• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

whys the uai going up for unsw engineering...dammit (1 Viewer)

crunchier

HSC
hey dolios (i dnt kno what that is jus made it up),

does anyone do civil and got in through the interview thingy? if so, do guys hav any advice on how to get the interview?

...did FEAS exist before?...has anyone got into engineering at unsw (civil- the one i wana get into) through FEAS last year, if so how?...what was the interviews like...what did u guys write for the "personal statement" part?...srsly, i'm desperate, i really wana get into civil at unsw but i got my reality check when the uac came out, 85!...dam...i'm really not sure i'll get that, i'm averaging in 70s and 80s in most of my subjects (enginrring studies, physics, chem(grr!), adv eng, 3u maths)

i regret bludging the first half of year 12...dammit...anyways if anyone thinks they can help, please do!

KD

HSC
N/A
FEAS is just the new name for the Multiple Criteria Entry scheme introduced last year. Just check the other thread on MCE for info.

drewbrow1

(Ninja)
HSC
pfft, they let anyone in.

specially if ur a girl.

the interview thing is only to keep out the morons.

just tell them you really really really really want to do engineering, then point out the fact that you're a girl. instant win.

elfm

HSC
zomg avatar stealarrrr

70-80 in raw marks is more than enough to get an 85 UAI assuming you don't go to some dumbass school. once again, assuming you don't go to some dumbass school that makes easy exams, 70-80s in those subjects would be scaled up to high band 5s-band 6s in the hsc

timobr0

Ευθήμιος
HSC
crunchier said:

does anyone do civil and got in through the interview thingy? if so, do guys hav any advice on how to get the interview?

...did FEAS exist before?...has anyone got into engineering at unsw (civil- the one i wana get into) through FEAS last year, if so how?...what was the interviews like...what did u guys write for the "personal statement" part?...srsly, i'm desperate, i really wana get into civil at unsw but i got my reality check when the uac came out, 85!...dam...i'm really not sure i'll get that, i'm averaging in 70s and 80s in most of my subjects (enginrring studies, physics, chem(grr!), adv eng, 3u maths)

i regret bludging the first half of year 12...dammit...anyways if anyone thinks they can help, please do!
remember 85 = 2006 cutoff, so it could go up or down for you 2007

elfm

HSC
it's highly unlikely that it would deviate from 85

gman03

HSC
drewbrow1 said:
pfft, they let anyone in.

specially if ur a girl.

the interview thing is only to keep out the morons.

just tell them you really really really really want to do engineering, then point out the fact that you're a girl. instant win.
they will throw in a scholarship even if your uai < 30

KD

HSC
N/A
Civil and Enviro has plenty of girls. Don't expect an advantage.

Not everyone will get in it depends on demand. Unlike some other Uni alternate systems, the final decision for this one is controlled by UAC.

=> 85 - You can expect to get in unless there is a big change in demand

75-85 UNSW reranks everyone based on UAI, maths/science marks and interview. They then give the reranked list back to UAC. UAC then fills the remaining spots in the course from the new ranking order. Therefore how many places come from this range totally depends on demand. Demand has been going up recently due to job availability, salaries etc. so treat the process seriously.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
crunchier said:

If you can't get 85 in the HSC you'll have a tough time passing 3rd year engineering courses.

elfm

HSC
withoutaface said:
If you can't get 85 in the HSC you'll have a tough time passing 3rd year engineering courses.
bullshit

shannonm

HSC
N/A
elfm said:
yeah i gotta disagree with him there aswell.
81 uai here with no prelim/hsc physics and only 2 unit maths
74.4 wam last session (3rd year sess 1)

of course first year sucked ass (think 51 in phys 1a and 55 in maths 1a)

apart from getting into engineering i dont think hsc/uai matters one bit

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
uai isnt a measure of your intelligence, so even if you're really lazy and got something like high 70s for your uai, it doesnt mean you're gonna struggle necessarily at uni as you would probably have the motivation to do quite good.
Since this is your future i think students would probably achieve better results at uni ather than high school
take shannon's example in above

Li0n

spiKu
HSC
yeah he is wrong, i know some 80s uai students that are getting D average at uni, but i know alot more that are PS average :p

elfm

HSC
(i think he means 10 hours study per semester)

Li0n

spiKu
HSC
politik said:
Point is, unless you're prepared to spend more than 10 hours a week outside contact hours studying, then don't fill that UAC application in.
you didn't even do engineering you useless kid

Curry

Zacsik!
HSC
The UAI is only good for getting you into a course with a something a little extra. Other than that, it's pretty meaningless.

STx

Boom Bap
HSC
So did anyone here, get in through FEAS last year?

Just James

Veteran Member
HSC
politik said:
Point is, unless you're prepared to spend more than 10 hours a week outside contact hours studying, then don't fill that UAC application in.
I never do more than 10 hours of study per week and I'm still getting a credit average. It varies for each person. So don't take my post or politik's post as an excuse to over or under-study.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)