Why this equilibrium doesn't work? (1 Viewer)

lepton_index

HSC
Question: the equilibrium is: OCl- (aq) + H2O (l) <---> HOCl(aq) + OH-(aq).
Which reaction condition(s) would favour the formation of HOCl?

Options:
A. Adding H2O
B. Adding HCl
C. Both A and B

-----------------------------------------------
The answer is: adding Cl- but NOT adding water (i.e.: B). I'm wondering why? The net ionic equation for this reaction is: H2O(l) <---> H+ (aq) + OH- (aq). Adding HCl means adding more H+ (aq), thus would move the equilibrium the other way --> should NOT favour the formation of HOCl!

And also, why adding water does NOT affect the equilibrium?

Please help. Thanks.

~*HSC 4 life*~

HSC
N/A
lepton_index said:
Question: the equilibrium is: OCl- (aq) + H2O (l) <---> HOCl(aq) + OH-(aq).
Which reaction condition(s) would favour the formation of HOCl?

Options:
A. Adding H2O
B. Adding HCl
C. Both A and B

-----------------------------------------------
The answer is: adding Cl- but NOT adding water (i.e.: B). I'm wondering why? The net ionic equation for this reaction is: H2O(l) <---> H+ (aq) + OH- (aq). Adding HCl means adding more H+ (aq), thus would move the equilibrium the other way --> should NOT favour the formation of HOCl!

Please help. Thanks.
eh? adding h+ to the system, like you said WOULD favour the formation of HOCl, it would cause the equil to shift the the RHS, because you have OH- to consume it, remember Le Chat principle states that the equil would shift to a side to counteract any burden placed on its system. the addition of h+ would cause it to move and produce more OH- to counteract it, hope it makes more sense :/

mystify

HSC
lepton_index said:
Question: the equilibrium is: OCl- (aq) + H2O (l) <---> HOCl

Please help. Thanks.

I asked my teacher the same thing a while ago.....he said its because water just makes it aqueous and also because it is a neutral substance (contains equal conc. of hydrogen and hydroxide ions) and hence does not affect the overall concentration. Hope that helps :)

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
why addition of H+ ions will affect the eqlbm hsc4life has already explained...

as for water, i believe it WILL affect the eqlbm... and i believe it WILL push the eqlm to the right...

since the position of eqlbm is dependent on the K value, and K = [hocl] x [oh-] / [ocl-]

addition of water will lower all conc.... that is the ratio wll be lower than the K value, so more ocl- will be pushed to produce hocl and oh...

but then agian, i maybe thinkin too much, this q should be only practicin ur knowledge how addition of water will NOT influced [h2o], since h2o is usually neglected when calculating K value....

~*HSC 4 life*~

HSC
N/A
don't freak out lepton, coz the 'k' stuff isn't in the syllabus :p but it does add to the explanation why, i would've thought the answer was (C) but yeah

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
~*HSC 4 life*~ said:
don't freak out lepton, coz the 'k' stuff isn't in the syllabus :p but it does add to the explanation why, i would've thought the answer was (C) but yeah
uh huh,,.. i say the answer is C too... =S

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Well adding HCl as there is water there will cause OH<sup>-</sup> ions to be removed (from the reactions with the now dissociated HCl) and form water anyway.

googleplex

HSC
thats a q from a catholic trial

water is in excess in the swimming pool, it will NOT effect equilibrium

Li0n

spiKu
HSC
This was in our half yearly, as people have said water wouldnt affect the equilibrium.
Answer IS Cl-

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
well, maybe i am thinkin too much... but the q is yet arguable as to if adding water will influence the concentration of reactants and hence influence the eqlbm...

but then again... if this is not in industrial, u don't need to think that much into the problem... just note that in calculation of eqlbm position, concentration of water is not considered...

eth

HSC
xiao1985 said:
well, maybe i am thinkin too much... but the q is yet arguable as to if adding water will influence the concentration of reactants and hence influence the eqlbm...

but then again... if this is not in industrial, u don't need to think that much into the problem... just note that in calculation of eqlbm position, concentration of water is not considered...
Now, I may be wrong, but I though water was only excluded if there was excessive amounts, like in a swimming pool. I'm pretty sure you count it if it's like a cup of saturated NaCl sol'n, cos more dissolved if you add more water.

sub

hey dont u ignore any liquid and solid state substances in equilibrium equations? cos thats what we wer taught...only consider the aqueous and gas state stuff...cos their concentrations can change...or sum such explanation.

helper

HSC
N/A
As someone said, it is actually activities not concentrations that are important. Adding water will change the concentrations on both sides but not the relative activities.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)