Why does Optus host bittorent ? (1 Viewer)

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
i went to the bittorrent site and wanted to download a mirror. and the australian mirror is hosted by optus. i thought they are against file sharing.

i heard someone tell me they can ban yuor service connection if u upload too much , but thats what happens when u use bittorrent , so whats the deal.

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
?? bit-torrent isn't illegal
there are plenty of linux iso hosted on bt

sunny

meh.
HSC
SashatheMan said:
i went to the bittorrent site and wanted to download a mirror. and the australian mirror is hosted by optus. i thought they are against file sharing.
As already said BT itself is not illegal but its what people use it for - it gets done so much that the word BT is synonymous to illegal file sharing.

SashatheMan said:
i heard someone tell me they can ban yuor service connection if u upload too much , but thats what happens when u use bittorrent , so whats the deal.
They don't want excessive uploading because it clogs cable connections. You don't just upload when using BT, but normal uses as well - they mainly want to stop people running servers (like web and FTP servers).

Assasinator_2

HSC
Optus host a sourceforge mirror. Sourceforge is a collection of open source software (open source = people can freely obtain the source code and edit it to change the program as they see fit) and as such, anything that is part of sourceforge, optus will mirror.

Bittorrent itself isn't illegal - several large companies use it to distribute their legit software (linux guys use it to distribute their CD images, for example). It's a fabulous technology because it takes a huge percentage of the bandwidth load off the server, and places it on the people as they obtain it, meaning it costs less overall to do a distribution of something big.

It just so happens that because it's so good, and so hard to track to a single source, that illegal file swappers love it. Thus, the LARGE percentage of people who use torrents are those who swap illegal stuff.

\'OrribleCabbage

Mmmm.... Cabbagy...
HSC
SashatheMan said:
As far as I know, they can't ban your connection for uploading too much. They can, however, slow down your speed or charge you extra (or both), depending on what plan you are on.

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
\'OrribleCabbage said:
As far as I know, they can't ban your connection for uploading too much. They can, however, slow down your speed or charge you extra (or both), depending on what plan you are on.
actually they can
they ban you for two weeks and then charge you a reconnection fee, you can choose to quit if you are not on contract but if you are and you choose to quit contract they charge to a cancellation fee

\'OrribleCabbage

Mmmm.... Cabbagy...
HSC
Just for uploading? Geez... I can understand them taking action like that if the uploading is due to illegal filesharing etc, but it seems a fairly extreme measure just for going over an allocated limit.

Meh, I'm not with Optus anyway, and I know that with the plan I'm on ("unlimited" with Telstra) they only slow you down if you go over the 10GB per month limit. Now I know not to sign up with Optus.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Optusnet Terms and conditions said:
Optus may immediately suspend, downgrade or cancel the Service in a variety of circumstances, including: if, before the service start date, Optus determines it is not viable to supply the Service to you; you misuse the Service; non-compliant Equipment is used; there is an unusually high use of the Service; you fail to pay any charges to Optus; or you become insolvent. Depending on the circumstances of the suspension, you may still be liable to pay all charges arising during the suspension If you have agreed to take the Service for a Committed Term and you seek to terminate early (including because you move premises) a prorated cancellation fee will apply
Don't ask what "unusually high" actually means....

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
i asked the same question on a that whirlpool site . and people told me that optus dont really care too much if u are on an unlimited plan. its just that if your using a 1 gig plan for example and opload like 5 gigs then osmetihng might happen. and i havent met anyone yet whos been in trouble yet

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)