Wolfram Alpha Free online Integration Tool (excellent resource) (1 Viewer)

S.H.O.D.A.N.

world
HSC
Hi, Slidey here.

I just wanted to let everybody know about Wolfram Alpha. It's pretty amazing for mathematics purposes. It incorporates Mathematica but entering queries is easier, and it extends beyond maths. I imagine it should be quite useful for HSC Maths.

Here's an example of solving the limit of ln(x)/x as x -> infinity:
http://www94.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=lim+x->infinity+ln(x)/x

Click 'show steps' to see how Alpha solved it using l'Hospital's rule.

Here's the derivative of ln((sin(x^2)-8ln(2/x)^-1)), including steps and two plots at different scales:
http://www94.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=derivative+ln((sin(x^2)-8ln(2/x)^-1))

Perhaps this thread could be stickied? Ideally this thread would be replicated on all the forums (General, 2U, 3U) as Alpha is a perfect aid for figuring out how to do many questions because it offers working (many books don't offer working in answers, and past exams usually don't come with answer). I don't see any mods here anymore, though, which is sad.

Last edited:

gurmies

Drover
HSC
Re: Wolfram Alpha

Very great tool, but solves a lot of integrals using long recurrence formulae when a simple manipulation will suffice. Completely understandable, considering the nature of how they calculate this crap....

MC Squidge

BOS' Apex Predator
HSC

but can it do circle geo questions

S.H.O.D.A.N.

world
HSC

but can it do circle geo questions
Wolfram Alpha is good for helping with understanding more mechanical types of questions (e.g. integration, graphing, complex numbers, etc), not the problem solving and proof-based ones, almost by its very nature as a computer programme.

jet

Banned
HSC

An excellent resource, therefore stickied and replacing the old "Online integration step by step website + more" thread.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad

Haha, my teacher showed me this website (which I had no idea about until halfway through my course).

I think the 'Maths Online' website: Maths Online - Free Maths Tuition For All Australian High School Students which is provided and sponsored by McDonalds should be sticked as well.

Oh... WolframAlpha also have an iPhone/iPod Touch app which is very handy and cool. I think I will have to invest in an iPod touch not only for this reason.

Last edited:

ohlookmonkeys

HSC
Re: Wolfram Alpha Free online integrator (excellent resource)

anyone know how to do solid of revolution on wolfram alpha

zoeyw

HSC
Mathematica is an old tool which is very popular among engineering students in Canadian universities. They have stayed current by updating and changing its user interface regularly. Interestingly the founder Stephen Wolfram, has also contributed to setting up the Museum of Mathematics(MoMATH) in the US.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)