Withdrawing from units and enrolling? (1 Viewer)

Topazkick

HSC
I know the census date to withdraw from units is 31st march and I want to withdraw from one unit: engl120...but if I do, I'm not sure if I can enrol internally/externally into another unit for this semester as that cut off date was the 5th march which i only found out today.

I think I might be able to if i email uni: "If you have genuinely missed the last enrolment date and wish to enrol into first semester internal units, please send your request to admission@mq.edu.au."

I was just wondering if there is any chance I'll be able to enrol into another unit for this semester...or if I should just stick it out in this unit.

If i was able to enrol, I'd probably switch to japanese or spanish 101. As I've studied japanese in high school and i like languages so i could probably pick up a language fine/wouldn't be too behind.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
I know the census date to withdraw from units is 31st march and I want to withdraw from one unit: engl120...but if I do, I'm not sure if I can enrol internally/externally into another unit for this semester as that cut off date was the 5th march which i only found out today.

I think I might be able to if i email uni: "If you have genuinely missed the last enrolment date and wish to enrol into first semester internal units, please send your request to admission@mq.edu.au."

I was just wondering if there is any chance I'll be able to enrol into another unit for this semester...or if I should just stick it out in this unit.

If i was able to enrol, I'd probably switch to japanese or spanish 101. As I've studied japanese in high school and i like languages so i could probably pick up a language fine/wouldn't be too behind.
I really would not recommend picking up a language unit so far into semester, languages at uni are not taught like languages in high school- they move very very fast and require a lot of work every week to get you through the final exams.

Unless you were a Japanese extension student (in which case i don't think you're even actually allowed to take the beginners course) or are fucking brilliant at languages i can almost certainly guarantee that you will struggle to catch up.

EDIT: just checked the handbook, you cant actually take jps101 if you studied beginners, continuers or extension during the HSC. In the nicest possible way, if you start a language you have never studied before halfway through semester you will probably fail.

Last edited:

Topazkick

HSC
I really would not recommend picking up a language unit so far into semester, languages at uni are not taught like languages in high school- they move very very fast and require a lot of work every week to get you through the final exams.

Unless you were a Japanese extension student (in which case i don't think you're even actually allowed to take the beginners course) or are fucking brilliant at languages i can almost certainly guarantee that you will struggle to catch up.
I only did Japanese Continuers and got a band 6, I would of done extension but i was already doing other extension units and didn't want to overbalance the workload thing in the hsc...

How long are language exams?

Or should i pick a non-language unit?

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
I only did Japanese Continuers and got a band 6, I would of done extension but i was already doing other extension units and didn't want to overbalance the workload thing in the hsc...

How long are language exams?

Or should i pick a non-language unit?
You must have missed my edit, you can't actually take japanese101 if you have done Japanese continuers. All my language exams have been 3 hours and they were very challenging, languages at uni are a bitch because you go through the content so quickly. I really would not pick a brand new language unit this late, really.

Topazkick

HSC
You must have missed my edit, you can't actually take japanese101 if you have done Japanese continuers. All my language exams have been 3 hours and they were very challenging, languages at uni are a bitch because you go through the content so quickly. I really would not pick a brand new language unit this late, really.
oh ok, thanks for the info anyway, lol i wish i'd realised sooner that i didn't have to do my current unit/wasn't really liking it...but I should get through ok.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
oh ok, thanks for the info anyway, lol i wish i'd realised sooner that i didn't have to do my current unit/wasn't really liking it...but I should get through ok.
Unfortunately its inevitable that you end up doing units you really don't like that much but sometimes you just have to grit your teeth and do it i guess. I would say pick a different non-language unit but isn't it like, week 6 or something? No matter what you did it would be pretty hard to catch up.

*rUsTy*

HSC
I'm not liking ENGL120 very much either... unfortunately I don't have a choice and have to stick with it :p

HSC

It's not possible I'm afraid as I've been through the whole ordeal this semester :(. Basically, unless you seem to have a very valid reason (like if you were in a coma) they won't even consider it. I tried to change mine before the closing date, but there were issues enrolling in one particular unit. When I called, I couldn't get through (after waiting for 45 minutes) and called estudent support. They told me to call enrolment on Monday. So on Monday, after going around asking head staff if I can get into their class and to check for available space, I re-call admission, tell them about the whole dilemma, and they say... no... It's quite frustrating when it isn't even your fault, and when they actually admit that there WERE problems with that unit, then blame you for not enrolling in it sooner...

So it's a no go :( And don't unenrol, as you can't enrol into anything except Semester 2 Units.

Btw, is English 120 really that bad?

Last edited:

Topazkick

HSC
So it's a no go :( And don't unenrol, as you can't enrol into anything except Semester 2 Units.

Btw, is English 120 really that bad?
That sucks, English 120 isn't that bad, it's not as interesting as I thought it'd be - or at least the essay questions aren't - it's my least favourite tutorial, I don't really get a chance to say what I think but I think that's mostly because of other people in my class. I hear it's not so bad in some other tutes.

The lecture's are ok, everything is on blackboard so if you miss it, you can catch up fine. I think/hope the topics will get more interesting. In terms of difficulty, it's not hard especially if you were good at English, I'm probably just suffering from post hsc english essay resentment.

I just realised engl120 wasn't a prerequisite for what i wanted to do and am just a bit annoyed about trying to fit writing this essay around another essay and a group assignment due within hours of each other for my other units.

*rUsTy*

HSC
Just checking, we can change our semester 2 units now without penalty of any kind can't we?

I just realised I'm dong a unit that I don't need to do and I'd like to replace it with a unit that I do need to do.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
You can withdraw from it, not change it, till the 31st of March without penalty. Changing units is only available up to the 2nd week in iirc?

*rUsTy*

HSC
Oh... but I thought the Sem. 2 census date was in August. I just want to withdraw from one unit and enrol in another.

tajid73

HSC
Dont u think its too late now to change units?? it would be really hard to catch up with the rest of other students. it's almost half a semester already and many subjects have had some assessments' marks. You will be really disadvantaged. so just think the subject ur doing as an elective..

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Oh, my bad, didn't see the sem 2 part yeah you've got time.

ac91

HSC
what tute are you in???
I do this subject! ahah;)

ac91

HSC
With lee O'brien? I am in this! what's your name? lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)