will titration be on hsc paper? (1 Viewer)

Shifty

Bulldogs 04' Premiers
HSC
is titration goin to be on the paper or in it???:S....:p

mathock

HSC
dual national titration gold medallist in the house :p yes, if ur asking me i say there will definitely be at least some calculations in the exam... ethanoic acid in vinegar?? sorry if im a bit slow, but why woudl they ask the content of ethanoic acid in acetic acid? if its pure acetic, then there couldnt be any ethanoic... ive never seen a question like that

mathock

HSC
bobbie212 said:
i think that ther mite be a big question on analysing ethanoic acid content in vinegar
can you explain what you mean by ethanoic acid in vinegar?? haha u have me worried now that ill get in there and there will be a 5-7 mark question on ethanoic in vinegar :p

Plebeian

Acetic acid = ethanoic acid, they're the same thing.

So it would just be that the vinegar is not 100% acid, it's probably dilute.

mathock

HSC
ahhhh.. the penny drops, im with you now :) too many names for the same bloody thing lol, just like ethene and ethylene, wats the point of iupac naming if the board of studies use the industrial name for just one hydrocarbon.... just silly.. keep it simple, thats wat i say :)

mathock

HSC
wouldn't phenolphthalein be better? i mean, if the question is talking about titration, then its not just about the range of the indicator, but also on how easily the intermediate point is to see... im not too sure, correct me if im wrong

mathock

HSC
aim54x said:
acid always goes into the burette: they used to have crushed glass valves and the base would sel them.
hmmm not always... its a lot easier with the base in the burette... when using phenolphthalein the solution goes from clear to pink, and is a lot easier to se the intermediate point than if the acid is in the burette and ur goin from pink to clear

lucyinthehole

mathock said:
wouldn't phenolphthalein be better? i mean, if the question is talking about titration, then its not just about the range of the indicator, but also on how easily the intermediate point is to see... im not too sure, correct me if im wrong
that's the one we've used all year. i was just reeeally confused before. i agree that this is probably the best for your average, standard titration

mathock

HSC
i know lol, ive explained that twice now... wat have all your techers been teaching you?? did any of u enter the royal australian chemical institute (RACI) titration comp??

lucyinthehole

mathock said:
i know lol, ive explained that twice now... wat have all your techers been teaching you?? did any of u enter the royal australian chemical institute (RACI) titration comp??
i did :D we never got to find out our results though. no double gold medallists here ;) (btw, show-off :p)

mathock

HSC
haha dude, im like a public identity because of that... i live in broken hill, and everyone who lives here are hillbillies... for getting 2 gold medals i got 2 articles about me and 2 pics in the local newspaper, got interviewed for the tv news, and got my pic in the smh and the daily telegraph... my teacher made the biggest deal out of it lol, i was lovin it :p its the first time anyones ever done it in australia... not too bad for a redneck from the outback :)

mathock

HSC
hmm i always used phenolphthalein and acid in the erlenmeyer flask... there are other ways tho, just go with wat ur familiar with

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)