Why must English count towards your ATAR? (1 Viewer)

MouseTop

HSC
you probably have, just informally and in your head

once you get past the 'sophisticated' language, and semi-restrictive conventions on essay writing, english is actually a pretty intuitive subject

it's basically what you think about this, in relation to this
I'd say I might've to a degree, but I've never though about themes, ideas, motifs and techniques while reading a book, I've just enjoyed it. In fact, analysing it and maybe even over analysing it makes the book much less enjoyable for me.

A1P

HSC
iirc it's because the UAC need a common subject to be the basis of scaling:
I think it's BOSTE that does the scaling for your HSC. Making English compulsory is fine, whether or not it is to be the basis of scaling.

ATAR is a separate matter done by UAC. It's UAC's policy to include English in the ATAR calculation even if it's your 11th/12th highest mark.

What OP proposes is indeed the case in WA. We are required to do minimum 5 or optionally 6 subjects, English must be one of these & requires at least a pass. ATAR uses the 4 highest marks so English can be 5th/6th and not counted towards ATAR (but still applicable to the HSC).

Last edited:

Mongoose528

HSC
Here in WA, english is compulsory but your atar only comprises of your best 4 subjects (8 units). So if you just pass english, and you do much better in your other subjects, english won't count towards your atar.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)