Will I Get an ATAR of 95+ for these subjects? (1 Viewer)

arjun9194

HSC
N/A
Standard English
Maths Extension 1 (3UNIT)
Physics
Business Studies
IT (VET but also goes toward ATAR)

IF not do i have to do advanced English?

Thanks a lot in advance and i need to know ASAP 24 hrs from now MAX. Sorry but yeah. THANK YOU

Last edited:

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
you can get 99.95 ATAR with any combination of subjects
if you're asking for an estimate, we need your ranks and the rank of your school.

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
are u starting year 11 next year?
if yes, pick advanced english. if you absolutely suck terribly at it, you can drop down to standard in year 12.

BUT if you pick standard english now, you cant go back up so yeah.
also business studies doesnt scale THAT well but if you get a mid to high range band 5 and do well in everything else you'll be able to get 95+ no problem.

arjun9194

HSC
N/A
Thanks a lot but umm how do i fiigure out the rank of my school? I go to Casula High (LOL) and if i drop from advanced english to standard in year12, will the dropping down decrease my ATAR? If i Stick with standard english from the start of year 11, and i end up getting between band 5 and band 6, can i still get a 95+ ATAR?

Last edited:

arjun9194

HSC
N/A
if i drop from advanced english to standard in year12, will the dropping down decrease my ATAR? If i Stick with standard english from the start of year 11, and i end up getting between band 5 and band 6, can i still get a 95+ ATAR? Please answer these question mainly because i MUST and need to know this ASAP.Once again THank you

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
it will not decrease your ATAR, providing that you are able to maintain your ranks, improve, get good marks, etc.

I wouldn't do Standard English. It aligns poorly. Getting a Band 6 in Standard English is incredibly difficult. You're better off doing Advanced.

Existential

HSC
N/A
it is highly unlikely you will get a high ATAR with standard.

but i can see why you want to drop.

arjun9194

HSC
N/A
do you mean maintain it while i was in advanced, or maintain it after i drop down to standard. And by the way what do you mean by standard is poorly aligned and why is getting a band 6 hard in standard but not hard in advanced.
Isnt it meant to be easy to get a band 6 in standard then one in advanced?
and is band 5 in advanced good?

Last edited:

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
maintain if after you drop down to standard. If you're in advanced getting 80% and drop down to Standard with 70% then that is no good.

nope. it is MUCH harder to get Band 6 in Standard compared to Band 6 in Advanced. Only the top 80 or so in the state get a Band 6 in Standard. That is very little in comparison to the amount in Advanced.

A Band 6 in Standard will scale exactly the same as a Band 6 in Advanced. They just align differently, with a much higher raw mark needed to achieve a Band 6 in Standard. That is why it is better for you to do Advanced.

Also, Standard English = crap classroom environment = crap teachers = boring texts to study = intellectually unsatisfying work

muzeikchun852

HSC
Why don't you do ESL if you are eligible?
im in the same situation choosing ESL or advanced.

advanced:-
pros:
interesting texts.
the teacher got great note.
great class.

cons:
the teacher is extremely bitchy (everyone hate her), although compare to ESL, advanced's teacher would be better.
hard to get good marks (>85%).

esl:-
pros:
easy texts.

cons:
the teacher is crap as well.
average is extremely low - 46/100.
no notes given from teacher - need to find the source urself.

ESL or ADVANCED ?

harrisony

goodbye cruel world
HSC
N/A
Standard English
Maths Extension 1 (3UNIT)
Physics
Business Studies
IT (VET but also goes toward ATAR)

IF not do i have to do advanced English?

Thanks a lot in advance and i need to know ASAP 24 hrs from now MAX. Sorry but yeah. THANK YOU
dont expect IT vet to scale well

Deceptions

HSC
i have some former bos woman working in my school as a careers advisor atm
and she has told every1 in a year meeting
doesnt matter what subjects u do
marks + ranks are what counts
standard or adv
no difference
... jus do good .. >.<

arjun9194

HSC
N/A
im hoping what "Deceptions" said is true, but does that mean that if a get a band 5 or 6 in Standard english and do very good in all other subjects, i will get a very high ATAR?

why is it hard to do good in standard though? still dont get it, please expand
besides the fact that you get crappier texts, isnt it actually meant to be easy so you get a higher band in standard?

and why is advanced all of a sudden easier than standard?

thanks once again

Last edited:

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
im hoping what "Deceptions" said is true, but does that mean that if a get a band 5 or 6 in Standard english and do very good in all other subjects, i will get a very high ATAR?
Yes.

why is it hard to do good in standard though? still dont get it, please expand
besides the fact that you get crappier texts, isnt it actually meant to be easy so you get a higher band in standard?
If that were the case, everyone that was going to do Advanced English would do Standard, because it was easier.

But this is why it's harder to do 'well' in Standard. In 2009, only 0.2% of the candidature for Standard got a Band 6. That's 65 students. (Source: - Board of Studies NSW ). On the other hand, for Advanced, 11.27% of the candidature got Band 6. That's 3135 students. (Source: - Board of Studies NSW ).

and why is advanced all of a sudden easier than standard?
I wouldn't classify it as 'easier' in terms of content. However, as you can see from the above statistics, it is 'easier' in terms of more people achieving Band 6.

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
and is band 5 in advanced good?
it's very good IMO. I got 85 in adv eng and 88 in business studies like I was saying b4 and I got 95+ atar. I actually only got two band 6s so yeah you should be able to do it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)