• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Will I be able to cope with Extension 1 Maths? (2 Viewers)

funnytomato

HSC
uve done calculus in yr 10?
OP sounds like he's accelerated since he says he's in the "Advanced" class, which is what some call 2u.

And to OP, 80+ in 2u tests is more than enough. Go for 3u, imo it's not that much extra work. 4u is an entirely different ballpark though, so that'll require some more consideration.
but I still think OP is referring to "advanced" as in 5.3 maths or whatever it's called

SharpieKid123

HSC
What I mean by "advanced" class is that my class is the "gifted and talented" class, the highest math class in the grade, and I'm doing very well in my tests; like I said 80% or above in everything. Our teacher says 3U math might be too hard for me, and I'd be better of doing 2U. My concern is that if I do 3U and I find it too hard, and I want to drop down, what if there is no space left in 2U?

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
What I mean by "advanced" class is that my class is the "gifted and talented" class, the highest math class in the grade, and I'm doing very well in my tests; like I said 80% or above in everything. Our teacher says 3U math might be too hard for me, and I'd be better of doing 2U. My concern is that if I do 3U and I find it too hard, and I want to drop down, what if there is no space left in 2U?
If you do 3 Unit, you must be in 2 Unit. How can there be no space?

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
No I mean for Year 11 and 12 classes
Give it a try, there is nothing to be afraid of. I think you misinterpreted what I have said. When you do 3 Unit Mathematics in Year 11, you must be in a 2 Unit Mathematics class. Hence there will always be space if you decided to drop down.

SharpieKid123

HSC
But if too many people apply for 2U Maths, and your in Ext 1 Math, and if you want to drop down, there won't be a spot left for you.

funnytomato

HSC
But if too many people apply for 2U Maths, and your in Ext 1 Math, and if you want to drop down, there won't be a spot left for you.
worst scenario is that when your school happens to have full 2u classes and no one in 2u is dropping, just stay in 3u and then drop to 2u in year 12

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Sharpie: since you are in the "gifted and talented" class and doing well in your tests I imagine you should easily be 3U material. Can't understand why yr teacher feels you should avoid it. Is 80% a low or high mark for the special class?

SharpieKid123

HSC
I think I'm going to give 3U a try, how much more difficult is it compared to 2U; a lot or just moderately? And how much more difficult is 4U to 3U?

SharpieKid123

HSC
She just feels that I have a very good chance of getting over 95% in 2U Math more than Ext 1, but then Ext 1 scales insanely high so I can't understand why she feels that is a problem.

K4M1N3

HSC
I would say difficulty comparison is dependent on the individual and their coping of the actual concepts for each topic. 3U is just continuation (extension of) from 2U ie same topics just some extra concepts, whereas 4U is completely separate topics. Although im sure people would say 4U is much harder than 3U, i personally don't see it.

funnytomato

HSC
I would say difficulty comparison is dependent on the individual and their coping of the actual concepts for each topic. 3U is just continuation (extension of) from 2U ie same topics just some extra concepts, whereas 4U is completely separate topics. Although im sure people would say 4U is much harder than 3U, i personally don't see it.
+1

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
She just feels that I have a very good chance of getting over 95% in 2U Math more than Ext 1, but then Ext 1 scales insanely high so I can't understand why she feels that is a problem.
I still don't think you understand what I am trying to say. Let's omit 4 Unit Mathematics out of the equation first. If you are doing Extension 1 Mathematics for your HSC. You MUST do 2 Unit Mathematics too. So therefore you will be placed in a 2 Unit class if you are placed in a 3 Unit class.

funnytomato

HSC
So 3U is not that much different to 2U?
personally, I don't think there's much difference
but different ppl have different opinions

i still don't see why can't you just give 3u a go, and chances are the 2u only classes will have vacancies or some one in 2u is gonna drop , which means you can still drop to 2u after 1st few weeks of year11

if you're really unlucky and all 2u only classes are full, just stay in 3u class(which is still gonna teach the 2u stuff) for 3 terms of year 11 and then drop to 2u in year 12

jnney

lemon
HSC
personally, I don't think there's much difference
but different ppl have different opinions

i still don't see why can't you just give 3u a go, and chances are the 2u only classes will have vacancies or some one in 2u is gonna drop , which means you can still drop to 2u after 1st few weeks of year11

if you're really unlucky and all 2u only classes are full, just stay in 3u class(which is still gonna teach the 2u stuff) for 3 terms of year 11 and then drop to 2u in year 12
Yes.

Do keep in mind that neither 2u or 3u are a walk in the park. I've witnessed many people at my school time and time again crying over their 30% score. Firstly it's annoying, and secondly, they've brought it on themselves. You have to be prepared to show self initiative and dedication to mathematics - i.e. doing practice questions from textbooks other than the ones you'e been signed at school, past practice papers etc. Yet of course that should come naturally for your other subjects as well.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
If she thinks you are capable of 95% in 2U I can't understand her logic in not encouraging you to do 3U (and subsequently 4U as well!). What school is this??

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
. . that neither 2u or 3u are a walk . . .
It should be: "neither 2u nor 3u are"

in contrast to "either . . . or . . ."

Please don't take offence.

Last edited:

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
Although im sure people would say 4U is much harder than 3U, i personally don't see it.
False. The theory in 4U is not that much harder than 3U per se, however the application and scope of the question is vastly different. Understanding the theory is one thing but applying it is another. i.e. There are numerous ways of solving a problem however there is always a quicker method. It is about being efficient in mathematics exam.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)