Will u get marks off for not writing about sept 11 in that poem? (1 Viewer)

truly-in-bliss

my love is like woah!
HSC
OBSERVATIONS OF THE YEAR 2001

2001 shouls be memorable enough..... the 911 attack...

the little white lie.

the little white lie = weapon of mass destruction?

how swift
the rumour
the pointing
of a finger,
the departure
of a reason

as soon as the US suspected afghanistan, there were a lot of work done to sniff out afgan's allies....and when america claimed they suspect iraq for being invovled and they had weapon of mass destruction, and that was the *reason* to go into war..... as we now know.....they still ahvent found weapon of mass destruction...hence the *reaon* was really just an excuse ..hence *departure of reason*

how brief
the times on this earth
without war

notice the placing of the enjambment *wihtout war* the two words take up a whole line and the last one notebly which should bring a reader's atttention...... and if u recall...... the war happened all too fast.....and there were no solid evidence as the CIA and the american government confessed aftr the main part of war was finished...

how beautiful
to hear
the pleading
of a bully

bully = US (perhaps the UK), after the US and allies hae finished the war, i think the secretary of national state of secturity apologised for not finding any weapon of mass destruction, though he later on went statemetn that they will stil try their best, but there was a sense of apology. furthermore, the americans lacked humanitarian and peacekeeping support throughout the war and especailly after. at once, they directly asked france and a few other european countries.... but france and a few others hae refused, while other countries send some donation, but obviously not fillin up the US' requriments...

[I/ how precious
the shade of a tree[/I]

image of reconstruction, the lack of organic items such as a treee depicts the true horrors of irq, after war.

how sudden
the trapdoor oepning
the return to sleeping alone

trapdoor = US's declaring war, the ways it began and finish were sudden,

sleeping alone = US doesnt have that many allies, even though they have *moral* support from other countries, but they will not show any form of support aids, humanitarian or fianncial beyond their moral support, hence pretty much the US is alone now... it is also intersting to note that even 45% of the US soldiers say that they will not sign up for a second contract..

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
some of the links made are a bit obscure, but yeah i guess i see the sept 11 thing.

i think if the wanted use to write about the relevance of sept 11, they would have put something at the bottom like 'written about sept 11'. but they left it open to interpretation.

Vinny

hmmmmmmmm...... i didn't pick sept 11...but then again its a poem and there are heaps of different interpretations to poems and nothing is right or wrong....you could write about fighting the fairy floss chameleons from the dark side of uranus and still get good marks as long as you can justify it...i spose...

i thought each stanza depicted a different change...like the first one

how useful
the bucket
the ladder
the little white lie

basically what used to be useful in the past was a bucket and ladder, but society is changing so now wat is useful is the little white lie......

and that other stanza

how precious
art
laughter
the shade of a tree

that shows a loss of culture as art and laughter used to be precious, and then its saying like all teh destruction to the environment means that the shade of a tree is what is precious now and what will be precious because there arent any trees anymore

all of the stanzas could be broken up like this...as in what used to be something and how that is changing...pffft i dunno...its over...sweeeet

ohhh btw - i heard Peter Bakowski (the poet) was on the radio talking about the poem...and apparently he said nothing about sept 11

Last edited:

sugaryblue

Living on deficit
HSC
Originally posted by lillaila
Dun think so yea?...............it was kinda refering to it but i dont think ull get marked down.
that poem was kinda vague :rolleyes: even though I kept thinking about the title, the Sep 11 event didn't spring into mind..

instead, i thought it was about a guy who has lost his love ones. :rolleyes:

Almost There

my goal in life is to be a trophy north shore mum.
yep i didnt get that fricken poem. i wrote some crap about how the content of each stanza changed. whoever is reading my paper right now i apologize for the severe headache u will be getting from me crapping on for 1.5 pages about something i truelly do not get. and go figure it was the fricken 3 mark one!!

Almost There

my goal in life is to be a trophy north shore mum.
damn everyone. i fucked the poem up, got home, showed mum the paper...as soon as she saw it "wow, what a great poem..." and starts giving all this anaylsis. i said "i dont care" grabbed a match and set the bloody thing on fire.

PEOPLE ITS OVER LET IT DIE U NEVER HAVE TO THINK ABOUT IT AGIAN

and yep now banned from matches and any other fire starting material.

ssssonicyouth

phonic booth
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Catey
You could talk about the use of the repetitive question HOW?
it wasn't a question- the verb 'how' was indicative, not interogative;)

ie. the statement 'how sweet'---is not actually a question

ehhh sorry but i'm missing english analysis:rolleyes:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)