Why McCain will lose (1 Viewer)

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
Actually I do the same thing (which is why I had the link on hand), so it's all good.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Fuck u guys
Look out for me on NPC at midday ABC tomorrow. Will be naked in fetal position, with most hair and teeth ripped out. Otherwise keep ear out for wailing

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Will pm u babe
cam?

Captin gay

Supremacist.
HSC
zimmerman8k said:
Imo there's a good chance Obama is a closet atheist/agnostic.

But you can be president unless you constantly stress how much you love god/america.
His Mum and Dad were atheists

I think that was one of Chris Hitchens' hypotheses: he joined a church to further his political aspirations

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
Captin gay said:
His Mum and Dad were atheists

I think that was one of Chris Hitchens' hypotheses: he joined a church to further his political aspirations
Yeah, he joined the church 20 years ago because when he was 27, he knew he'd run for president and that they wouldn't vote for an atheist.

It does sound rather like something the McCain campaign would try to spin.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Why is that not convincing? Who converts at 27? Esp a guy of his intelligence. It appears that his whole life has been leading up to this point. He's one of the most disciplined politicians of the modern age. I think he genuinely didnt care what Wright was saying because he was only there for appearances

His biggest gaffe was the 'bitter folks clinging to guns and religion' moment, and was the closet he came to being shat on. I think it accidentally exposed him briefly

Captin gay

Supremacist.
HSC
Iron said:
His biggest gaffe was the 'bitter folks clinging to guns and religion' moment, and was the closet he came to being shat on. I think it accidentally exposed him briefly
I <3'd that straight-talking elitism.

Captin gay

Supremacist.
HSC
nothing wrong with wanting rural voters to better themselves and their community instead of stagnating. Obama phased it crudely, but pretty much all liberals think what he thinks

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
Captin gay said:
I <3'd that straight-talking elitism.
Yeah, it was spot on.

And lol at Iron's theory that he joined Trinity Church 20 years ago because he's a "closet atheist" (like that exists).

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
? It's hardly a controversial theory. This is a ruthless, driven guy. His life story appears to be built around this one goal - fast-track to the most powerful job on earth. Religion is very important to political appeal in America. The bitterness/religion comment was a telling moment, as were the statements against absolute truth. I dont see how you can heap praise on him for his perceived leftist/liberal politics, Slidey, then rush to his defence when someone questions his faith.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
I just get the vibe that he's only religious enough to pick up the massive throng of idiots who are totally satisfied by church attendance, but for the deeper more liberal audience, he sets off these little signals to suggest that he's not crazy and religion is not important to him
He's a very smart guy. Cake and eat too

55HS

HSC
was his grandmother an atheist? The one who raised him? If she was that'd be rather interesting. Well it sounds like from my quick research his maternal grandparents (who raised him) and his mother and father were all atheists or at least extremely secular... There may be some truth to this afterall.

I don't think I'd say he's an atheist while he continues to label himself as a christian though, because tbh that's all that I really think a lot of the time separates an atheist from a 'christian', it's just that one chooses to wear the label and maybe their 'hope' on their chest while the other doesn't.

Last edited:

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
Miles Edgeworth said:
I'm kind of inclined to agree with Alex's theory in that he moved towards religion for personal benefit.

Is that such a terrible assertion?
Yes, because it hinges on a Drudge-type paranoia that Obama decided to pretend to be Christian for some far-off political gain before he even applied to Harvard.

And what political gain? It hardly matters for the Illinois senate, or does Iron think he planned this all out 20 years ago to become president?

It's somewhat similar to the theories about how he killed his grandmother to get sympathy votes.

Unless one of the right-wingers can provide some sort of proof besides their "gut instincts", I'm gonna go shave with Occam's Razor.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Would you be blown away at the revelation that a 27yo made the conscious decision to do anything to become President? People can form ambitions in their 20s too!
omg! no! conspiracy! Obama's accidentally a candidate and the people forced him to do it, against his will! he is a servant of the people, tho he's not really served them b4!

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Yer! He was but a humble cog for America, but the people recognised his brilliance and forced him to be president! He had no ambitions at all. It's nothing to do with Obama, it's all about the people. He is but a vessle of their wishes

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)