woes about some courses - please help! (1 Viewer)

rooeys2

i like to laugh =)
HSC
i have a couple of questions which i need some opinions on:

im currently trying to decide between commerce (liberal) at unsw 98.35, commerce - marketing/law 98.45 at macquarie or commerce/law 95.9 at macquarie, im not really sure which would be the best?

i applied for commerce/law at unsw before but i couldnt make it to the cutoff, so now im seeking an alternative. i have a friend who was under the same situation, she did commerce/law at macquarie and later transferred to unsw cuz she did really well in uni. just wondering how hard will i have to work to do this?

one last thing, does it really matter what uni you graduate from in areas of law? people have given me different opinions, some say employers prefer graduates from usyd/unsw for law but who knows :S

kooltrainer

HSC
of course commerce at unsw, its more famous... ppl look at ur uni . Macquarie is too far away... =T

u shuld consider commerce, then transfer to commerce/law next year... which is apparently easy to do with a 98uai coz u only need a 70 wam (whatever that means, but i think its sum uni mark)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
People don't give a fuck about law unless you come from USYD, simple as that.

Ali -

HSC
N/A
kooltrainer said:
u shuld consider commerce, then transfer to commerce/law next year... which is apparently easy to do with a 98uai coz u only need a 70 wam (whatever that means, but i think its sum uni mark)
WAM = Weighted Average Mean

For further information, refer to
Grade Point Average and Weighted Average Mark

**Note: you will need to apply yourself to your studies in every Unit and you should be able to achieve a Distinction average. To cull candidates, the faculties look at the applicants WAM (and to some extent high school scores) in deciding on who should receive an offer for a transfer.

So maximise your average during 1st year to the best of your ability.

**In terms of employment, there are many factors which are involved:
culture of the firm i.e. do they focus mainly on top law school applicants?
your marks i.e. your WAM compared to other Uni grads WAM's. Afterall, if you complete your degree with a HD average from a uni with less prestige and another candidate has a C average from a more prestigious uni, they will most likely favour you as all students cover the same course material in order to be granted an LLB.

Good luck.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)