Why'd you choose Chem? (1 Viewer)

appetite

HSC
What do you like about it? What don't you like about it?

I'm going to be doing Chemistry next year, so I'd like to get hear your thoughts on the subject. Please be as specific as possible.

Phyuk_Yiu

http://co.bos.error2-1337
HSC
I chose Chem because i need it for B MedSience degree(as well as other science degrees).
It's a pretty good subject and not as difficult as some make it out to be.
Plus you get to play around with chemicals on a fair few occasions.

k_stroud22

UAI 2006 83.70
HSC
since i need it for my uni degree (which i havent fully decided yet...maybe BSc?...) and the teacher is good (he is pretty funny to, he laughs at his own jokes, which 99.99999% of the time are pretty lame....
chem is my 2nd fave subject (after biology), even though it can be pretty tough sumtimes...which reminds me, my Trial HSC chem is 2morrow...<sigh> back to studing for me!!!

bboyelement

HSC
did it because it was good scaling and also im ok at science so yeh ... like any subject you just gotta understand and memorise the concepts and do a test called the 'HSC' ... the thing is its not as confusing like physics

yodajones2000

HSC
It is good if you understand it. Most people can folow the work out of the text books. The first chapter is what is chemistry?. But not as funny as the first chapter in the history text book what is war?.

makemyangelfly

HSC
I picked it because it was the only science available to me after I had done all of my other subject choices and I need a science to Medicine at uni next year. Personally, I loathe every moment spent in Chemistry. For someone who focuses (not me) I think it would be a good subject which you could get through with a relatively okay mark. If you do not apply yourself I guarantee you will not pass.

The first topic on 'Production of Materials' is relatively easy. But you need to understand your Preliminary stuff (E.g. Molar equations). Equations, while not overly prominent in the actual HSC Exam, are a big part of the Year 12 course so if you don't understand when you are being taught initially, ASK. Or you will never get it.

Good luck!

ice ken

HSC
chem is so hard in yr 12 in yr 11 i scored perfect 20 now only 17-18. but physics on the other hand i scored 16-17 now 19. physics yr 11 is jst the same as physics yr 12. i screwed up in envirionmental chemistry ( so much to remember). advice- dont do chem in year 12 if youre find year 11 hard. y i like chem? well its just the fun with pracs. i remember the prac in using and controlling reactions chapter (endothermic exothermic thing) the group next to us added soooo much ammonium nitrate that the temp of the water was -8 degrees we touched it was so cold. funniest part was when they were talking about it and laughing out loud and teacher was behind then they got sent out we all laughed. PRACS are the best "making esters" is also fun

Last edited:

lala2

Banned
HSC
Many people in my year did Chemistry only because they wanted to do Med, and in the event that they didn't, to enter any science degree at uni. I know three top girls who kept Chemistry only because of this, and I'm sure many others did too, with a fourth girl I recently knew of whose Chemistry mark is her second worst mark and is doing Pharmacy with me! :eek:

It's good if you like Chem, but if you only do it because you have to, like I did, then a little bit of application should get you a decent marks if you have half a brain (which I'm sure anyone doing the HSC and hanging around on this board would). For those who suck at pracs totally, just think of the weighing of the trials and externals! mmm.....these saved my ass, literally.

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
Lol haha you guys are a pretty funny group of BOS'ers. Last year everyone was like so dead serious :p

Anyway, yes if you do plan to take a degree anywhere in the faculties of Science: Chemistry, Maths, Physics is the needed combo for whatever you wish to major in...eg. Med Sci or just B Sci.

But...correct me if I'm wrong, I think there are no science-based pre-requisites required for B Med/Surgery. Only one was English I believe.

But meh, every year Med changes so radically. Lol, USyd is now planning to even add some "essay/Arts" courses into their B Med program...because statistically, Doctors have a 3x rate of suiciding...so USyd reckons us medical students need to fuel off our stress and anger through writing essays...ahh the horror of re-living HSC English.

lala2

Banned
HSC
This is my 1,000th post....mmmm, it's been nearly 2 years since I joined this board....*nostalgic*

Anyway, back to the topic on hand, you don't need physics to do any sort of science, but for engineering, it's assumed knowledge. For just a Science, Med Science, etc degree, chemistry is fine. Maths is assumed in most cases I think. And yes, you are correct, there is only English as a pre-req for Med, but Chemistry is "highly recommended"

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
Rekkusu said:
Lol haha you guys are a pretty funny group of BOS'ers. Last year everyone was like so dead serious :p ...... Chemistry, Maths, Physics is the needed combo .........because statistically, Doctors have a 3x rate of suiciding...so USyd reckons us medical students need to fuel off our stress and anger through writing essays......
1. Yes, tis what makes us fun
2. Yes !! I do all three !
3. OH NOES essay writing ?!! I heard you need to do 3000-word essays every night ?

ugly14

G0Ldën MëMbër
HSC
i do chem because its my favourite subject.......
*its fun (cool ideas/concepts that u can actually apply to real life!)
*i have the best teacher in the world
*its not that hard if u really concentrate in class to everything the teacher says and not get distracted by other ppl (i do this by sitting right in front of the teacher..so that i dont have a chance to talk as no-one sits next to me...everyone is at the back)......this might sound really sad but i choose to do it!

Last edited:

Riviet

HSC
N/A
I chose chemistry mainly because I had an interest in that branch of science, I definitely have not regretted choosing it and still regard it as one of my favourite subjects.

tennille

HSC
Rekkusu said:
But meh, every year Med changes so radically. Lol, USyd is now planning to even add some "essay/Arts" courses into their B Med program...because statistically, Doctors have a 3x rate of suiciding...so USyd reckons us medical students need to fuel off our stress and anger through writing essays...ahh the horror of re-living HSC English.
Another reason for usyd adding arts subjects into the Medicine degree is to improve communication skills. :)

argh123

HSC
i do chem because its my favourite subject.......
*its fun (cool ideas/concepts that u can actually apply to real life!)
*i have the best teacher in the world
*its not that hard if u really concentrate in class to everything the teacher says and not get distracted by other ppl (i do this by sitting right in front of the teacher..so that i dont have a chance to talk as no-one sits next to me...everyone is at the back)......this might sound really sad but i choose to do it!
get a life

lala2

Banned
HSC
More like ten, but yes it is a very small amount. I really think it's an extraordinary amount of luck that I do know two of them--one I have met directly, and the other through another equally as smart friend (she may know a third one, but I can't remember), but we have not met.

PrettyVacant

HSC
I did it because I'm a Science Nerd. Duh.
And plus it's assumed knowledge for a lot of courses that I want to do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)