• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Why Does Your School Rank Matter (1 Viewer)

vanshetec

HSC
N/A
Why Does Your Internal and External School Rank Matter?

Last edited:

runnable

HSC
It does not influence your UAI at all. It only shows the general ability of your cohort in the state.

vanshetec

HSC
N/A
runnable said:
It does not influence your UAI at all. It only shows the general ability of your cohort in the state.
Scenario:

1. What would happen if your cohort's average is high?
2. What would happen if your cohort's average is generally low?

Does it affect the modulated results of your school mark?

runnable

HSC
vanshetec said:
Scenario:

1. What would happen if your cohort's average is high?
2. What would happen if your cohort's average is generally low?

Does it affect the modulated results of your school mark?
Cohort average? You mean school rank? Your internal marks do not mean anything.

If your cohort is strong (high ranking), then moderation will be very beneficial.

vanshetec

HSC
N/A
runnable said:

If your cohort is strong (high ranking), then moderation will be very beneficial.
If i should say the cohort's average is around the 70s and i get about 80/100 for the internal school mark, what would happen with the modulation?

runnable

HSC
vanshetec said:
If i should say the cohort's average is around the 70s and i get about 80/100 for the internal school mark, what would happen with the modulation?
When you say cohort average, do you mean the school rank? Because I feel that you are thinking of your raw average mark.

vanshetec

HSC
N/A
runnable said:
When you say cohort average, do you mean the school rank? Because I feel that you are thinking of your raw average mark.
Yes thats the word "Raw Mark".. So.

runnable

HSC
vanshetec said:
Yes thats the word "Raw Mark".. So.

Your raw mark, your school's average raw mark do not matter whatsoever. To find out the general ability of your cohort, check your school rankings. And to find out your place in that cohort, use your RANKS, not your marks.

vanshetec

HSC
N/A
runnable said:
Your raw mark, your school's average raw mark do not matter whatsoever. To find out the general ability of your cohort, check your school rankings. And to find out your place in that cohort, use your RANKS, not your marks.

Would you know where i could find the school rankings as in throughout the state for 2007. Because BOS only has the 2006 results.

HSC
that is true, but i believe they also take into account the relative gaps in marks between each rank

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
aussiechick007 said:
that is true, but i believe they also take into account the relative gaps in marks between each rank
You sure?

HSC
Check the scaling topics if you're desperate. But at this point (you're either doing or have done trials) there's no point worrying about it, just do your best in the external exams.

runnable

HSC
Relative gap between you and the 1st ranked will be taken into account IMO.

me121

Premium Member
HSC
vanshetec said:
Why Does Your School Rank Matter?
It doesn't. EDIT: to avoid disambiguation i mean the schools rank doesn't matter, not your internal assessment rank.

runnable said:

Not if you cannot perform as good as them, if you get a low mark in the HSC and about the same distribution in your school assessments, then their marks are not going to pull you up.

lyounamu said:
You sure?
Yes. All relative distances between marks for internal assessment are taken into consideration in the moderation algorithm.

Last edited:

runnable

HSC
me121 said:
Not if you cannot perform as good as them, if you get a low mark in the HSC and about the same distribution in your school assessments, then their marks are not going to pull you up.
Indeed. You have to do well in externals.

me121 said:
Yes. All relative distances between marks for internal assessment are taken into consideration in the moderation algorithm.
So does that mean 1st by a large margin is beneficial for the 1st ranked? Or does it mean being NOT 1st by a large margin is disastrous for those not ranked 1st?

HSC
runnable said:
Indeed. You have to do well in externals.

So does that mean 1st by a large margin is beneficial for the 1st ranked? Or does it mean being NOT 1st by a large margin is disastrous for those not ranked 1st?
yo, what subs do you do?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)