Will I struggle without extension 1 mathematics for an engineering course (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hi,
I would like to undertake an engineering course at UNSW in 2022, probably civil/mechanical or maybe aerospace (hesitant on job opportunities in sydney). It says extention 1 assumed knowledge, however I have only done advanced maths. Will I struggle? Should I do a bridging course? I am fairly strong in maths with a 95/100 for advanced, but I'm not sure if that will get me by. Help appreciated.

tito981

HSC
Hi,
I would like to undertake an engineering course at UNSW in 2022, probably civil/mechanical or maybe aerospace (hesitant on job opportunities in sydney). It says extention 1 assumed knowledge, however I have only done advanced maths. Will I struggle? Should I do a bridging course? I am fairly strong in maths with a 95/100 for advanced, but I'm not sure if that will get me by. Help appreciated.
nah if u got 95 in advanced u probs good enough to self study the required parts

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
In terms of the 95/100 result for 2 unit that is a fantastic result and shows you are good at maths and can probably pick up concepts well.

However, you will need to for sure before you start the degree do the bridging course / learn the content yourself for the extension 1 maths. If you don't do that prior and try to do the catch up during the subject it will be quite difficult and you are likely to struggle. The content in the MATH1131 course is basically extension 2 maths + some extra things so extension 1 maths is needed to be able to understand those parts. The other factor that would make it difficult to catch up during the semester is that at UNSW because of the trimesters the subjects are quite fast paced. You don't need to pay for the bridging course if you don't want but I would recommend you do some solid revision on the relevant content before the mid february start

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Obviously you have a head for maths. Why you didn't bother to do Maths Ext 1 in your HSC, I don't know. But find out what UNSW's MATH1131 or MATH1141(depending on which you are likely to have to do, the latter I presume is more advanced) involves and try to do some self study while you still have time, and even if you decide to do a bridging course. You can pick a copy of say Cambridge Maths Ext 1 text, and self-study the relevant sections. You may, or may not, find this hard going. You can seek help from your classmates who have done Ext 1 (and Ext 2) - or if you can afford it, find a personal tutor.

jazz519 has provided good advice above.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)