Why so many finance majors in Com/Law? (1 Viewer)

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
Hmm I would have thought courses such as FINS2622 Emerging Capital Markets and FINS3775 Research Methods in Finance 1 would have been almost completely theory and not mathematical?

Someone correct me if i'm wrong. But finance - if the right electives can be selected - will require little or easy-version (i.e. hsc 2u) maths no?

sunjet

Hip-Hop Saved My Life
HSC
yes they can, i think you take around 7, 4 being requirements.

@maths: you'll be fine.. it's all basically new formula's and applying them and general 2U knowledge (ie. logs) or what i've done so far, which is not much :p

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
I've seen respectable Asians do law for that reason...
Stop being so racist and judgemental...
Who are you to criticise anyone? Pathetic

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
Sorry for being offtrack but if her nick's also her surname .. that would mean she's asian too :uhhuh:

I fail to see how law helps you be an IB (internet banking)?

Wouldn't it be all commerce that gets you into such a profession ...

CrashOveride

HSC
bobness said:

Don't forget to throw in a bit of Javascript, too.

phrred

HSC
Omnidragon said:
I've seen respectable Asians do law for that reason...
Stop being so racist and judgemental...
Who are you to criticise anyone? Pathetic
Its the sad reality: a large majority of asians do law to get into Investment Banking and because their parents say it sounds good and has a cutoff of 99+

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
bobness said:
Sorry for being offtrack but if her nick's also her surname .. that would mean she's asian too :uhhuh:

ill take it the IB thing is a joke =P

apparnatly coz law helps u with ur communication and critical thinking.. also research (actuary student at mq bank told me this)

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
LOOOOOOL yeah internet banking :p they should have something for that

Investment banking sounds shifty to mwah

sunjet

Hip-Hop Saved My Life
HSC
because there is laws that govern the financial system :x ?

turtleface

HSC
sunjet said:
because there is laws that govern the financial system :x ?
i would have thought law is related to accounting the most, especially as all accounting majors require at least 3 law subjects

turtleface

HSC
lol the word law is actually quite funny

especially given so many people do law nowdays. you often meet someone who says "I do commerce LOOOORRRREEEE"

lol
LORRREEE
LORE

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
phrred said:
Its the sad reality: a large majority of asians do law to get into Investment Banking and because their parents say it sounds good and has a cutoff of 99+
My criticism is

a) I don't even know of any Asian who chose comm/law to do IB (apart from ppl who transferred). Do they even know about IB when they graduate? I reckon most find out when they are around 2nd year in uni.

They probably chose comm/law because they thought it'd open up the most opportunities. Doesn't anyone who choose comm/law think along those lines, rather than just Asians?

b) Even if what you say were true, what's so sad? I'm not in a position to judge other people's career aspirations. Saying that people who aspire to get into IB are sad is just as bad as IB aspirants who say accountants suck and have no future..

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
It is a matter of opinion. I said it's what they thought.

I know it's very easy to read my posts with some predetermined idea of what I am going to say. After all, you know my stance and it's only natural to assume that. It's like the accounting/finance discussion I had with turtleface.

Anyway... I don't want to get into arguments over why the people think comm/law opens up most opportunities. There are people out there who do arts/science because they think it opens up most opportunities too. Are we going to call them sad? Probably not...! Are we going to call comm/law people sad? Probably... This is what I'm complaining about.

My bottom line is respect all people's opinions and stop stereotyping, especially in reference to the very first guy who talked about sad Asians doing comm/law. Just as much as you hate snobby comm/law Asian dicks, I hate your generalisations.

phrred

HSC
Omnidragon said:
My criticism is

a) I don't even know of any Asian who chose comm/law to do IB (apart from ppl who transferred). Do they even know about IB when they graduate? I reckon most find out when they are around 2nd year in uni.

They probably chose comm/law because they thought it'd open up the most opportunities. Doesn't anyone who choose comm/law think along those lines, rather than just Asians?

b) Even if what you say were true, what's so sad? I'm not in a position to judge other people's career aspirations. Saying that people who aspire to get into IB are sad is just as bad as IB aspirants who say accountants suck and have no future..
Go have a walk around UNSW law faculty and ull see
And I wasnt payin out ppl wanting to get into IB, im payin out people who do law to get into IB even if they have no interest in law and the humanities

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
bobness said:
did not have me trying to break you apart.

Geez :eek:
Neither mate.

as far as generalisations, what you said about 'most people' choosing comm/law, and asians 'guilty of this'.

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
You need to refer to your original post within its context.

The generalisation I was referring to relates to your point that 'most people choose comm/law because of the high UAI cutoff'.

Whether it's the most popular law combo is one thing. I might concede that point to you... it doesn't matter either way.

However, what you actually said was it's the most popular law combo because of the high UAI... which is another thing. I do not agree with that... it's not the most popular because of a high UAI, and secondly it is not the most popular law combo at my uni. And no... you did not mention UNSW.

I accept your point about tongue in cheek.

Finally, why does it matter whether I'm another 'self-righteous Asian'. And what do you mean conforming with society? What you said was 'it does appear only the Asians are guilty of this at times'... that's not comforming to society. It's more like being different from society.

turtleface

HSC
:: ck :: said:
apparnatly coz law helps u with ur communication and critical thinking..

hahahaahahahahahahahaha an oxymoron if i ever saw one. one look at legislation will erase anyone's belief that studying law improves communication.

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
well compared to a course like mine where its all calculations ... with the odd essay or two here and there...

i can see why they say law helps with communication.. (im not just referrin to speaking skills.. writing mainly) ... they write a lot more essays etc... than ppl like me =P

turtleface

HSC
yeah but the thing is everything written that is connected to law are examples of very bad english.

even accounting standards are not saved from being confusing and ambigious

if you mean law helping with expressing one self in a foolish manner, then i wholeheartedly agree

turtleface

HSC
bobness said:
i think he means public speaking or something i.e. mooting and fronting a law court.

you'll need some decent communication then
oh. but are you sure law students get experience in that? I've never had any doing law stuff, its just been piles of legislation and cases. I think fronting up at court is the domain of barristers, and thats a while off.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)