billionth in existing alone in water. i have to aggree with "thechemcoach" But amazingly the HSC doesnt account for this, so we can assume that they do.

nit

HSC
I was mainly pointing out before that the hydronium ion has formula H3O+, not H2O+ as theChemCoach wrote before a subsequent edit. As I said, you're not going to be penalised for using the species H+ whenever dealing with acids, but the H3O+ species is a more accurate one to use.

funking_you

eleco said:
thanks guys, i understand now.

amazingly the HSC doesnt account for this, so we can assume that they do.
This is very true, and unfortunately this is where the HSC chemistry course fails students, many very important concepts are OVER generalised to the point were students don't really understand whats happening, but nevertheless can use the concept and still apply it (even if its just applied blindly).

Its an advantage if your just trying to do well in the subject to get a good UAI, but if you really want to learn chemistry (and WHO WOULDN"T!!!! wooo hoooo!)
the HSC syllabus (year 11 & 12) falls way too short.

HSC
True, there are some topics that don't go very indepth and nothing makes sense, and some people like me can't go by like that, so do what I do and do further research, it gives you a better understanding and the whole 'glue' of remembering how the whole subject is structured sticks in better, the HSC probably won't care if you do go that extra step, but it gives YOU an understanding better so you can throw out this information with more confidencing knowing it binds you too the further research.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)