Will my internals get nuked? (1 Viewer)

chemojoe

HSC
Sorry if this is your gazillionth time answering questions about outliers but... I'm asking this because NESA sounds really vague.

If students are removed from the moderation process, NESA calculates a moderated assessment mark that reflects their rank and placement within the school group after the moderation process is complete.

I admit it. I've been way too arrogant and distracted; I think I celebrated way too early. ive been losing sleep over this

I graduated from a high ranking school. My internals for chemistry were comfortably in the band 6 range (around the middle of first and last of band 6 in my school, idk how much 'clustering'/skewing there is), comparing with old data, even in the crappiest years of my school's performance. For a conservative estimate, let's go with 90 for internals. Now, as for externals, I think I got something around 80 (post-alignment), if we are to assume this years HSC chem was comparable to last year's. 95% of my school who does chem gets band 5 and above, leaving about 7 with worse than that (~140 enrolled in chem). Would I be treated as an outlier so far from my internals that my internals get dragged down as a fluke? Or would i technically count as within the normal range of the school and still get about 85? Thank you

Last edited:

chemojoe

HSC
and by internals i mean the usual rank range
also this user has mentioned someone who has bombed their externals, and even larger gap than what im expecting. The question is, is this context sensitive ie depending on the strength and size of a cohort?
1638833209623.png

Life'sHard

HSC
Uni Grad
I don't think many of us are that active atm since HSC just finished. Tbh there's nothing much you or I or any of us can do to change our ranks. What's done is done. I suggest you just ride the wave and see what you get. Good, bad, decent you'll just have to find a way to make use of that atar. Worrying about what you could theoretically get is pointless. It's done. Just relax. Get your mind off the HSC. That time of our lives has now passed.

icycledough

HSC
I don't think many of us are that active atm since HSC just finished. Tbh there's nothing much you or I or any of us can do to change our ranks. What's done is done. I suggest you just ride the wave and see what you get. Good, bad, decent you'll just have to find a way to make use of that atar. Worrying about what you could theoretically get is pointless. It's done. Just relax. Get your mind off the HSC. That time of our lives has now passed.
Everyone's probably too busy on schoolies or getting drunk at parties, lol. Definitely worth it considering how stress the last year has been for you guys.

Life'sHard

HSC
Uni Grad
Out of curiosity, what are you planning to do in uni?
I'm not 100% sure but it's between the actuarial and engineering for me. I'll have a few months to decide on which to choose. So only time will tell.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)