Will MyExternal Exam Mark Help Me? (1 Viewer)

Newbit

HSC
Hello guy, I have just finished my trials and all other internal examinations for my school and currently not feeling to positive about the Atar that I'm going to receive. I was wondering if there is any chance that doing well in my final examination, the HCS, that will greatly improve my Atar? My school is ranked between 300-350th. My subjects and marks are:
- Standard English Mark: 45% Rank: 60/100
- Business Studies Mark: 70% Rank: 15/40
- Biology Mark 75% Rank: 5/30
- Chemistry Mark 75% Rank: 5/8
- 2U mathematics Mark 55% Rank: 8/13

If I were to focus and try really hard for my final external Examination, would it greatly improve my Atar? I heard that the Board Of Studies average my marks by adding my Internal Mark and my External mark then dividing it by 2. If I were to continue with my current marks, what Atar should I be expecting?

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Your currently looking at around 55 ATAR, not very high. If you perform exceedingly well in the externals, it's probably possible to push to 80.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
I'd say if you continue like that you'd be looking at an atar in the high 60s maybe. Yes, your hsc mark is an average of internal and externals so if you focus and try really hard for externals it can improve your ATAR heaps. Your internal marks mean nothing though, it's the ranks (+ gap between ranks) and the external marks which help determine the internal marks. No offence but I think your chem exams are either not hard or being marked quite easily.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I'd say if you continue like that you'd be looking at an atar in the high 60s maybe. Yes, your hsc mark is an average of internal and externals so if you focus and try really hard for externals it can improve your ATAR heaps. Your internal marks mean nothing though, it's the ranks (+ gap between ranks) and the external marks which help determine the internal marks. No offence but I think your chem exams are either not hard or being marked quite easily.
I would say that the vast majority of schools mark the Sciences too easily. You often see many students on 90+% but struggle to get Band 6 in the actual HSC.

Coookies

HSC
I would say that the vast majority of schools mark the Sciences too easily. You often see many students on 90+% but struggle to get Band 6 in the actual HSC.
Not my school. Only about 10-15 people out of about 80 lose less than 10 marks. So if it was out of 40, only about 15 people will get 30+. Really puts students down.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)