Will biology be hard without chemistry (1 Viewer)

hunter551

HSC
N/A
I"m currently in year 10 and next year i'm doing biology and physics. I wanted to do chemistry instead of biology but i couln't at my school. Will biology be harder if i am not doing chemistry?

Buiboi

HSC
N/A
nope! im sure you can get through the course without chem, i dont do chem and i find biology pretty easy. THeres basically very little or no chemistry involved in bio anyway

yvettemaree47

HSC
When we were having our subject selection talks at school someone asked the same question. The science co-ordinator said that chemistry is definately not essential in studying biology. She said the same thing as Buiboi said above: Very little chemistry is actually involved.

So I'm gonna say you'll be fine!!! :) If you can handle physics you probably won't have any troubles at biology. Plus if you are finding it a little hard without chemistry there are quite a few good websites out there that can teach you... If you google it you'll find heaps

Idasarp

HSC
Hiya there!

well...i'm in year 11 this year (oh joy...:mad1: ) and when we did bio last year, the only chemistry involved there were only like 5 chemical equations that were important. (like photosynthesis, anaerobic repiration, so and so). what i'm trying to say is that if you actually understand the equation and how it is balanced and stuff, u'll be fine. Just like yvettemaree47 said, u can search for this on the internet. i'm sure your teacher will explain to u. Don't worry. u'll live.:) that's all i guess... good luck in year 10!

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
Biochemistry elective would require chemistry, I would think.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
Won't be hard.

A mate of mine did bio and phys.
It's completely do-able.

Rattlesnake

HSC
I did Biology last year and am still doing it this year., and there was little to no chemistry involved. Bio is a good subject especially if you do Geography as it will help with the biophysical interactions topic in Geog.

HSC
N/A
Hey I do bio and phys too
Bio's fine without chem, there's not really all that much to it, the topics you do in biology don't really coincide with chem.
Physics might need a little more chem knowledge though, but I think you'll be right

mr.xx

HSC
N/A
I did Chem, Physics and Biology - and although it was probably only 5 units total (with the overlaps between courses), you will learn everything you need to know for biology in biology. While yes some aid will come with doing chemistry in strengthening your scientific understanding (eg knowing terms like 'reliability' and 'validity') and some revision (eg water sanitisation is in both chem and bio), it is not that significant.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
Yes it will be hard

In some of the topics the teacher will randomly say "now using what we learned in chemistry the other day..." and you'll be sitting there like an idiot

FFS

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
No way. I do both bio and chem and not once have I ever needed my chemistry knowledge in bio.

euro-dragon

Im a LolOsaUR Hear Me Roa
HSC
Lodgic said:
You should be right. From my experience, only about 5% of HSC biology could be chemistry aided. And if chemistry is involved, it's usually very simple chemistry.
yep at our school you could definantely do any of the HSC sciences without having to do the others to compliment it and help. The chemistry in bio is small like remembering a sugar molecule and...well thats about it lol nah theres a little bit but its very easy without chem :)

Aplus

HSC
N/A
I'm doing the same. Physics and biology, but no chemistry.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
You will be fine. You don't really need much chemistry knowledge in biology. There is almost no overlapping between the two courses.

kyra-B4L

HSC
No way darl, i did biology in yr 12, i didnt even do yr 11. i wanted 2 do chemisty as well but got talked out of it and doin bio. there is no need for chemisty work in bio, no need to worry!

dwarven

[SMSHS'08']
HSC
nope

and u dont reely need chem in bio....

im doin phys and bio

gazzalite751

HSC
I'm only doing bio, and really the only thing I find that's related to chem are the general equations for the different biological processes, and they are already given to you in the text books and coursework.

So yeah, Chemistry is not needed to do bio =D

axlenatore

Scuba Steve
HSC
I do both Chemistry and Biology and have found they are quite different, in all sciences there is slight overlapping but its only background knowledge for example water treatment in Biology (search for better health) comes up in chemistry (monitoring and managing) but its easy to understand if you only do one of the science.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)