Will a terrible rank for one subject drag my entire atar down? (1 Viewer)

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Original Poster said:
Hello, I’ve just become an year 12 student this term. I’m currently taking ADV maths, ADV eng, biology, modern history and economics. I’ve scored terribly for my first maths test, and my rank is well below the middle. If I try my best and score higher for my other subjects, would that be able to make up for my overall marks? Will this failed test drag me down? I want to aim for an atar of 97, but is that impossible now? Could someone explain how this works?
While this is not a favourable result, it is not decisive. You are able to compensate by performing well in your remaining assessment tasks/exams for Mathematics Advanced and strengthen your overall position by performing well in your other subjects, allowing you to achieve favourable ranks across your subjects. The weighting of this test is also an important factor as the higher the weighting, the more significant the impact an unfavourable result will have on your rank.

Successfully achieving the above will ultimately place you on track in terms of your ATAR goal of 97.

I hope this helps! :D

Leadmen4y

HSC
btw don't be discouraged by a single bad performance in 1 assessment, year 12 just started for u and there's tons of chances in the future assessments. not to mention the final hsc which is worth 50% of ur entire atar. but 97 is quite a high aim so be sure to work on ur weak subjects in this case i assume its maths adv(?), hsc rewards consistency so u really don't want to bomb out on any of ur subjects.

I just chucked in ur subjects into an atar calculator so these are roughly the marks u'd need.
1637286606211.png

icycledough

HSC
btw don't be discouraged by a single bad performance in 1 assessment, year 12 just started for u and there's tons of chances in the future assessments. not to mention the final hsc which is worth 50% of ur entire atar. but 97 is quite a high aim so be sure to work on ur weak subjects in this case i assume its maths adv(?), hsc rewards consistency so u really don't want to bomb out on any of ur subjects.

I just chucked in ur subjects into an atar calculator so these are roughly the marks u'd need.
View attachment 33892
I think with using a calculator of this form, you have to be quite careful. With the HSCNinja calculator, I prefer that because you can put in marks you may think you will get and then the predicted ATAR. So for example, OP may get a Band 5 in English (for example), but may perform considerably stronger in Maths and Biology for example (getting mid to high Band 6s), also allowing them to get their desired ATAR.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)