Will Standard English prevent me getting a high ATAR? (1 Viewer)

HyperComplexxx

ლ(ಠ_ಠ ლ)
HSC
I dropped down from advanced after seeing how boring and hectic it was in Year 11 and now doing standard.
After first assessment (which i topped), I was offered a position back to advanced but i rejected it because i found standard more fun and laid back :haha:
Now i kinda it regret now because I've been told if i wanted an ATAR above 90 i should be doing advanced and not waste my time on standard.
So do you think standard will fu*k my ATAR up?

Thanks,

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
You're topping Standard; there's absolutely no reason why you can't attain a high ATAR.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Standard and Advanced scale the same.

Standard however aligns much worse than Advanced and I know from doing Advanced, they drill in techniques - which is what you need for success in the HSC. In Standard, my friends who did it said they were more in tune with the 'what' is going on and understanding that instead of techniques.

I suggest you march back to your school office and demand to be put into Advanced. Yes, it may be laid-back and "fun" but you are better off doing Advanced. You're capable of doing it - so why not? The only real difference between the two is one does a Shakespeare and does more challenging material.

HSC
Uni Grad
For now you just have to stay on top, for a bonus, try to get band 6 in standard if possible, or aim there so at least you can secure a high ATAR, well 90+ in your case

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Hyper is topping it for now. Things can change, you know.

Mature Lamb

wats goin on
HSC
Uni Grad
A girl in my grade got 98.90 with Standard English. She also did Gen Maths, Retail, Design and Technology, etc.

So no, doing Standard English will NOT prevent you from getting a high ATAR.

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
He's looking pretty comfortable now ATM and I reckon he can keep it up.

Although I forgot to mention, doing this well in Standard, it may not hurt to move to Advanced.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
A girl in my grade got 98.90 with Standard English. She also did Gen Maths, Retail, Design and Technology, etc.

So no, doing Standard English will NOT prevent you from getting a high ATAR.
^ You just have to score ridiculously high for it to match up aligning wise.

HyperComplexxx

ლ(ಠ_ಠ ლ)
HSC
thanks for the replies ^^
guess im stuck with standard now (NOooooooooooo)
and btw, whats the chances of me getting around or above 96 ATAR? (what marks should i be aiming for)

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
For Standard? You should probably be aiming for a good solid mark of 90; band 6.

HSC
Uni Grad
thanks for the replies ^^
guess im stuck with standard now (NOooooooooooo)
and btw, whats the chances of me getting around or above 96 ATAR? (what marks should i be aiming for)
standard - aligned marks of 90 or at least 85
MX1 - to get aligned 90 its around 56-60s, from what I've heard (i need to know this years raw marks too)
MX2 - to get aligned 90 its around 75-80/120, again, from what i heard...
physics i barely know about
chem i dont know of, and neither modern...
you can try to aim for more than 90 for each of your subjects, or around the 85 - high 80 range, and then you should be set for 96+

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
I don't see how your subjects will hinder you from attaining a high ATAR. You do MX2, game over (call gg). =]

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
For Standard? You should probably be aiming for a good solid mark of 90; band 6.
Yep, Sly is correct. There is only a slight discrepancy between a 90 in Standard and in Advance. However this is different in the lower bands.

suling

HSC
I was looking at the mark range thing for standard english yesterday...it is scary how few people got a band 6.

That said, evidently people did get band 6's..so it won't prevent you from a high ATAR, especially if you do well in your other subjects.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)