Wollongong Suburbs (1 Viewer)

Jollyroger

Spiffing Weasel
HSC
Im planning on moving down to wollongong for Uni from byron bay. I have almost no experience with the area and was wondering about which suburbs are good for students. Also if there are any I should avoid.

HSC
Uananderra isn't too bad in certain areas - in others I wouldn't want to be there by myself after dark. Also try and avoid Port Kembla. Most suburbs that are adjacent to the uni are decent though

Most students (that I know) live in Gwynneville and in Fairy Meadow.

Atticus.

how do i get out of this
HSC
im a fan of fairy meadow
its super close to the beach
walking distance to the uni
walking distance to the trains
close to town

then again if you have a bit more coin or are a bit more resourceful finding a place id check out north wollongong

maskd

HSC
The suburbs that surround the Uni are:

* Mount Ousley (I live here :))
* Fairy Meadow
* Gwynneville
* Keiraville

They're all good suburbs, very green, and theres basically no crime.

It all depends on how much you are willing to commute to Uni, but as Without Wings suggested, try Uni accomondation untill you are comfortable with the area and can decide on your own.

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
Gwynneville, Fairy Meadow and Nth Wollongong.

Avoid Port Kembla.

I like Thirroull but it seems a little far away but can be easily done via train.

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
maskd said:
The suburbs that surround the Uni are:

* Mount Ousley (I live here :))
* Fairy Meadow
* Gwynneville
* Keiraville

They're all good suburbs, very green, and theres basically no crime.

It all depends on how much you are willing to commute to Uni, but as Without Wings suggested, try Uni accomondation untill you are comfortable with the area and can decide on your own.
hahahahahahahaha...................HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
All I know is that fairy meadow has some fucking dodgy cunts.

Some guy tried to steal my phone once :(

pinoying

HSC
I'll agree with fairy meadow being rather dodgy... I'm a pizza dude in the area and ive been held up at knife point in fairy meadow and our car has been vandalised by shifty little buggers that hang around and ride their pushies

alby

cool duckie
HSC
parts of every suburb will have dodgy activity more than once...some more often and more places than others

Jollyroger

Spiffing Weasel
HSC
Thanks a bunch guys, i was thinking north wollongong, fairy meadow, around there, i cant do at uni accom because im moving down with 2/3 friends, two of which arent attending uni. Also those suburbs sound good cause their on the trainline and if i come down i will be a bluescope (port kembla) engineering cadet. I also dont have a car so need to train there i think.

Might try dodge fairy meadow, but theres plenty of shit that happens up here, i doubt it would be much worse. Eg a stabbing in woolies carpark.

alissa_xoxo

Share the Love.
HSC
Old thread but meh.

It's called Fairy Ghetto for a reason. It's okay if you live on Campus East, I guess. It's not as bad as Bellambi though, which you should avoid at all costs.

Gwynneville and West Wollongong (though a little far from the traino at times) are ideal.. rent is decent if your sharing (maybe roughly 90pw from the 3 of you for a house). Dapto is a bit dodgy in parts but is apparently going to be subject to considerable economic growth in the next couple years so it won't be as dodgy.

North from (and including) Corrimal generally have lower crime rates than the suburbs closely surrounding Wollongong. They're a bit further from uni, but I live in Bulli and catch the train/bus into uni everyday, it's never been a problem.

Good luck.

dawso

needmorecustomstatusspace
HSC
Jollyroger said:
Thanks a bunch guys, i was thinking north wollongong, fairy meadow, around there, i cant do at uni accom because im moving down with 2/3 friends, two of which arent attending uni. Also those suburbs sound good cause their on the trainline and if i come down i will be a bluescope (port kembla) engineering cadet. I also dont have a car so need to train there i think.

Might try dodge fairy meadow, but theres plenty of shit that happens up here, i doubt it would be much worse. Eg a stabbing in woolies carpark.

man, you will really wanna get a car or at least a bike....bluescope means you will be say starting work at 6, working till like midday, then having lectures starting at 1230, then at uni till say 330, and then having to go back to work....really chaotic hours and if your training it around all the time,....life will suck

CharlieMacca

HSC
Definatly Austi man, best suburb in the illawarra. Fairly Ghetto isnt too bad though, some nasty characters though.

alby

cool duckie
HSC
austi's cool and all, but its really far from uni, let alone port)

you'd want to be in one of the major suburbs to increase the amount of trains going your way...so thirroul (far, but ok on an express), north gong/gwynneville or town. i've seen some places up for lease in the eastern part of gwyneville (near i house and on foley st), and they're only a short walk to the station and uni...plus there's the shuttle from the station to uni.

somewhere like fairy meadow, corrimal and town are good if you're living with people and no car, as they all have a woolies and/or aldi and/or coles. you dont really wanna be catching a train/bus to the shops all the time

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)