witness essay need correction/help (1 Viewer)

pr0jektn

HSC
‘The way people respond to and resolve conflicts says a lot about them and their community’

An individual’s solution to an issue or conflict represents a part of their identity and community in which they belong to. There are particular individuals in certain communities that when confronted with an issue they seek to solve it through peaceful and non violent means. But opposed to them are those who advocate violence as a way to deal with their predicaments which reflect on their values and beliefs and the society in which they represent. Today’s present communities consist of disputes waiting to occur, each and every individual face their problems differently depending on where they belong and their form of identity. The method in which people utilize when they are confronted with a problem reflects on who they are and the communities in which they are apart of.

A person who promotes pacifism undertakes solution methods for disputes that reflect peace, this defines who they are and where they come from. When there is a clash of views or a disagreement pacifist tend to deal with it through words and not actions to seek a mutually agreeable solution. In Peter Weir’s film this method is clearly present in the Amish society despite changes that’s have occurred to their civilization they still resolve conflicts as their forefathers did, this shines on why they are such a strong founded community based on peace and are violence free. They are devoted to the religion of Christianity and believe that when confronted with a problem “Christians do not retaliate, seek vengeance for bible says that vengeance should be left to the Lord”. Their peacekeeping ways are evident in film scenes where Daniel and the fellow Amish are being provoked by tourist , they fail to retaliate but all they do is watch this portrays them as non violent and this reflects on their peaceful society. The Amish beliefs are depicted in the scene where Eli says “We believe it is wrong to take life and that it is only for god” which shows the Amish quality of nonviolence, meaning it is not up to an individuals choice to be able to take someone’s life and that it is considered immoral. Their dispute settlement methods reflect on their peaceful identities and their strong form of community.

Our identity makes up who we are and reflects on our community, in the modern civilization in Witness we observe their ways of dealing and responding to conflict which shows us their values of self importance and brutality. One of the various ways for dispute settlement is through physical means, the protagonist John Book a character belonging to the city streets of Philadelphia has a passion for justice which is a fundamental aspect of his identity and is expressed in the career he has chosen which is to resolve conflict. The violent motives occur due to the community’s selfish nature and dissolute way of life, this is evident within the corrupted police force consisting of high classed police officers who abuse their powers for the main purpose of wealth which is depicted when Mcfee murders the undercover cop in the bathroom. Not only do the corrupt undertake violent procedures, the police embark on physical means even in unnecessary circumstances, for instance the identification of T-bone required Book to ‘whack’ him even though he did not show signs of resistance to begin with. Philadelphia portrays a society in which the streets itself is not safe, car park shootouts and bathroom murders occur, even the police are not worthy of trust. A city which majors in crime, consist of individuals who resort to violence as a solution to their problems and disagreements.

In our present day communities, an individual’s solution to conflict varies but the approach in which he adopts allows a precise assumption to be made about their values and beliefs and where they belong. Humans are social beings who thrive through connections with others, the method in which they solve conflict with are similar to the community they belong to because when you choose to fit in you mix with like minded people with common interest and similar values. To exemplify school groups, we like to talk to friends who share similar interest, and when a problem arise’s since we have similar values we deal with it the same, depending on the school group you may undertake bullying or through means of discussion. In addition countries also vary in methods of resolving issues, let’s say America when an individual undertakes murder they are deemed to capital punishment where as in Australia a much more lenient imprisonment will be imposed. In relation to my perspective, I belong to several groups, for instance in my family when we reach a conflict, we deal with it through discussion or through my parents laying down their binding decision this reflects on my identity and my family as being fair.

Disputes arise, arguments occur and violence breaks out, depending on the community and your own identity says a lot about whether you will or will not adopt this method of dispute solution. Individuals confront their problems according to their values and beliefs which reflect on their society they belong to, they may wish to solve it through verbal means such as discussion or negotiation or through violence, placing the other disputer in danger of harm. As we can see in the film witness the Amish adopt these pacifist methods as the ‘English’ focus on their own an individual wealth and wellbeing without care of anyone else. In the world we perceive today, we have formed several methods of dispute settlement, through means of the justice system, enforced by the police or in some cases by individuals this reflects on the community in which we pertain to.

ITS A REFLECTIVE PIECE

cattyxxx

HSC
overall i think it was really good, it was worded really well.
however when you say 'In Peter Weir’s film this method is clearly present in the Amish society despite changes.. etc' you should mention the name of the film, perhaps the genre and maybe a little background context before jumping into next bit. just what my teacher keeps telling me when we do our text responses.
hope thats alright as help. x

EDIT - also i read it again, im not sure if you're meant to say "I",
In relation to my perspective, I belong to several groups, for instance in my family when we reach a conflict, we deal with it through discussion or through my parents laying down their binding decision this reflects on my identity and my family as being fair

perhaps, say that in a family situation conflict can be handled in different ways, for instance when reaching a conflict, it is dealt with through discussion, or parental decisions which in turn reflects on the family as being fair or reasonable. Or another case where disputes are handled irrationally through arguments, it shows a different upbringing and community within that family.
or something .... i dunno is that help or am i on the wrong track?

Last edited:

pr0jektn

HSC
lol thankyou but its not a text response its more of context and reference to the movie

cattyxxx

HSC
pr0jektn said:
lol thankyou but its not a text response its more of context and reference to the movie
oh okay, sorry lol. ohwell i added my 2 cents anyway. x

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)