• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Why is Law so popular? (2 Viewers)

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
that was pretty immature of me, pardon me...

If you think it is going to be like suits, you're going to have a bad time... one of the main characters isn't even a law graduate... :lol:

It'll probably be more like this :haha:

(in all srsness, I think most people know Suits is an unrealistic representation of the legal profession but people still strive to become the next Harvey Specter~)

enoilgam

HSC
- Jobs in law are not secure. The market is very tight because there are so many graduates, conditions are poor, wages are low outside of the top tier firms. Starting a law degree with the expectation that you'll walk into a job that less than 5% of graduates will get is naive. Disregard anyone's opinion who isn't actually a lawyer, what would they know? If you know anyone who is in their 20's or 30's who is working in a law firm (even as a paralegal) ask them.
I wouldnt say conditions are poor, but it isnt a glamorous job I will say that. Like I said in another thread, having worked in HR in a top firm has seriously validated my decision to drop out of Law in uni. Certainly not something I'd like to do.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
I wouldnt say conditions are poor, but it isnt a glamorous job I will say that. Like I said in another thread, having worked in HR in a top firm has seriously validated my decision to drop out of Law in uni. Certainly not something I'd like to do.
It depends on where you land, but the hours are certainly disproportionate to the rewards. There's alot of burn out.

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
Law isn't that prestigious at all and as for the pay it's not that great. It's a highly competitive market out there - some people apply for 30 or more firms - culled at screening stage. You have to be a close to top student with an excellent CV (extra-curricular, relevant work experience & recommendations), cover letter and just plainly someone that can along with HR/partners. What I can positively say about a law degree is that it equips you with the requisite skills to pursue a broad spectrum of careers and from speaking to firms it is something that employers value. Also, with law you can find out more about yourself than you ever could before.

Last edited:

enoilgam

HSC
You have to be a close to top student with an excellent CV (extra-curricular, relevant work experience & recommendations), cover letter and just plainly someone that can along with HR/partners.
This is what's going to get you the job really, they look for a very specific type of person who can charm the pants off clients. In terms of getting passed screening, there is a much stronger emphasis on grades and law experience (the latter of which is very discriminatory I think). Also, Asian language speakers are highly favoured by many firms, since the Asia market seems to be a huge focus nowadays.

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
Because people think lawyers make money, that it opens up career paths, and they are risk-averse. Little do they know. Oh well. They'll learn.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)