Why is researching so hard (1 Viewer)

red152

HSC
I have been researching for hours and I've barely had anything to gain from it. I end up reading pages and pages of information and I don't seem to be getting any closer to finishing this essay I have to complete. I really need help, and any tips on how to research properly for history would be GREATLY appreciated.

FootballRobotic

HSC
N/A
Ikr! I feel the way you do...

Don't have any tips. Just wanted to say I feel the same :3

Sp3ctre

HSC
If you're looking for something specific use Ctrl+F, helps a lot by navigating keywords only and saves you time from reading a whole lot of useless information.

Valentino Rossi 46

HSC
I have written countless history essays in my time. To give you a rough idea, it takes 1 hour to produce 100 words.
So if you have a 1,500 word essay, you should give yourself 15 hours working time. Keep going! Take notes because something you read early on that you think is not relevant maybe of use to you later on.

RenegadeMx

Kosovo is Serbian
HSC
Uni Grad
lol just read intro/conclusion

kids these days forgot about efficiency

nineteenninetynine

HSC
Hi!

A good place to start would be the HSC (or GCE A Levels) textbooks. They should contain relevant source material from the main schools of historians. I would also recommend you use google scholar or JSTOR for academic articles. If in need of greater detail, the works of prominent historians e.g. Ian Kershaw, Richard Evans, etc would be worth reading.

For the Germany national study, I found SJ Lee very useful for my research essay. His books cover the content and historiography in far greater detail than some of the HSC textbooks (particularly Ken Webb).

Last edited:

mcchicken

madman in a box
HSC
I like researching, will accept that I'm in the minority on that though. However I will echo what queen said.... it won't get any better from here my friend.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)