Will I be able to do well? (1 Viewer)

ram14

HSC
I have just come back to to Sydney after living in England for 5 years. I did the British Curriculum GCSE qualfications in which i performed very well in, which is equivalent to the Preliminary course here. Now that im back im just finishing year: 11 again and finidng it extremely difficult beacuse of the changes in the syllabus and the approach to answers. I do chemistry, physics, biology, maths extension 1, maths and engineering studies, i will probbaly drop engineering but i want to know if i dont perform well in year 11 will it affect my hsc course. I find extension maths very hard. Im extremely frustrated and just dont know what to do! Im looking for a UAI of above 95. Will I be able to cope in year 12? Will I be able to get a good UAI even with very basic knowledge of preliminary course?
Cheers.

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
Don't need to do well in preliminary course, because it doesn't count next year. However it will help you as a solid grounding for next year, the content, but none of the preliminary stuff is tested next year in the HSC exams, other than general, 2 unit and extension 1 maths, where up to 30% of the paper will be covering preliminary content. If you work hard next year, there should be no reason as to why you can't get a UAI of 95 and above :)

Last edited:

blahdarcy

HSC
good luck my friend, you will need to put in many hours of work and give away many weekends of going out, especially with such a science/maths directed curiculum, but at the same time chem pysics, bio and maths are all the same everywhere in the world so im sure you will have a basic knowledge

good luck with the 95 though

lala2

Banned
HSC
How did you go for your GCSEs? All top bands? If so, you'd be sweet I reckon.

karnoganguli

HSC
I doubt the content is what your finding hard (except extension 1 maths). I suggest that while learning the content do some exam questions to get used the style of questions. Do as many questions as possible so that you get a feel of what the examiners want.

With extension 1 i think its a matter of practice and sitting down and doing the work. Get maths in focus which is better at teaching. Get something like cambridge extension 1 maths to do questions as they are more in depth. Do past papers (see resources).

I think a tutor for maths might be the key because i think a tutor will be able to control you to do work at a constant pace. How's english advanced/standard? Are you doing well?

ram14

HSC
Hey guys,
Thanks for all you posts, its helped out. At least i know its i can do it, hoepfully. I did well in my GCSEs, i did 10 subjects, 6 As, 3 Bs and a C. Im finding the english advanced here easy it was just the other subjects i was worried about.
Thanks people. Later.

lala2

Banned
HSC
6A's....looking good there! Yeah, I think I would've achieved that standard had I stayed in the British system, and I did ok for my HSC so you'll be fine.

ram14

HSC
Hey guys, after much contemplation ive decided to drop extension maths, talked to a couple people and they have advised me against it ive only done 4 lessons of it and now exams are goin on so yeah its just way to hard to catch up. Just wanted to ask you opininons of the chances of me being able to pick up extension english. My old teachers form england say that its a good idea coz ive done well in both gcses for it. 2 As in Language and Literature so i mean will i be allowed to do it, im pretty sure ill be able to cope with it. What you guys think, i obviouslt havent done it in year 11 so far so that why im concerned but i was reading that if you don one of the assesment task you may be able to do it.
Thanks for your help.
Later...

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
ram14 said:
Hey guys,
Thanks for all you posts, its helped out. At least i know its i can do it, hoepfully. I did well in my GCSEs, i did 10 subjects, 6 As, 3 Bs and a C. Im finding the english advanced here easy it was just the other subjects i was worried about.
Thanks people. Later.
Hey yeah one of my friends friends came here from England this year. She said she was half-way through GCSE. Well at the school she's at shes topping english and extension.

Chiisora

HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
For some reason, I tend to assume that people who come from England must have a fairly good skill in english... Well, England, english... England and english...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)