• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Why the Japanese whaling "scientists" are batshit (1 Viewer)

island refuge

HSC
Kangaroos are not endangered. Whales are. Also, whales are killed in an "inhumane" way, with explosive tipped harpoons, and may take hours to die. Kangaroos are killed as quickly as possible to minimise distress, and are legally allowed to be hunted. Whales aren't.

zstar

HSC
N/A
Kangaroos are not endangered. Whales are. Also, whales are killed in an "inhumane" way, with explosive tipped harpoons, and may take hours to die. Kangaroos are killed as quickly as possible to minimise distress, and are legally allowed to be hunted. Whales aren't.
Human's aren't endangered so why don't we harpoon or shoot some humans for consumption?

island refuge

HSC
Feel free. I'm sure the label "cannibal" would have human society love you. Also, there's such a thing called murder, which generally gets the person responsible in trouble.

Last edited:

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Cannibalism is a taboo for perfectly sane biological reasons.

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
Human's aren't endangered so why don't we harpoon or shoot some humans for consumption?
Yeah give the Green Peace boats harpoons and tell them to go nuts.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC

• I wonder what endangers more whales (at least for instance minke whales), is it the small Japanese catch or is it more likely to be things like Global Warming, pollution, or as the article above points out declining krill populations. Perhaps Japan could offset its catch to minimise the harm even further by having more krill fisheries
  • Whales are killed in an inhumane way... Some of us don't care about being humane to animals, as long as it's not just mindless barbarism and we do our best. Certainly all over our livestock industry you'll see suffering at a level not exceeded by what happens to whales.
  • It's legal to hunt kangaroos and illegal to hunt whales... The question at hand is whether it should be legal, so simply stating that it is illegal contributes nothing.

Last edited:

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
[*]Kangaroos are not endangered... Neither are some whales, in fact some scientists maintain that the culling of minke whales is sustainable - Flannery says Japan whaling 'sustainable' | News.com.au Top stories | News.com.au
With respect, Tim Flannery is not a biologist, ecologist, or a marine mammal scientist. We don't know enough about minke whales to determine even their conservation status.

[*]I wonder what endangers more whales (at least for instance minke whales), is it the small Japanese catch or is it more likely to be things like Global Warming, pollution, or as the article above points out declining krill populations. Perhaps Japan could offset its catch to minimise the harm even further by having more krill fisheries
Krill fisheries? Krill is not an economically viable fishery for human consumption, given there is currently limited human market for it (it's used as fish bait and feed); therefore, it is unlikely that Japan will invest in krill fisheries to "offset" whaling activities.

[*]Whales are killed in an inhumane way... a) Some of us don't care about being humane to animals, as long as it's not just mindless barbarism and we do our best. Certainly all over our livestock industry you'll see suffering at a level not exceeded by what happens to whales.
Average time to death from first shooting ranges from instantaneous death (rare) to 45 minutes. Livestock are rarely left in this state, at least in Australia. Leaving an animal to bleed to death is what I would call "mindless barbarism".

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
With respect, Tim Flannery is not a biologist, ecologist, or a marine mammal scientist. We don't know enough about minke whales to determine even their conservation status.
Tim Flannery is definitely a biologist, in fact quite the respected one from my understanding. Also I'm not particularly certain I'd want to take the word of people who have decided to devote their lives to whales, they obviously are quite fond of the creatures so I'm cautious about what would no doubt be their overwhelming majority opinion.

Would you agree that it is scientifically arguable that some minke culls could be sustainable? Certainly there is all sorts of disagreement about the numbers, but with the current IWC estimate at 665,074 they'd have to be pretty damn far off the mark for the small numbers japan/norway/iceland are after to be putting them at any serious endangerment.

Perhaps you can argue that this is not economically viable... but that doesn't really matter to me. If they want to do this fishing at an economic loss for some reason so be it.

Krill fisheries? Krill is not an economically viable fishery for human consumption, given there is currently limited human market for it (it's used as fish bait and feed); therefore, it is unlikely that Japan will invest in krill fisheries to "offset" whaling activities.
The purpose would not be for human consumption though, the purpose would be to help sustain the current whale populations.

Average time to death from first shooting ranges from instantaneous death (rare) to 45 minutes. Livestock are rarely left in this state, at least in Australia. Leaving an animal to bleed to death is what I would call "mindless barbarism".
And sure you think it's also wrong to keep the battery hens locked up... As do you probably take issue with the many other cases of abuse which are likely to occur merely due to the numbers involved. A fine moral position but as I said all that time ago, not one that everyone is going to take.

Last edited:

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Tim Flanner is definitely a biologist, in fact quite the respected one from my undestanding. Also I'm not particularly certain I'd want to take the word of people who have decided to devote their lives to whales, they obviously are quite fond of the creatures so I'm cautious about what would no doubt be their overwhelming majority opinion.
I stand corrected, he is too. Comment regarding his qualifications duly retracted with apologies.

If I were you I'd be careful about implying that whale biologists are unable to retain a critical distance from their study subjects - such an accusation is a serious violation of academic impartiality.

Would you agree that it is scientifically arguable that some minke culls could be sustainable? Certainly there is all sorts of disagreement about the numbers, but with the current IWC estimate at 665,074 they'd have to be pretty damn far off the mark for the small numbers japan/norway/iceland are after to be putting them at any serious endangerment.
If it can be shown that it's sustainable, and if kills could be performed humanely, sure. I would not have a problem with it, though I'd not personally avail myself of the meat. Dolphin culls, for example, are generally sustainable - but I take issue with them, as well.

Perhaps you can argue that this is not economically viable... but that doesn't really matter to me. If they want to do this fishing at an economic loss for some reason so be it.
Economy vs sense? IDK. Currently, Japan is running at a loss with its whaling operations.

The purpose would not be for human consumption though, the purpose would be to help sustain the current whale populations.
And how would they make any money from that/i.e. be inclined to enter into such a business plan?

And sure you think it's also wrong to keep the battery hens locked up... As do you probably take issue with the many other cases of abuse which are likely to occur merely due to the numbers involved. A fine moral position but as I said all that time ago, not one that everyone is going to take.
Again, with respect, I'm glad your moral stance on the issue is not one informing policy :p

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
If I were you I'd be careful about implying that whale biologists are unable to retain a critical distance from their study subjects - such an accusation is a serious violation of academic impartiality.
It would be silly for me to claim that they could be unbiased in my opinion, as much as that may be the goal and even their desire. This isn't to say that their research is to be taken with a grain of salt, definitely not, as long as the methodology is not flawed the research is fine.... My point is regarding their opinions, specifically for example any polls of whether marine biologists believe minke whales should be farmed.

Economy vs sense? IDK. Currently, Japan is running at a loss with its whaling operations.
Perhaps they are? I don't really care about such issues. If the government wants whaling to occur even at a loss so be it.

And how would they make any money from that/i.e. be inclined to enter into such a business plan?
As you said they're already at least according to you running at a loss, so perhaps it's not an economic argument, maybe it has something to do with national pride... I don't know, nor do I really care. If whaling were to be economically viable (as at least their nations seem to think it is) then perhaps in order to maintain stocks, as a long-term outlook, it is also economically viable to build such krill fisheries.

Again, with respect, I'm glad your moral stance on the issue is not one informing policy
I'd sympathise with your position much more if I knew you were a bit more of an "eco-nut" (not trying to be too derogatory) who is vegan or at least vegetarian due to the suffering which is caused to many of the animals, regardless of how hard we try... who takes great issue with farmers use of pesticides etc (not sure your position on this) and finds equal moral outrage in these issues.

Perhaps it has to do with the creatures claimed intelligence, but that doesn't square up too logically with me either as my understanding their is just as strong research for the intelligence of many other creatures.

Last edited:

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
It would be silly for me to claim that they could be unbiased in my opinion, as much as that may be the goal and even their desire. This isn't to say that their research is to be taken with a grain of salt, definitely not, as long as the methodology is not flawed the research is fine.... My point is regarding their opinions, specifically for example any polls of whether marine biologists believe minke whales should be farmed.
I would wonder at the sense of any "marine biologist" who would vote in the affirmative of "minke whale farming", given farming of such an animal is ludicrous, even only taking into account logistics :rolleyes:

As you said they're already at least according to you running at a loss, so perhaps it's not an economic argument, maybe it has something to do with national pride... I don't know, nor do I really care. If whaling were to be economically viable (as at least their nations seem to think it is) then perhaps in order to maintain stocks, as a long-term outlook, it is also economically viable to build such krill fisheries.
It is certainly in large part due to national pride. In fact, I would say that is the largest single influencing factor of the Japanese whaling operations, given that they don't have a market for the meat in the country. Most of it is being stored frozen.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Oh, some Japanese minister (I think) criticised our criticism of whaling because apparently we're hypocrites because we kill and eat kangaroos.

Somehow, kangaroos = whales.

No, I don't get the logic either.

zstar

HSC
N/A
I don't why you people care about whales so much. They're just useless overgrown fish that swim in the water and spray water on people.

Humans > Animals

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)