Why was Spartan women 10 marks? (1 Viewer)

e=mc2

HSC
I mean there just isn't that much content comparing to kings, perioeci, government and social life.

all i said was child bearing child bearing child bearing, be a wife to citizen, xenophon says child bearing blah blah produce strong boy.

What else can someone write so much on spartan women, they have no political power and don't contribute much?

sideshowtim

HSC
yeah i crapped on about how they had to bear a strong child...then spoke a little about how they taught the younger girls music and shit like that...thought it was worth 6 or 8.

gracerawl88

HSC
i thought it was a good 10 mark question... if you know stuff bout women. it is spartan society, and women were a big part in society.. birthing, inheriting, control of house when husband not home, propagandists, singing, poetry. heaps of stuff. good question.

HayleyRGardiner

HSC
yeah i wasnt expecting women :S but it could have been worse i guess...it was 10 marks of rambling about how they were unique and sporty and stuff, and something about priestesses :S would have much preferred something on the education system to be worth more marks

narranick

HSC
Comparing their lifestyle to that of neighbouring city states

dress styles n adornments

their role in funerary rituals

coming to own 2/5ths of the land

workin shopfronts in houses

mourning of the death of the king

Artemis Orthia and the sanctuary.

plenty to write about.. dunno what your complainin about, i was cheerin when i saw that question

HSC
no, thank god the agoge was a 5 or 6 marks question

the question was good, but i thought Lycurgus was going to be the 10 marks one

anyways this years questions were a bit different to every other year

look at the bright side, no more ancient history :)

sideshowtim

HSC
narranick said:
Comparing their lifestyle to that of neighbouring city states

dress styles n adornments

their role in funerary rituals

coming to own 2/5ths of the land

workin shopfronts in houses

mourning of the death of the king

Artemis Orthia and the sanctuary.

plenty to write about.. dunno what your complainin about, i was cheerin when i saw that question
what does dress styles and other neighbourhood states have to do with their significance to sparta?

stbrob

HSC
While there is some information on the spartan women, it yet another example of the BOS's attempt at non-gender bias, which is becoming more and more biased towards women. However i think that the question didn't merit the full ten marks, as there is little creditable infomation on this area.

sideshowtim

HSC
stbrob said:
While there is some information on the spartan women, it yet another example of the BOS's attempt at non-gender bias, which is becoming more and more biased towards women. However i think that the question didn't merit the full ten marks, as there is little creditable infomation on this area.
Yes. I really think the importance of women in Sparta is over-stressed and not as big as everyone makes it out to be. Yeah okay, they gave birth to Spartiates but grr...just makes me mad that they are saying "the women of sparta were significant. why?". you couldn't really argue against it but yeah...i always struggle to answer questions about women in sparta without getting really angry.

s-p-a-c-e-d

HSC
$hiftyIceQueen said:
no, thank god the agoge was a 5 or 6 marks question

the question was good, but i thought Lycurgus was going to be the 10 marks one

anyways this years questions were a bit different to every other year

look at the bright side, no more ancient history :)
10 marks on Lykougous, I think I'd just die if I saw that.

I think they could have swapped the agoge and the women question around and it would have been more appropriate (in terms of marks), but there was enough to talk about either way.

narranick

HSC
sideshowtim said:
what does dress styles and other neighbourhood states have to do with their significance to sparta?
their dress style was far more revealing than other societies.. usually a short slit skirt which allows em for more flexibility.. which is linked to training.. which is linked to producing fit offspring..

n their lifestyle was more labor free compared to other women in other societies and they spend a majority of their day training etc.

ashimation

HSC
Well there's heaps of stuff on spartan women

-childbearing
-religion
-education/training
-management/control of klerois

etc etc. I was stoked with this section as our class had assessments on spartan women and the agoge so all I had to do was regurgitate what I wrote then - and I got full marks.

(allow me to gloat, this is the only exam I know I did well in)

angel_eyes870

HSC
I made sure i distingshed between the three different classes of women and how they were significant becuase they allowed the spartan society to function, it was their involvment in handing of the children etc. to the agoge. Periokoi and Helot women were integral to the society as they allowed the 'spartan women' to produce babies etc etc...thought it was a good question

HilaryLush

HSC
ashimation said:
Well there's heaps of stuff on spartan women

-childbearing
-religion
-education/training
-management/control of klerois

etc etc. I was stoked with this section as our class had assessments on spartan women and the agoge so all I had to do was regurgitate what I wrote then - and I got full marks.

(allow me to gloat, this is the only exam I know I did well in)
But they're asking for the significance of Spartan women in society, i can see how some of ur points relate to that, but all of them? i was stuck with their religious significance particularly...btw I'm sure u did very well, i just need some answers - i was pretty stuck!

J e S s

HSC
for the religious significance i just wrote about the importance of worship to the spartans as a militaristic state. then i went on to say that the women had a religious significance as they would pray for the success of their husbands/sons etc away on military campaigns. it was the only way i could think to relate the source to their significance within society. overall i thought it was a good question but at the same time i can understand where some of you were coming from with the mark allocation in that it would have been easier to write more about the gerousia, ephors etc but still, not IMPOSSIBLE to write enough for the 10 marks with women. i didnt think to compare them to other greek city states but hopefully that wont matter if they asked for their significance within SPARTAN society...

HilaryLush

HSC
J e S s said:
for the religious significance i just wrote about the importance of worship to the spartans as a militaristic state. then i went on to say that the women had a religious significance as they would pray for the success of their husbands/sons etc away on military campaigns. it was the only way i could think to relate the source to their significance within society. overall i thought it was a good question but at the same time i can understand where some of you were coming from with the mark allocation in that it would have been easier to write more about the gerousia, ephors etc but still, not IMPOSSIBLE to write enough for the 10 marks with women. i didnt think to compare them to other greek city states but hopefully that wont matter if they asked for their significance within SPARTAN society...
Yeah thats sorta how i related women to religion and stuff, i didnt compare them to other states either, thanks for answering my question :)

Cabrello

HSC
I liked how the marks were awarded.

The agoge had to be worth the least because it was so specific, you couldn't talk about the agoge as the whole, you had to talk about specifically the role it had in boys education, so it was a prepatory for military training, it was evaluative for military selection to the hippeis and krypteia. It instilled discipline which was a respected virtue of the Spartans blablabla...

As far as for the King it was good there because I dont think there are as many historical commentators and all on the role of the kingship, its a bit of a bland topic, but its simple factual recall the king has a religious, civil and military role and just some examples of each.

At school one of our practise tests had women as the 10 mark question because you could bring up a variety of the ancient writers and analyse why they treated the women with such hostility, for example women were the cause of Sparta's collapse according to Aristotle and you had the presentation of Spartan women in an Athenian play, that and everything else everyons already mentioned. There were probably better things to ask for the 10 mark question, but with how specific the agoge question was I think it was good where it was. That and if people bitch about it being there, it was probably a good discriminant to split up most of the state

As far as the religion I just worked in ther role as priestesses and as singers in teh choirs at some of the festivals and they wove the chiton for Apollo for the Hyakinthia. I also pointed out that she was thin which was perfect for their eugenics program

Last edited:

steve101

HSC
any difference between agoge and the boys education system as a whole. does it stop at a certain age?

tiramisu25489

HSC
I just mentioned their religious role? the fact that they dealt with the helots on the kleros... Aristotle's views on them (how they had 2/5 of the land), some other views on them.. their rituals and sacrifices to Artemis Orthia and Aphrodite Hera.. bear good children... different from women in rest of Athens..
Even though could not vote, could influence voting.. and stuff..
I SO should have split the 3 classes.. oh well! :*( Mine was pretty general.

dandel26

HSC
Bugger i forgot to talk about other social classes, i only talked about Spartiate Women. ohhhhhhh wellllllll shit happens

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)