Wii Retro Games to be priced < $10 (1 Viewer)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Nintendo President Saturo Iwata spoke yesterday at a Japanese marketing event (Japanese source), revealing information about "virtual console" pricing and the Wii's relationship with the DS. Iwata revealed that games for Nintendo's "virtual console" that will allow Wii owners to play old titles on their consoles will be priced at ¥500 and ¥1,000, roughly US$4.50 to US$8.99. For reference, classic retro games for the Nintendo GameBoy sold for upwards of US$35 for some titles, US$19.99 for others. Uptake was understandably low, as gamers were reticent to pay that much for old content.

(Source: http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060607-7009.html)

Jookie

HSC
Sweeeeet! Well, there's ONE positive thing about Wii.

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
Great news, and it said in Icon today that Nintendo finally announced that the launch price won't exceed $250 US.

crazyhomo

under pressure
HSC
bazookajoe said:
Great news, and it said in Icon today that Nintendo finally announced that the launch price won't exceed $250 US.
this is still just a rumour at this point, since nintendo have stated they won't reveal anything about the price until september. but i don't think anyone is expecting it to be more than 250

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Wow, sounds pretty cheap, we can only hope for more good news to come about the Wii.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm still skeptical... Nintendo, being the only company around long enough in the console arena to do this, has in the past shown that they are more than happy to take an old game, throw in a few bonus/new features, and then sell it as if it was totally new.

crazyhomo

under pressure
HSC
seremify007 said:
I'm still skeptical... Nintendo, being the only company around long enough in the console arena to do this, has in the past shown that they are more than happy to take an old game, throw in a few bonus/new features, and then sell it as if it was totally new.
you mean to say that games on other consoles have never done this?

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
seremify007 said:
Yeah, but they've had to worry about production costs, rather than downloadable content, thats the beauty.

phatinc

HSC
does this include GC games? and do you have any idea if we can buy them from shops or are they downloadable content (which would cut heaps of costs)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
phatinc said:
does this include GC games? and do you have any idea if we can buy them from shops or are they downloadable content (which would cut heaps of costs)
the GC games will be backwards compatible

BradCube

HSC
AsyLum said:
the GC games will be backwards compatible
Yeah, I didn't think they would be downloadable. That would chew up that internal 512mb quick smart.

runtlocks

the diff'rence
HSC
Great idea, wonder how the "new" generation of gamers will react to it. It does seem kind of expensive for games released a decade ago, but i'm no complaining.

cough modded xbox cough

ohh excuse me there.

watkinzez

HSC
I like the idea, but I'm not buying the games I already have (except for Majora's Mask- I cannot physically complete that game with my stuffed 64 controller). Mostly a catch up mechanism then.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)