Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Apple Airport

• Belkin

• Total voters

vds700

HSC
I need to buy a new wireless router, just want to hear your thoughts on the different brands. Main areas of importance are range and connection reliability.

In the past I've used D-Link, which have been average, had a fair amount of trouble with connections dropping out etc.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
I have only ever seen linksys, dlink, netgear and belkin in action... so I chose the one I thought performed the best and gave the best range for the price models I have seen.

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
I have a NetComm NB5plus4W. I doubt they're still in productions, but having had this router has made me never want to buy a NetComm ever again.

HSC
Uni Grad
I don't think it really matters. We have an ewire (pretty much a no name tbh) and it works fine, very rarely drops and even if it does it probably has nothing to do with the router and more to do with Telstra (yeh I know, fuck me dead) and stuff.

Calculon

Mohammed was a paedophile
HSC
N/A
WRT54GL with tomato and it will never fail ever

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
thats a pretty crappy question to ask tbh,

give me a budget and ill give you the best router brand + model and where to get it

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
NEVER go Netgear. Mum had a netgear NB5 and it randomly dropped connection then dropped every 5 minutes. A good run was 2 hours without a drop, then it'd drop constantly.

The Belkin N1 is the shiz. Never had a problem, it's never dropped connection, And the broadcast range is like 30 meters, 20 through a tin wall lol.

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
to answer your question,

right now i'm using a tp-link adsl2+ router to connect to the internet, and 2 routers i use as a WAP which are a billion 7300N and a billion 5200G.

they haven't failed me yet.

(billion 7300N has been going strong for at least 2 years.. keep in mind they transfer alot of data.. maybe about 250gbs a month, running 24/7.)

i've used netgear, d-link in the past and i've found them to last only a year or so *but these were probably the cheaper series as opposed to the high-end stuff*
thats a year if it doesn't disconnect every so hours and i have to get a new router.

a billion =D

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
I've got a TP-Link TL-WR941ND and it doesn't drop out at all, even when it has been dragged off the back of my desk by a falling speaker XD.

ilikebeeef

HSC
Linksys is good. It also has a dedicated customer service - they were willing to spend a few hours on the phone helping out (Please don't ask me what the problem was, I cannot remember). Netgear on the other hand, although cheap, apparently sucks.

Last edited:

vds700

HSC
thats a pretty crappy question to ask tbh,

give me a budget and ill give you the best router brand + model and where to get it
Yeah, was a bit vague, sorry. Was just meaning, I've had trouble with d-link in the past, I don't want to buy with them again. So just wanted opinions on the other brands, what people's experiences are.

Looking to spend in the range $100-150

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
Yeah, was a bit vague, sorry. Was just meaning, I've had trouble with d-link in the past, I don't want to buy with them again. So just wanted opinions on the other brands, what people's experiences are.

Looking to spend in the range $100-150
any specific features you want?

ie.

wireless G?
wireless N?
3g support?
QOS ?
VOIP?
no. of ports?
gigabit ports?

Last edited:

vds700

HSC
any specific features you want?

ie.

wireless G?
wireless N?
3g support?
QOS ?
VOIP?
no. of ports?
gigabit ports?
preferably n, but g is adeguate.
4 ports, don't need gigabit
need QOS as well

cheers

harrisony

goodbye cruel world
HSC
N/A
What's your budget
The Billion 7300N is solid. Billion and DrayTek make some really solid tech

Last edited:

sunny

meh.
HSC
Just went from a stone age WRT54G to a Billion 7401VGP R3, and the WRT54G craps all over the Billion in wireless performance.

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
Just went from a stone age WRT54G to a Billion 7401VGP R3, and the WRT54G craps all over the Billion in wireless performance.
did you set it up correctly?

you can get basic wireless N routers from $120 up.

billion 7300N is good, i've got the same one

bouncingfire

HSC
Personally I avoid wifi at all costs (Ethernet FTW!), its probably from cheap hardware but when ever i have used it i have never been able to get a reliable connection out of it with it often dropping out every 10mins.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)