Why is everyone choosing finance with engneering? (1 Viewer)

jannny

HSC
Can anyone tel me why please? I am doin civil engo/comm atm.

scora

HSC
im guessing, that to an employer (within the finance industry) a person who has an engineering degree will develop some problem solving and logical reasoning skills and the finance would've provided them with an understanding of markets.
By combining the two, people would be able to make sounder decisions? thats just my opinion though and from what i've heard from some lecturers

my 2c-

hectic_lowie

Banned
HSC
people with engineering backgrounds are highly sought after in finance due to analytical problem solving skills and shit

combine that with a finance background

and

BAM

PiGMAN

HSC
They want to be like Gordon Gecko.
If you go to an IB with eng/commerce, they will cream their pants and you'll make multiples of an engineer's salary (assuming you don't get fired straight away, and can deal with 80+ hour weeks, and get a HD average).

kooltrainer

HSC
i would like to no the answer too.. a lot of people are doing eng/com(finance) combined yet i get asked by a lot of ppl "why are u doing it, they seem to be almost complete diferent set of things".. I want to no why im doing it as well.. =s.. probably coz every1 else is doing it lol..

but imo, i think its quite useless, however i heard that most engineerin firms CEOs have eng as well as a commerce background.

so tell me forum, why did u choose eng/com(fin)

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
Well finance is probably the most mathematical of the commerce majors (unless you do mathematical economics) so given that engineers have quite developed maths skills, it is probably the most appealing/easy.

Gmac_0

HSC
Because they want to become head of finance @ an engineering firm (which would presumably have a fairly good salary)?

Auroraboy

HSC
don't u all think
that financial
combine with engineering good
i am taking management engineering
and we learn finance as engineering
and it goods..:guitar:

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Well finance is probably the most mathematical of the commerce majors (unless you do mathematical economics) so given that engineers have quite developed maths skills, it is probably the most appealing/easy.
What about actuary?

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
What about actuary?
True, but actuarial science is not offered as a major in all BCom degrees across uni's. For instance, if you go to UOW (my uni) Finance would be the most mathematical major...

Also, I would argue that actuarial science is NOT really a commerce major...certainly fits within the applied mathematics department more neatly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)