• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Why is there no medicine based subject? (1 Viewer)

Should there be a year 11 and 12 Medical/Medicine based subject?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

smiller2144

HSC
It would be really great if there were a subject that focuses on medicine. Let me explain.

In the sciences area we've got senior science, biology, physics, chemistry and earth and environmental science.

Senior science is a mix of everything.
Biology is living things, evolution, humans, organisms, plants etc.
Physics, chemistry and e&e science is self explanatory.

Medical areas are covered in senior science, biology and chemistry. From what I know, most heavily in senior science, if pharmaceuticals is chosen in the hsc course.

My question is why is there no dedicated 'Medicine' or 'Medical Studies' or something like that. A Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery takes 5 to 6 years. So saying that there isent enough to cover for year 11 and 12 in terms of content is rubbish.

It would be really cool to do, you could cover all sorts of areas like anatomy, disease, diagnostics, medical technology, advancements in medicine, ethics and morals and even philosophical studies of medicine.

What are your thoughts?

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
It would be really great if there were a subject that focuses on medicine. Let me explain.

In the sciences area we've got senior science, biology, physics, chemistry and earth and environmental science.

Senior science is a mix of everything.
Biology is living things, evolution, humans, organisms, plants etc.
Physics, chemistry and e&e science is self explanatory.

Medical areas are covered in senior science, biology and chemistry. From what I know, most heavily in senior science, if pharmaceuticals is chosen in the hsc course.

My question is why is there no dedicated 'Medicine' or 'Medical Studies' or something like that. A Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery takes 5 to 6 years. So saying that there isent enough to cover for year 11 and 12 in terms of content is rubbish.

It would be really cool to do, you could cover all sorts of areas like anatomy, disease, diagnostics, medical technology, advancements in medicine, ethics and morals and even philosophical studies of medicine.

What are your thoughts?
Sounds like bio to me tbh

And tbh idk how much of a "taste" it would give you of uni because it would be much harder

smiller2144

HSC
If we're going by your logic, then having medicine as a standalone subject would basically get rid of senior science, chemistry, biology and physics. But the main problem with your post is that not many would know what they want to as a career in this point of time, as the purpose of high school is to give you a gist of how things work. That also answers your next Q; the content to cover in year 11 and 12 isn't exactly relevant to your future course save for general maths and some economics concepts; because HS isn't really supposed to give you a direct outlet to what you what do with your life since the majority of students would only pick subjects that they like.

But to be honest, it wouldn't work (and frankly it's a silly suggestion haha), because you already have plenty of options offered at uni for medicine and obviously other degrees.
Hmm I see what you mean, didn't think of that. However my logic wouldn't get rid of all other science subjects, just more focused entirely medicine. Just a thought.

Last edited:

teridax

HSC
N/A
Hmm I see what you mean, didn't think of that. However my logic wouldn't get rid of all other science subjects, just more focused entirely medicine. Just a thought.
But that would also result in the creation of a skewed HS version of medicine, which wouldn't have much benefit in the long term.

Librah

Not_the_pad
HSC
You need to know basics before you get to the more complex stuff. Pretty sure biology covers that.

But this is like saying, "Hey, i'm doing an advanced science degree, why are there no advanced HSC sciences?"

smiller2144

HSC
But that would also result in the creation of a skewed HS version of medicine, which wouldn't have much benefit in the long term.
Actually that is a really good point. If there was a Medical subject, It could be full of questions like:

"John has fallen down the stairs, his leg hurts alot. What condition is he suffering from?"
A: A heart attack
B: Cardiac arrest
C: Pneumonia
D: A broken leg

Jokes aside, good point.

Librah

Not_the_pad
HSC
They aren't going to create a medicine-based subject just to cater for the overwhelming minority that may actually get into medicine in uni.

smiller2144

HSC
They aren't going to create a medicine-based subject just to cater for the overwhelming minority that may actually get into medicine in uni.
Hahahahaha true, true.
But remember there is medical science, nursing, health science, physiotherapy and so on. But good point.

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
From what I know, Medicine is barely covered in biology, like 1 or 2 topics have something to do with medicine.
I can give you one example of every area you mentioned covered in biology. It's a taster subject. It's enough for HS.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
Actually that is a really good point. If there was a Medical subject, It could be full of questions like:

"John has fallen down the stairs, his leg hurts alot. What condition is he suffering from?"
A: A heart attack
B: Cardiac arrest
C: Pneumonia
D: A broken leg

Jokes aside, good point.
C

am I right?

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A

What are your thoughts?
1. You learn about the basic anatomy of the larynx, eye and ear and their functions iirc.
2. There is a whole topic on disease
3. diagnostics fall under the disease topic (infectious/non infectious diseases/history of vaccines/basic immunity etc.)
4. medical technology iirc you learn about kidney dialysis
5. advancements are kind of stuff like HRT and synthetic blood
6. morals/ethics are discussed a lot in the disease topic and genetics iirc (like for e.g. IVF, surrogacy)

annabelkarenabel

HSC
As for me, i want to do medicine in the future, but to do so, i need to physics and chemistry. I have chosen all three (Bio, Chem, Phys) i think it is irrelevant that we need to do all three, so there should be a subject dedicated to medicine. In many schools, they have a subject for engineering, so why not have one for medicine?? even if they do create a subject like such... it will be too late for me.. so at least for the future students... they should take this into consideration.

Fiction

HSC
I thought PDHPE was somewhat like a medicine based subject

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
I thought PDHPE was somewhat like a medicine based subject
It is, to an extent though- First hand experience because I do the subject.
You're right, if anything, I see PDHPE and Biology as the closest in terms of medical subjects.
Exactly! I do PD only so I will have a more biased opinion on that subject in terms of medical content.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)