Why I hate Nokia now... (1 Viewer)

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Yeah Android (specifically HTC) seems the best deal.

Dr_Doom

HSC
I bought an N97 a few months ago and I've had nothing but trouble. I hate when someone calls and the tilt makes the screen change and blank out, you can't even press the green/red button to pickup/hangup. Not only that the software is heaps buggy, I plugged it into the computer once and everything on my phone got deleted and all applications were uninstalled. The camera says its 5MP but the resolution is actually always shit (<2MP), and the flash is strategically placed so that if it ever goes off it leaves a nice white stain over the majority of the photo. I can't lock the phone too fast otherwise the screen stays on and drains the battery, I have to wait at least 3 seconds when I get to the home page to lock the phone. The navigation is slow, what I liked about the old nokias is that you can quickly navigate to somewhere by knowing exactly how many buttons to press. I like the whole concept of widgets on the front page but sometimes it just seems unnecessary to be loading facebook all the time. So I deleted the fb widget and now I just have shortcut icons and calender. Hmm what else. Oh yea I set up my emails so that I could check my emails from my phone, and then my phone started going off like an sms everytime I got a new email. Which is pretty freakin annoying. I don't really want to know when I get a new email all the time. I found a way to switch email tone off, but it still vibrates. So in the middle of the night I will hear this vibration next to me because someone on the otherside of the world has sent me some spam message using a mass mailer. I bought the N97 hoping it would be better than this friken apple crap that people keep calling revolutionary, but which is just a load of fragile, wasteful, technology that is so unecessary. But the N97 turned out to be a severe disappoinment. The ovi store is slow, (even with broadband connection) and there is jack shit on it anyway, and most of the shit actually cost more than $5 to buy. The ovi maps are not bad, but seriously I was using it the other day, it was telling me the best way to get to get home (hornsby) from lane cove was to make a slight detour across the harbour bridge. Oh yea great idea, it will only take me an extra 2 hours to get home, but good sight seeing! Anyway enough of my rant. I graduated from school 5 years ago so cya! Good luck for the HSC ;)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I bought an N97 a few months ago and I've had nothing but trouble. I hate when someone calls and the tilt makes the screen change and blank out, you can't even press the green/red button to pickup/hangup. Not only that the software is heaps buggy, I plugged it into the computer once and everything on my phone got deleted and all applications were uninstalled. The camera says its 5MP but the resolution is actually always shit (<2MP), and the flash is strategically placed so that if it ever goes off it leaves a nice white stain over the majority of the photo. I can't lock the phone too fast otherwise the screen stays on and drains the battery, I have to wait at least 3 seconds when I get to the home page to lock the phone. The navigation is slow, what I liked about the old nokias is that you can quickly navigate to somewhere by knowing exactly how many buttons to press. I like the whole concept of widgets on the front page but sometimes it just seems unnecessary to be loading facebook all the time. So I deleted the fb widget and now I just have shortcut icons and calender. Hmm what else. Oh yea I set up my emails so that I could check my emails from my phone, and then my phone started going off like an sms everytime I got a new email. Which is pretty freakin annoying. I don't really want to know when I get a new email all the time. I found a way to switch email tone off, but it still vibrates. So in the middle of the night I will hear this vibration next to me because someone on the otherside of the world has sent me some spam message using a mass mailer. I bought the N97 hoping it would be better than this friken apple crap that people keep calling revolutionary, but which is just a load of fragile, wasteful, technology that is so unecessary. But the N97 turned out to be a severe disappoinment. The ovi store is slow, (even with broadband connection) and there is jack shit on it anyway, and most of the shit actually cost more than $5 to buy. The ovi maps are not bad, but seriously I was using it the other day, it was telling me the best way to get to get home (hornsby) from lane cove was to make a slight detour across the harbour bridge. Oh yea great idea, it will only take me an extra 2 hours to get home, but good sight seeing! Anyway enough of my rant. I graduated from school 5 years ago so cya! Good luck for the HSC ;)
For what it's worth I have a lot of the same issues are you with my N97 Mini e.g. screen tilt (but this can be solved by disabling the Accelerometer in the Settings- works wonders), battery drain if you lock screen too quick and it doesn't turn off, Ovi store slow (and expensive), camera which looks crap, etc..

What I don't get is how it's supposed to beat the iPhone. On paper it beats it in every way but when you use it... well, it leaves you very disappointed.

That being said, iOS4 isn't as crash hot as I thought it'd be. There's still no central "home" screen which shows your sms, email, etc... and the multitasking isn't "true" multitasking (although I can see how it preserves battery life). Oh woe.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Thought I'd add that my N97 Mini has improved tremendously after installing the Nokia Messaging 10.2 update. It fixes the bugs which stopped me from emailing photos from the Gallery/Photos application (e.g. after taking a photo or when viewing). Bit late considering it's July 2010 now though and I've had the phone for 7 months.

Interestingly enough in the updates info, according to Messaging Blog this update has been available since February 2010 yet it only popped up on my Software Update last week. How odd.

Dirtbag Fashion

When I was a young boy...
HSC
N/A
We all laugh at Apple fanboys who blindly buy Apple products the moment Steve Jobs announces something. Then we laugh at the almost cliche anti-Apple club which is as non-conformist as... wait a sec, doesn't that mean they use Windows? (bar the <1% of people who use *nix of some sort). Anyway, at least those guys are buying products which have proven that with enough of a userbase, they get better, and with more support, there's more applications and features and bugfixes and things get better, etc...

I'm like that except for Nokia. For many years I've bought countless Nokias- off the top of my head I've owned: 3810, 6110, 3210, 6210, 8310, 3650, 6100, 7250i, 7610, e65, n93, e71, e51, n97 mini.... (also owned an SE w800i, Samsung D600, Ericsson T... somethingarather). The point is, I've stood by Nokias for a long time even when they started to become a bit boring and tried to reinvent themselves.

Now, despite buying flagship Nokias several times bar the luxury models, and typically at launch, I feel like I have been very left behind by Nokia as someone who they take for granted to pay lots of money for sub par products.

So what am I disappointed about?

The fact that Nokia releases buggy devices, buggy software, and doesn't do squat to fix it. The n97 mini was really the tipping point where I avoided buying an iPhone and thought Nokia's trusty series 60 interface would be the winner in the end especially with touch screen and better hardware (and supposedly a better camera).

The firmware- yes there are updates; but they're locked. I have an unlocked n97 mini yet I'm not able to access the latest firmware updates in Europe which have been out for 6 months now. My email still crashes and isn't reliable. I've had several hard resets and even lost the licence to some programs I paid for through Ovi store.

The applications- despite trying to mimic the Apple App Store, Ovi store is slow to load, feels half assed, and the other applications are just poorly implemented with touch screen controls which are clearly an afterthought. Nokia Email is a joke and so is their web browser. Doesn't even support secure online websites properly.

The battery life is decent at the start of every Nokia product but it's as if they have been designed with planned obsolescence from the start. My e71 barely lasts a day without a full recharge... and that's without me using it much now due to me being scared it'll run out before my work day is over.

Other features which were meant to be 'iPhone killer' such as tilt to switch orientation are fruitless. Why would I want a 'slide to answer' button if it moves when I pick up the phone (i.e. tilts from potrait to landscape). Making matters worse, the hardware is so laggy that the screen goes blank for about 2-3 seconds which means by the time the answer button reappears on the screen, it's too late to answer. Funnily enough the hardware buttons to call/end don't do anything when keylock was on (which is what your phone would usually be in if you were picking up a call and not already using your phone). In the end I found a way to turn orientation switch off.

Anyway the point of this rant is to warn people against buying Nokia stuff. The only reason I'm suckered into this is because AFAIK I can't synchronise calendar and contacts with my work software (Lotus Notes) and I have 1500+ contacts which may not transfer smoothly to another device; nor is there a comparable product which lets me synchronise two iPhones easily for contacts/etc without relying on a computer (I carry at least two phones all the time).

So as a heavy duty mobile phone user (monthly bill ranges from $100 to $200 not including handset costs), let this be a warning. There's probably a reason why every company is trying to match the damn iPhone.
tl;dr

i bought a nokia phone but then put an apple sticker on the front so i could have the best phone eva

Last edited:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
N97 Mini started turning off/resetting again and sometimes it takes a long time before email loads again (i.e. phone loads, but menus are blank and say "Folder is empty" and applications won't actually open even if you click on the shortcut).

Maybe I should just move to Blackberry!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)