Why Is It Hard To Achieve Band 6 In Standard English (1 Viewer)

broly_29

HSC
I was wondering why there are a low number of studnets who achieve band 6 for standard english. Iz it because it is marked hard or is it because it is scaled down?

How likely iz it to get band 6 in standard english?

plz share your thoughts

thanks

A l

HSC
N/A
The reason for the low number of students achieving a band 6 in English (Standard) is because most students simply do not have the capabilities to do so. Remember that English (Standard) and English (Advanced) students are compared on a common scale in the Area of Study Paper 1 and there is no discrimination between them in this paper. Also, in the Modules Paper 2, the marks are adjusted to fit the distribution of marks in the Area of Study paper. In other words, if the top student in English (Standard) achieves a mark 90 in the Area of Study paper, then that is the highest possible mark that a student can achieve in the Modules paper (and overall). The same applies for English (Advanced). Therefore the aligned marks given, are on a relatively similar scale for both English (Standard) and English (Advanced). It is because of the common course content of the Area of Study, in which most English (Standard) students score lower marks.
It is still possible for someone to excel past 91 (which is the highest aligned mark on record so far) and even further to the high band 6 range. If someone is able to achieve a really high score [i.e. x > 91] in the course then that means that this person must have excelled in the Area of Study paper in relative comparision to the English (Advanced) students and has remained consistent in the Modules paper. It's just that no one has achieved it yet. If you can excel in the English Area of Study Paper, well past most of the English (Advanced) students in the HSC and continue to perform that well in the Modules Paper, then there's no reason why you shouldn't get a band 6.

poopoohead

HSC
Also because when the 'new' HSC was introduced- the board of studies aimed to stop students 'dumming down' by choosing an easier course. Some really smart students that should have been in Advanced or 3 unit- were choosing standard and doing really well. Thats what my mum said anyway and shes an HSC teacher

Mc_Meaney

Banned
HSC
Low number?

Only 1 in in the however many years the New HSC has been running, according to our English Head (former)

It is also extremely difficult to get Band 5 for standard.

Work Hard and talk crap. As long as you can link it to the argument you should be fine.

A l

HSC
N/A
Actually 8 students in total have scored a band 6 in English (Standard) so far. One came from 2003, two came from 2004 and five came from 2005.

Phyuk_Yiu

http://co.bos.error2-1337
HSC
It's cause the fuckin teachers don't take Standard students seriously and don't teach us how to get the best marks, all they do is give us shit marks and go on about all this bullshit we should have done. Maybe if they actually taught us what to do we wouldn't be going so badly.
:burn:

Yes i am pissed off at the moment. I can't help being so pissed when i write about everything that's been taught to me (techniques, answering the Q's etc..) and still get around 70% for my trials.

taco man

don't know don't care
HSC
In my opinion I think that its probably because even before u start std english most ppl have an impending sense of pessimism about doing well in the course with all this negative hype about not being able to get band 6's, so they're already aiming for band 4's and 5's. Now let me ask u how will u do well in std english if you're disheartened and you don't think you have even the slightest chance to get a band 6.

comon lighten up guys... most of its in your head

Last edited:

lizziegirl

HSC
N/A
taco man said:
In my opinion I think that its probably because even before u start std english most ppl have an impending sense of pessimism about doing well in the course with all this negative hype about not being able to get band 6's, so they're already aiming for band 4's and 5's. Now let me ask u how will u do well in std english if you're disheartened and you don't think you have even the slightest chance to get a band 6.

comon lighten up guys... most of its in your head
i agree. ppl usu. think that theyre gonna fuck up stan. english and go in with this 'oh i suck at english, might as well resign myself to thinking that.' then they wonder why they got so crap in the exams. remember the positive chee from the north. ;)

Last edited:

Joel99

HSC
broly_29 said:
I was wondering why there are a low number of studnets who achieve band 6 for standard english. Iz it because it is marked hard or is it because it is scaled down?

How likely iz it to get band 6 in standard english?

plz share your thoughts

thanks
You spell "is" with a "z" and you wonder why you dont do well in english? Spelling it "iz" isn't even abbreviating, it would take just as much effort to write is!

DeathB4Life

Bánned
HSC
yes but it increases your coolness points by 0.25 every time you a "z" instead of an "s", while using an "a" instead of "er" only increases it by 0.1

gfforker

HSC
Phyuk_Yiu said:
It's cause the fuckin teachers don't take Standard students seriously and don't teach us how to get the best marks, all they do is give us shit marks and go on about all this bullshit we should have done. Maybe if they actually taught us what to do we wouldn't be going so badly.
:burn:

Yes i am pissed off at the moment. I can't help being so pissed when i write about everything that's been taught to me (techniques, answering the Q's etc..) and still get around 70% for my trials.
haha...maybe i'm a chinese, i got 40% for my trials...did fine in other subs like 3u maths, phy and chem....man...i hate english...english should not be compulsory...maths should:burn::burn:~!!!!

Beege

HSC
yeh not picking at least advanced english or 2 unit maths is my biggest regret

as i do std english and gen maths

and yeh std english is f**ked

maplebubbles06

HSC
Well.. my thoughts is that practically half the state every year (check board of studies statisics) achieve a band 3. They do get students who get band 4 but very few in the top 2 bands.. as one post was saying, it also depends on how welll you do in the area of study, as ive seen with the posts. I read the marking guidelines over the past 5 years and it says that a lot of students 'heavily relied on recount or narrative' in their responses and this most likely doesnt achieve a band 4+ results. Our skool tends to like train us in getting us out of a band 3-4 range mark. Plus some related texts for the modules were simply 'inapproriate' like the three little pigs, or big brother. I guess those people who get those results dont have the proper training from the teachers (or experienced who dont know how to teach). Beside all tht talking.. i also do math ext 1, bio, chem, indonesian cont (those ones will hopefully get a good mark), plus standard.

The modules paper this year was really good.... Ask me for the questions if u wanna know ok??

Thats my thoughts...Plus a lot of people do standard anyway.. check it on boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au

p342i

HSC
Joel99 said:
You spell "is" with a "z" and you wonder why you dont do well in english? Spelling it "iz" isn't even abbreviating, it would take just as much effort to write is!
A bit hypocritical, don't you think Joel?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)