• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Why is uni done in semesters not trimesters? (1 Viewer)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
SweetSeasons said:
So here is my bitch of the day...

Why is uni done in semesters not trimesters?

Ok so I figure I'm in actual classes at uni 24 weeks of the year... then there is 4 weeks of exams... and 2 weeks of study breaks... and get this 22 weeks of holidays... could we not put another 15 weeks worth of classes/exams/exam breaks into that 22 weeks? This still leaves 7 weeks a year for holidays... this is more then the average person gets a year.
Holidays would work like this 1 week off in the middle of each trimester, 1 week off between each trimester.. except for the chrissy/new years break where we get 2 weeks off.

But why, do you ask, why would someone want to work for an extra 15 weeks a year? Well the answer to this is simple really..

semesters = 4 years to complete 32 units
trimesters = 2 and 2/3 years to complete 32 units

This means we have over a year taken off our degree... which means we have a year of our lives freed up for travel, or work, or bumming and even making mistakes...

My vote is to move from semester study to trimester study...

Ange
For most people, University is the best time of their life. I can't imagine shortening a 3 (or 4) year degree to 2 years, and entering the workforce so quickly. I doubt employers would also favour someone who has so little time to absorb information.
With the current system, there's plenty of time to work in the holidays, travel, and do whatever one wants. Also, internships are easy to manage with the current setup.
Furthermore, the point of uni is to do well, and not cram as much information in as little time as possible.

Most of all, however, this is impossible. A semester goes for about 15 weeks. Add three weeks after this for exams and marking. That's about 18 weeks. 18 times 3 = 54 weeks. So, you're saying that you want to be at uni 54 weeks a year? No breaks whatsoever?

Last edited:

SweetSeasons

HSC
Krieg said:
How old were you when you started uni? I'm going to be 21 when I finish...

18 when i started, did a year of a diff degree transferd into a 4 year degree.. = 23ish when i finish..

also... who ever said 15.. my uni has 12 weeks of classes per semester, 1 week holiday per semester, 1 week stuvac per semester and 2 weeks of exams per semester..

stazi

Nightman
HSC
ok, in that case you have 16 weeks a semester. Lecturers need time to mark exams, etc in between semesters. You also need to know your marks before you go on to later subjects (e.g. you can't do MKTG1002 without 1001 if you catch my drift, and if you fail the former, you can't do the latter). So let's give them 2 weeks for marking and reporting. That's 18, ie. the same number I gave you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)