Wilfred Owen (1 Viewer)

azn_chocobo

HSC
wouldnt it mean though that u analyse ONE poem IN DEPTH
and just BRIEFLY mention the others and say how the THEMEES in the other poems can be seen in say DULCE ET DECORUM EST as a piece which can represent all the poetries as a whole?

JoeysBoy

HSC
I mentioned Dulce... and one other... can't remember which one.

If thats what the examiners really wanted... then lol? 99% of the state is screwed!

johnny_87

HSC
Casmira - I wrote 5 pages on 'Dulce' (small-ish writing). I never write much because I'm not that quick a writer but still get the marks (was ranked 3/136 in standard at my school). Does that mean that the chances are my in-depth analysis of Dulce with little reference to other poems will get me a top mark?

I mean I said something like "The brutality and horror of war is further reinforced through the use of the simile ("obscene as cancer, bitter as the cud"). The word "cud" also raises the idea of the dehumanisation of war, as its reference to cattle indicates how the men are murdered like cattle. This idea is discusses more specifically in 'Anthem for Doomed Youth', 'the Send-Off' and 'The Last Laugh'.

I REALLY want a band 5 for this course! lol

HSC
english is not all about talking in one particular style you realise? 32000 students are going to have 10000 different perceptions, they arent going to kill people off if you did it differently

HSC
johnny_87 said:
Casmira - I wrote 5 pages on 'Dulce' (small-ish writing). I never write much because I'm not that quick a writer but still get the marks (was ranked 3/136 in standard at my school). Does that mean that the chances are my in-depth analysis of Dulce with little reference to other poems will get me a top mark?

I REALLY want a band 5 for this course! lol
im going by what my teacher told me, there was a guy who got first in our english standard cohort who did the same thing, my teacher said that might be enough for a pass mark if the analysis was indepth

shortygb

BOSer #13412
HSC
i got 5 pages, i was really pissed off that they only said one poem, when it was most likely going to be 2, and we had to learn all of them....i could of spent more time learning that one poem.

what poem did everyone use? i used Dolce Et Decorum Est.

johnny_87

HSC
Casmira - We only have 16 sitting advanced so I don't consider myself as an average English student. I'll be ropable if I barely pass just one of those three essays (not that we find out anyway). Beforehand, I wanted 50+

HSC
you never know dude, half the state could of done what you did, they may let it pass (for people who deeply analysed it) and pass it on to teachers next time

johnny_87

HSC
Ah k cheers for the 'feedback'.

Do you agree in saying the question was definitely poorly worded? I mean, the majority of people I have spoken to have failed to go into any sort of detail regarding the other 5 poems.

HSC
of course, and the reason they did that was to put people off, if they wanted to make it easier:

"analyse in detail ONE poem along with at least ONE other to reflect its characteristics and ideas"

note the difference?, let the BOS eat their own fist for wording it poorly, they'll probably cop flack from the ETA

johnny_87

HSC
Yeah I just hope it doesn't affect us students, particularly me! lol

shortygb

BOSer #13412
HSC
oh no, i only talked about one poem and how it is typical of owens other poems....i didnt mention or analyse the other ones, im screwed now! :(:(

johnny_87

HSC
I don't think you are shorty, as long as you analysed every technique possible in 'Dulce'.

ashiebear

HSC
omg!! im so stressed out at the moment.. i cant believe that everyone took that question as needing to refer to the other poems.. i only did 'dulce et decorum est', bcos they said to identify ONE poem.. i didnt think that we would have to refer to the other poems.. omg, and i thought that i went good as well... but i seriously thought that we only had to talk about one poem.. even my best friend walked out saying that she was glad we only had to write one poem.. oh well.. ill just have to wait and see what my mark is to determine what we actually had to do.. (maybe i should see my english teacher and see what he thinks)..

gjl

In the test, I ananlysed TWO poems really deeply and thoroughly and link to the question as well about reflecting ideas and characteristcs, but i didnt really link with ALL six poems. wat do u guys think i ll get?

johnny_87

HSC
ashiebear - You had to write an in-depth analysis on ONE poem, and link its ideas to Owen's other poems whilst stating examples and techniques for the other poems (without too much detail).

See my post on page 2 for further reference

HSC
Casmira said:
Identify ONE poem from your prescribed collection of poetry.

Analyse ways in which this poem reflects both the ideas and characteristics of your prescribed collection of poetry as a whole.
gjl said:
In the test, I ananlysed TWO poems really deeply and thoroughly and link to the question as well about reflecting ideas and characteristcs, but i didnt really link with ALL six poems. wat do u guys think i ll get?
see it says 'prescribed collection of poetry as a whole' - it doesn't say pick some, but then again, that doesn't mean you get 0. not many people answer question as a whole, hell I did all 'collection of poetry as a whole' but maybe my 2-3 paragraphs per poem or linking wasnt up to their standards, and your deep thorough analysis probably hit all the right points and we get the same marks

you did more than one at least, you'll be fine ;D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)