Do you support wikileak's actions?

• Yes

Votes: 63 90.0%
  • No

Votes: 7 10.0%

• Total voters

Lentern

HSC
The free flow of information, especially dissent, is the highest cause. I understand that governments have a right and obligation to keep secrets, but it's their job to keep them better, and journalists have a right and obligation to ferret out any information they can.
I'm sorry I disagree, governments shouldn't be "better at keeping secrets", they ought to be upfront with their constituents. The line I draw, and where I would have thought most so called libertarians would draw the line if not earlier, is at private conversations.

murphyad

HSC
I'm sorry I disagree, governments shouldn't be "better at keeping secrets", they ought to be upfront with their constituents. The line I draw, and where I would have thought most so called libertarians would draw the line if not earlier, is at private conversations.
Government transparency requires the highest level of disclosure possible. This includes conversations that are had behind closed doors, government documents and everything else. If governments are to be 'upfront with their constituents', then those constituents are entitled to the reasonable expectation that they will be told the whole truth. If, as is indeed the case, the content of 'private' conversations differs from what the public are actually being told, it is clear that there is a gap between rhetoric and reality that is less than acceptable in a society that values political openness. Herein lies the value of an organisation such as WikiLeaks: it forcibly increases government disclosure in a way that is uncomfortable for those who were keeping quiet.

Returning to the former issue of 'privacy', I repeat that it is absurd to talk of some overriding right to 'privacy' in government. The toleration of government secrecy rests solely on the presumption of state legitimacy - in other words, that the common citizenry presume that the actions of the state are legitimate. State legitimacy is obviously revocable and/or subject to the concerns of said citizens. This presumption affords the state and its officials no special 'rights', but merely capabilities that are enforceable via the state's monopoly on the legitimate use of violence. Government business is never 'private', only 'secret'.

Lentern

HSC
Government transparency requires the highest level of disclosure possible. This includes conversations that are had behind closed doors, government documents and everything else. If governments are to be 'upfront with their constituents', then those constituents are entitled to the reasonable expectation that they will be told the whole truth. If, as is indeed the case, the content of 'private' conversations differs from what the public are actually being told, it is clear that there is a gap between rhetoric and reality that is less than acceptable in a society that values political openness. Herein lies the value of an organisation such as WikiLeaks: it forcibly increases government disclosure in a way that is uncomfortable for those who were keeping quiet.

Returning to the former issue of 'privacy', I repeat that it is absurd to talk of some overriding right to 'privacy' in government. The toleration of government secrecy rests solely on the presumption of state legitimacy - in other words, that the common citizenry presume that the actions of the state are legitimate. State legitimacy is obviously revocable and/or subject to the concerns of said citizens. This presumption affords the state and its officials no special 'rights', but merely capabilities that are enforceable via the state's monopoly on the legitimate use of violence. Government business is never 'private', only 'secret'.
Let me ask you this, if all the governments conduct in in synch with the official position and all the individuals professional conduct is in synch with the official position, what possible business of mine or yours is it if Kevin Rudd has a dumb nickname for Ban Ki Moon? Contrary to what you lot may like to think, one does not forfeit his admission ticket to the human race when one enters professional politics. Or if a liberal party frontbencher thinks the coalitions stop the boats policy is cheap, lazy scaremongering?

I know what you are getting at but listen very carefully, you are wrong.

murphyad

HSC
Let me ask you this, if all the governments conduct in in synch with the official position and all the individuals professional conduct is in synch with the official position, what possible business of mine or yours is it...
lol what possible business of mine is it if government is making misrepresentations to its citizens? Why are you trivialising leaks that have, in some cases, been very illuminating?

I know what you are getting at but listen very carefully, you are wrong.
Faultless logic.

Lentern

HSC
lol what possible business of mine is it if government is making misrepresentations to its citizens? Why are you trivialising leaks that have, in some cases, been very illuminating?
Because in many other cases they have been silly gossip which upon leakage only served to distract and undermine these powerful men and women who carry in their hands this nation and other nations future prosperities. As for "making misrepresentations", you clearly understood what I said so there was no need to paraphrase. So what business of yours is it if Krudd call moon "Spanky Banky" to his private staff?

murphyad

HSC
Because in many other cases they have been silly gossip which upon leakage only served to distract and undermine these powerful men and women who carry in their hands this nation and other nations future prosperities. As for "making misrepresentations", you clearly understood what I said so there was no need to paraphrase. So what business of yours is it if Krudd call moon "Spanky Banky" to his private staff?
I could hardly care less what Rudd calls Ban Ki-Moon. What I do care about are his actual thoughts on, say, the war in Afghanistan. As I said, you're trivialising the leaks in general.

Lentern

HSC
I could hardly care less what Rudd calls Ban Ki-Moon. What I do care about are his actual thoughts on, say, the war in Afghanistan. As I said, you're trivialising the leaks in general.
Well you may well care but it's still none of your business.

TheChairman

HSC
Personally I am finding the way most media is dealing with this story absolutely hilarious and incredibly sad at the same time

When cables were being released regularly, they were focusing on the whole "Which politician called which foreign leader what" story, meanwhile, real information such as the Shell in Nigeria cables went entirely unnoticed by all popular media outlets.

I would never have thought it possible, that it could be proven that the Nigerian people are literally and metaphorically being raped by the Shell Oil company, and people could go on living their lives.
NOTHING HAS CHANGED. For some reason, we know that Shell has deliberately put company executives in every level of government with the soul purpose of taking money from these people who live in suffering and poverty.. AND WE DON'T FUCKING CARE! This is the same company that admitted to burning millions of litres of gas to avoid paying for the infrastructure to give ALL NIGERIAN PEOPLE GAS HEATING. The same company that makes billions of dollars a year from a country that has a large majority of its population without clean drinking water.

But what really irks me about this whole situation is this. 2010 election, Laurie Oaks reveals a leaked document about Julia Gillards apparent "Hatred of the elderly" or whatever the fuck the Liberals were pedaling. A story which he plainly and obviously fabricated due to its very content and timing of release. He gets PRAISED for such journalism. Apparently there is no problems with his leaking of a parliamentary document, in fact it is rewarded.
WikiLeaks hits the spotlight, and the opposite outcome occurs. Seriously... What the fuck.

The point is IT DOESNT MATTER WHAT WIKILEAKS TELLS US... It is all pointless...it doesnt matter if they could physically prove that George Bush went to the middle-east to take oil, people would still believe it is a war on terror. Its all because the men at the top tell the world what they think... the men in the middle follow blindly... and the men at the bottom are scoffed at for even trying to speak up.

mirakon

nigga
HSC
Personally I am finding the way most media is dealing with this story absolutely hilarious and incredibly sad at the same time

When cables were being released regularly, they were focusing on the whole "Which politician called which foreign leader what" story, meanwhile, real information such as the Shell in Nigeria cables went entirely unnoticed by all popular media outlets.

I would never have thought it possible, that it could be proven that the Nigerian people are literally and metaphorically being raped by the Shell Oil company, and people could go on living their lives.
NOTHING HAS CHANGED. For some reason, we know that Shell has deliberately put company executives in every level of government with the soul purpose of taking money from these people who live in suffering and poverty.. AND WE DON'T FUCKING CARE! This is the same company that admitted to burning millions of litres of gas to avoid paying for the infrastructure to give ALL NIGERIAN PEOPLE GAS HEATING. The same company that makes billions of dollars a year from a country that has a large majority of its population without clean drinking water.

But what really irks me about this whole situation is this. 2010 election, Laurie Oaks reveals a leaked document about Julia Gillards apparent "Hatred of the elderly" or whatever the fuck the Liberals were pedaling. A story which he plainly and obviously fabricated due to its very content and timing of release. He gets PRAISED for such journalism. Apparently there is no problems with his leaking of a parliamentary document, in fact it is rewarded.
WikiLeaks hits the spotlight, and the opposite outcome occurs. Seriously... What the fuck.

The point is IT DOESNT MATTER WHAT WIKILEAKS TELLS US... It is all pointless...it doesnt matter if they could physically prove that George Bush went to the middle-east to take oil, people would still believe it is a war on terror. Its all because the men at the top tell the world what they think... the men in the middle follow blindly... and the men at the bottom are scoffed at for even trying to speak up.
doesn't this contradict what you said earlier about the information about the shell oil company's doings in nigeria being very important?

TheChairman

HSC
doesn't this contradict what you said earlier about the information about the shell oil company's doings in nigeria being very important?
Yeah Kind of... I get carried away with stuff sometimes and lose the structure of my argument.

Lentern

HSC

Why do you say the leak was fabricated? For heaven sake Gillard didn't even deny it, it was just a grumpy cabinet member, probably Rudd, getting their own back for the spill. It wasn't a "hatred for the elderly" either it was that Gillard opposed raised the aged care pension because the budget was already in deficit.

Rothbard

HSC
N/A
Governmental officials don't have an inherent right to privacy in the actions that they perform on our behalf.

You need to understand, as stupid as your arguments are, that there is a difference between someone working in the private sector and someone working in the public sector. For one, in the public sector those individuals have extracted wealth from us by force, we have every right to know what they are doing.

Though I'm glad to see you're protecting the rent-seeking political classes as you know on which side your bread is buttered.

Lentern

HSC
Governmental officials don't have an inherent right to privacy...
It is inalienable, you either believe in their privacy or pronounce yourself a hypocrite most foul. Like any tory you flaunt your belief in freedom when it suits but when individuals you dislike are concerned you make excuses to sacrifice it.

murphyad

HSC
It is inalienable, you either believe in their privacy or pronounce yourself a hypocrite most foul. Like any tory you flaunt your belief in freedom when it suits but when individuals you dislike are concerned you make excuses to sacrifice it.
What are you talking about? Why are you referring to 'individuals' here? We are dealing with an institution here (government), not an individual.

Nobody on this planet has ever said that governments or their agents have an 'inalienable' right to privacy in the discharge of their duties.

Did you even read what I posted about state legitimacy earlier?

Last edited:

Lentern

HSC
What are you talking about? Why are you referring to 'individuals' here? We are dealing with an institution here (government), not an individual.
Beneath the cold exterior of the government, within it's every individual, beats a human heart.

Nobody on this planet has ever said that governments or their agents have an 'inalienable' right to privacy in the discharge of their duties.

Did you even read what I posted about state legitimacy earlier?
I did, I said you were wrong remember.

Rothbard

HSC
N/A
They are operating in the capacity of a person in a monopolistic position granted by fiat with the undertones of the barrel of a gun if you don't accept it.

You have to be an utter idiot to think that individuals acting on behalf of the government, in that process, have inalienable rights to privacy, and you are definitely an idiot if you think that is equivalent to the inherent rights to privacy that citizens have in general.

Rothbard

HSC
N/A
I cannot even fathom how rotted and decrepit your mind is to make such a wholly baseless and vacuous link.

Lentern

HSC
They are operating in the capacity of a person in a monopolistic position granted by fiat with the undertones of the barrel of a gun if you don't accept it.

You have to be an utter idiot to think that individuals acting on behalf of the government, in that process, have inalienable rights to privacy, and you are definitely an idiot if you think that is equivalent to the inherent rights to privacy that citizens have in general.
They have a right to private opinions and conversations. They should be held mercilessly accountable for their decisions, not for what they say behind closed doors in confidence. Most of these leaked "diplomatic cables" have yielded worthless gossip which has only served to embarrass individuals the leakers don't like. It has prised a freedom(inalienable or not) from the grasp of law abiding citizens without yielding a tangible benefit and deny it though you might, you are defending it because the victims have such staunchly different political ideologies to your own.

ademayd

HSC
i think it's great

but i'm not sure if everything wikileaked is true

hehe on a side note, my friend wrote ( & sang) a song to his gf comparing her to wikileaks (after she told her friends about some of their dirty laundry)

lol she burst into tears on front a very big group

murphyad

HSC
They have a right to private opinions and conversations.
For the love of yahweh, please give everybody some sort of logical justification for your position that goes beyond a completely unfounded assertion that such a right is 'inalienable'. This 'right to privacy in government' nonsense has been attacked numerous times, yet you stubbornly insist on restating it and simply accuse the other interlocutor of being 'wrong'. This cycle has already repeated itself several times over in this thread. Remedy this or gtfo.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)