Why is it that senior science is so unpopular on here? (1 Viewer)

gem_max

HSC
In my school, senior science was the biggest non maths/english class yet on here it seems to be as unpopulated as some of the languages. Is it because it scales poorly or something? I really enjoyed senior science and we had one of the school's best teachers. Cant remember actually doing much work in the classroom because I was too busy making beds out of the stools but the work and exams were actually kind of interesting and not stressful. I called it my holiday subject.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
I think its mainly the fact that it is low scaling, and it isn't seen as a true science (not that any high school science really is science, but meh)

gem_max

HSC
Ah righto.

Haha I remember that at the beginning of year 12 instead of shrinking our SS class grew because of all the people that got sick of bio and physics and transferred to it instead.

a8o

HSC
Perhaps people who do SS aren't the sorts of people who see benefit in coming on here?

Will Hunting

HSC
It's not that it's bad, or lacking in merit in any way, shape or form, for that matter, but it's just that its reputation isn't up to scratch. It's viewed as inferior to the other strains of science. Neither the origin of this view, nor the truth, or lack thereof, in this appraisal seems to matter though. It's unfounded public sentiment that's given Senior Science this particular notoriety, and there probably isn't much that can be done about it.

table for 1

dreaming... sigh...
HSC
N/A
meh... our school doesn't offer senior science, or environmental science. so i guess since no one does it, no one would come on

maybe senior science just isn't that popular because ppl would rather only do the branch of science they were interested in

dawso

needmorecustomstatusspace
HSC
its not only the number of people that do the course, its the type of people and whether they would come online, hence, most people that would sign up for a school themed website are smarter 'nerdy' people, therefore, the number of threads in the 4unit and computer subjects is high...

also, the average uai of bored people would hav 2 be somewhere in the 90s... check old polls for this if u really wanna know, basically, the people in these forums are intelligent people, and hence dont really do senior science....

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
gem_max said:
In my school, senior science was the biggest non maths/english class yet on here it seems to be as unpopulated as some of the languages. Is it because it scales poorly or something? I really enjoyed senior science and we had one of the school's best teachers. Cant remember actually doing much work in the classroom because I was too busy making beds out of the stools but the work and exams were actually kind of interesting and not stressful. I called it my holiday subject.
Probably because alot of ppl on BoS did all the harder subjects. I personally did Senior and got Band 6
Also its an easier subject and therefore has a lower scaling and rep amongst those in the know

santaslayer

HSC
Our school had a 'placement test' at the end of yr 10 to see what type of subjects were most suited to us in yr 11 + 12. People who did poorly in biology, physics and chemistry were recommended to undertake senior science if they were still willing to do science. In other words, our school potrayed the point of view that only people who can't do a proper science subject do senior science....lol

gem_max

HSC
cripes I loved it yet it seems so many people consider it a dummies subject. I got the 5th highest UAI in my school and although it wasnt a hard subject it wasnt a breeze either... maybe I made it that way cos I worked hard and took it seriously. Funny thing is that biology was regarded as the easy science in our school hahaha. We must be a bit muddled out my way...

DjSmiG

HSC
i do SS only coz i dropped chem and might aswell fill the gap, its extremely easy, yet fun to learn about, i went from chem to that with kids who arnt so bright , first test im raping it:D lol im like 1st hahaha so i should be

Snow Pea!

Touch it Bring it Pay it
HSC
i picked it cos i like science in general.. not just neparticular one.. plus i was doing well in it and if i get high marks itll bring up my crappy maths and japanese ones! :D

Gummy_bear

HSC
i personally think that senior science is a really god topic! i like not having to focus on one particular area of science, ie. biology. and at my school, some of the topics we do is a lot like what bio and physics do, we just dont do it the whole year.
at the moment, we are doing disasters, and some of the weather stuff we do links with geography.
its good for me, because im good at science, i could just never focus on one thing, id get too bored, i like to discover all that science has to offer.

HSC
I was just wondering, do your schools offer Senior science in yr11? Cause mine only offers it in yr12 and from what I have heard, other schools do it in yr11 as well. So wouldn't that be disadvantaging people who only do it in yr12?

LexxY

s2 Ralf. Marry me!
HSC
dawso said:
its not only the number of people that do the course, its the type of people and whether they would come online, hence, most people that would sign up for a school themed website are smarter 'nerdy' people, therefore, the number of threads in the 4unit and computer subjects is high...

also, the average uai of bored people would hav 2 be somewhere in the 90s... check old polls for this if u really wanna know, basically, the people in these forums are intelligent people, and hence dont really do senior science....
Just cos you aren't intelligent doesn't mean you do senior science. I was doing physics in year 11, and I hated it. It wasn't hard, hey I was doing ext 1 maths getting about 80%... but the only reason I did physics was because my lines didn't work out. I wanted chem, but yeah. Didn't want to be bored as any longer. Now I'm doing Senior Science, getting in the mid to top nineties. So I would have to say your statement is general, but wrong.

I think Senior Science is an awesome subject, that is really underated. There is so much you have to remember too! Well yeah, it is easier but it isn't getting the credit it deserves. Maybe it would if people stopped calling it the 'stupid science'.

And yeah... our school does offer SS in year 11.

Last edited:

alissa_xoxo

Share the Love.
HSC
colboltic_dream said:
I was just wondering, do your schools offer Senior science in yr11? Cause mine only offers it in yr12 and from what I have heard, other schools do it in yr11 as well. So wouldn't that be disadvantaging people who only do it in yr12?
My school offered it in year 11. It's not an advantage to have studied it in year 11.. because the subject matter is entirely different in year 12.

I love senior science, despite the fact that our teacher is the head science teacher and never in class. I chose it because i like science but i wanted to devote more time to English & Eng Ext.

It's fun, and relaxing.. SS was the best subject choice i made

lingling888

HSC
i was wondering if i could ask u ppls a questions about SS...
im currently doing the course chemistry and *sigh* im not doing really well in it. im like failing in it as i havent been doing well in all my exams...(like literally)

and i have been considering about doing senior science, but im freaked out by the scaling! >.< as i heard it scales u down really low and compared to chemistry, chemistry seems much better! but then again im not doing well in it....

and like i already talk to my chem teacher about it and she said as long as u do well, the scaling doesnt matter, but then i hear from everyone else dats it's stupid to do it and not worth it! >.<
i just want to hear from someone who had done senior science here, like how was it and like how did it impacted on ur UAI.....

i would really appreciate it if someone can reply to this message, as i am really stressed out about it! >.<
like im just scared will this be a bad decision to make, as my target for the UAI is 95 (as i hope i will get), so i was wondering will the course SS drag down the UAI.....?

i hope someone can answer my questions. ^^

alissa_xoxo

Share the Love.
HSC
I haven't got my UAI yet, but consider this..

If your failing Chem, that will impact on your UAI more than getting a high 90's in senior science (because it is incredibly easy to get 90-100).

Senior science is a great subject <3 . Simple and interesting

Sorry i can't really help!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)