Why I burned my 'Proof of Aboriginality' (1 Viewer)

Lentern

HSC
This.

I've held the belief for long that Aboriginal Australians are often singled out, portrayed as 'dumb' and needing the white man's help. I hate it with a fiery passion when high schools and universities go on about their 'generous' bureseries and scholarships in their booklets. It takes more planning and more indepth research and analysis to stop the low socio-economic lifestyles. The areas in which they live in are usually in desperate need of health care nurses and doctors, social workers and more applied health workers as well as education resources. Simply taking a person out for "employment" doesn't solve any problems at all. Being Aboriginal is so often portrayed as some kind of disability, it's sickening.

The stereotype of an Aboriginal male teenager who suffers from over or under nutrition, who doesn't go to school, has an awful addiction- is portrayed as trash in the Australian eyes. But if he is whiter or is white, the pity he would get.
Are you honestly saying that you don't think there has been, and there is continuing, substantial research and strategic policy development in "closing the gap" policies?

Memento-mori

HSC
Are you honestly saying that you don't think there has been, and there is continuing, substantial research and strategic policy development in "closing the gap" policies?
I'm not attacking the government's response to it, I'm attacking the average Australian's response to it. And even with the government, this problem has existed for over 40 years and its still not solved. My point I was trying to make was this: Taking someone out of their Aboriginal community, with either ''employment'' or some scholarship isn't doing much at all. It's a 'band aid' solution.

Australians tend to have a habit of talking up things, advertising, promoting, ''increasing awareness'' even though nothing effective is being done...

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
Taking someone out of their Aboriginal community, with either ''employment'' or some scholarship isn't doing much at all. It's a 'band aid' solution.
It is not a band aid solution, it IS the solution.

Letting them remain in their remote communities and throwing billions of dollars at them in these remote places is the band aid solution that doesn't work.

Lentern

HSC
I'm not attacking the government's response to it, I'm attacking the average Australian's response to it. And even with the government, this problem has existed for over 40 years and its still not solved. My point I was trying to make was this: Taking someone out of their Aboriginal community, with either ''employment'' or some scholarship isn't doing much at all. It's a 'band aid' solution.

Australians tend to have a habit of talking up things, advertising, promoting, ''increasing awareness'' even though nothing effective is being done...
You don't think these scholarship programs were in part formulated on the basis of government and academic research?

Memento-mori

HSC
You don't think these scholarship programs were in part formulated on the basis of government and academic research?
It's irrelevant what reserach formed these scholarships and bursuries. I do think they are a good idea, but only for the individual Say, a son gets a $10,000 p.a scholarship at Sydney University to do law. He doesn't have to pay board, for food, textbooks, etc. But then Sydney University publish their undergraduate booklet, with that son's face in it, saying how much he ''benefitted'' from it, people read, think the uni is great, and go there. and yet, once again, Aboriginal people are portrayed as always needing the White Man's help, even though they are only solving a very tiny fraction of the problem. Universities and high schools CAN afford it, usually by donations. Closing the gap will take time and committment, in all sectors, and health is a massive one, and back to the topic, simply being Aboriginal, doesn't get you anywhere in that regards. You can't simply chuck money at it. You need to make a committment, which Australian governments and the people tend to suck at.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
It's irrelevant what reserach formed these scholarships and bursuries. I do think they are a good idea, but only for the individual Say, a son gets a $10,000 p.a scholarship at Sydney University to do law. He doesn't have to pay board, for food, textbooks, etc. But then Sydney University publish their undergraduate booklet, with that son's face in it, saying how much he ''benefitted'' from it, people read, think the uni is great, and go there. and yet, once again, Aboriginal people are portrayed as always needing the White Man's help, even though they are only solving a very tiny fraction of the problem. Universities and high schools CAN afford it, usually by donations. Closing the gap will take time and committment, in all sectors, and health is a massive one, and back to the topic, simply being Aboriginal, doesn't get you anywhere in that regards. You can't simply chuck money at it. You need to make a committment, which Australian governments and the people tend to suck at.
You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink. Any Indigenous person that wants to help themselves is offered more than enough government assistance to do so. Those who don't want to help themselves cannot be saved.

Memento-mori

HSC
You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink. Any Indigenous person that wants to help themselves is offered more than enough government assistance to do so. Those who don't want to help themselves cannot be saved.
For adults, I can believe that. But children, if they are ill, have to be helped, no matter what the parents or any one in the community say.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
For adults, I can believe that. But children, if they are ill, have to be helped, no matter what the parents or any one in the community say.
I think you will find that those children that were part of the 'stolen' generation were helped effectively and the program should be continued in some form. If parents cannot look after their children then the state must take them for the long term good of the children.

Lentern

HSC
It's completely relevant because a moment ago you suggested these programs were not developed on the basis of well founded research and policy development. And you pretty much do it again here with your stupid "they just throw money at the problem" line, as though public servants and academics haven't spent enormous time formulating closing the gap programs precisely because the research suggests that they are the most effective means.

Blastus

Liberty Matrix
HSC
N/A
I love seeing that your equivocation has not been dulled

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)