• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Wireless Internet for Laptop (1 Viewer)

iamsickofyear12

HSC
sunny said:
And you were able to connect to all of them?
I only actually connected to a couple of them because by the time I could connect we would be out of range.

melsc said:
I havent secured mine yet...i went to do it but I wasnt sure exactly how...can anyone give me some pointers
You can either go into the setup and guess what to do which isn't really difficult if you know anything about computers. Or you can read your setup book that came with your wireless router or whatever it is that you use if you have no idea or don't want to risk screwing things up.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
I think I know how to do it, I think when I first set it up it asked from some encryption number and I didnt realise at the time it was probably in the book. I just have to be bothered lol
I never read the setup guides :rolleyes: I probably should though

HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
I only actually connected to a couple of them because by the time I could connect we would be out of range.
I believe someone has already mentioned it, but a lot of the ones which come up as unsecured won't actually permit connection because of mac address restrictions, etc. afaik unsecured just means that it's an open access point, not encrypted.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
melsc said:
I think I know how to do it, I think when I first set it up it asked from some encryption number and I didnt realise at the time it was probably in the book. I just have to be bothered lol
I never read the setup guides :rolleyes: I probably should though
Mine just says encryption I think, and its default is disabled so you just check enable box and it asks for a password. I don't think my information book actually said how to make it secure, it only said how to make it work. That's probably why so many people leave them unsecure because they either don't know how to do it, don't want to risk screwing it up or don't understand that other people can connect to an unsecured network.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
ogmzergrush said:
I believe someone has already mentioned it, but a lot of the ones which come up as unsecured won't actually permit connection because of mac address restrictions, etc. afaik unsecured just means that it's an open access point, not encrypted.
That's probably true for some of them but I am guessing that a lot of people would just go out and buy these things having little idea about how to set them up and so end up with networks that anyone can connect to.

HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
That's probably true for some of them but I am guessing that a lot of people would just go out and buy these things having little idea about how to set them up and so end up with networks that anyone can connect to.
oh yeah definitely, at least some would definitely be like that, I think it's a bad idea for them to come with security features disabled by default (At least, a bad idea in relation to how it affects customers) :)

MedNez

:o>---<
HSC
N/A
melsc said:
That reminds me to get off my lazy ass and make sure the network is 100% secure :rolleyes:
Have a read of this Mel, some ideas to help you secure your network :)

jokay22

HSC
N/A
Dear All,
I'm an int'l student & will be starting my degree in Sydney next year.
I've a Portege S100 & my question is:
Is there anything I should add/prepare to have my laptop connect to the Uni's wireless connection (USYD)?
If I live in SUV (Sydney University Village), what should I do?
Get a wireless provider? Which one? Any recommendation? What are my options?

Thx before..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)