Wondering about Engerneering maths (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mathswiz69

HSC
hey guys, I was wondering what subjects you need to do to do electrical engerneering in uni, I am currently studyiny:

-General Maths
-Both Histories (ancient/mod)
-Std English
-tafe accounting
-business studies

I took general maths because I wasnt very good at maths in year 10, but now I am rly enjoying it, and I want to do maths iin uni. It says 3 unit maths required but i think i can handle it, cause i am good at algebra

my school is ranked in like the400s so i think that is pretty good as there are alot of schools around

thanks guys

HSC
You will never be able to do electrical engineering with general maths. Im sorry m8 but you will not be doing engineering at uni lol you arent even doing physics.

mathswiz69

HSC
you sur? I looked at my electrical circuit board at home and it didnt look very complicated, im pretty sure I can handle it

/\/\/\/\

HSC
open a 2U maths book, see how that goes.
then open a 3U book and see how that goes.
You'll probs have to learn a shitload of maths over the xmas holidays to even be close to par, and thats if your a genius. But it's probs possible.

oh and chemistry and physics.

Last edited:
HSC
You'll probs have to learn a shitload of maths over the xmas holidays to even be close to par, and thats if your a genius. But it's probs possible.
or he could just do a bridging course but whatever

mathswiz69

HSC
I was like looking through my friends book and i saw all these triangles with missing sides, u just use pythagorus, i lernt tht in yr 7

Uncle

Banned
HSC
hey guys, I was wondering what subjects you need to do to do electrical engerneering in uni, I am currently studyiny:

-General Maths
-Both Histories (ancient/mod)
-Std English
-tafe accounting
-business studies

I took general maths because I wasnt very good at maths in year 10, but now I am rly enjoying it, and I want to do maths iin uni. It says 3 unit maths required but i think i can handle it, cause i am good at algebra

my school is ranked in like the400s so i think that is pretty good as there are alot of schools around

thanks guys
electrical engineering?
and you did general maths?
lol.
the most mathematically demanding of all engineering majors, nice one lol.

you sur? I looked at my electrical circuit board at home and it didnt look very complicated, im pretty sure I can handle it
lol.
make sure you can solve many simultaneous equations for sure.

why would I do a bridging course to get into engerneering, shouldnt I do a bridging course after I have studied engerneering?

no lol thats not how it works.
you should do General Maths at UNSW, then do Maths and so forth at UNSW.
bridging course assumes you did shithouse in 2unit.

EDIT: Topics in 2nd year MATH2019

http://community.boredofstudies.org/4361555/post-2.html

Last edited:

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
with those kinda subjects i'd've thought u'd be going onto doing some commerce/business/arts degree.
Engineering requires at least 2U maths advanced.

Take me for example.. my hsc subjects were 2U maths advanced, english advanced, physics, chemistry, and engineering studies.

3U maths is recommended, and for good reason. I did a bridging course in the month before i starteded uni, and it helped, but general maths is a very low level maths when compared to 2U and 3U.

You say you're good at algebra? What do you know about vectors and matrices?
Heard of cross product and dot product?
Gaussian elimination?
Linear independance/dependance?

Uni maths is incomparable to highschool maths, except for 4unit and maybe a bit of 3unit.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
U think ur maths will get u somewhere in life? I have practice work experience with my vet cource, and I have a gf
um u made this thread because u wanna do electrical engineering.

gf has nothing to do with this.

work experience will help you ONCE YOU GET A JOB.
Before getting a job you need to get the degree (the point of your thread, right?).

I personally dont think you'll survive doing electrical engineering at uni with those subjects.

talbotross

HSC
cop it, when u actually research engineering at the unis it actually says a band 5 in 2U is bare minimum, recommends higher. just look it up before u make a fool of yourself, oh wait you already did.

Last edited:
HSC
U think ur maths will get u somewhere in life? I have practice work experience with my vet cource, and I have a gf
Lol, a girlfriend or practical work experience won't get you a place in Electrical Engineering course, nor will having those make you automatically 'win'/succeed in life.

MrDimple

HSC
i also did wanna do engineering since there were bridging courses and things. But i guess you can "try" do it with nothing on engineering cause you got nothing to back it up with like physics or engineering studies but goodluck i suggest you ignore these people and talk to your careers advisor since these guys are just being plain sad and dropping your hopes down the drain.

EDIT: you shouldn't of not said shit btw lol

Tranasonic

Audiophile
HSC
I'm doing Electrical Engineering at UTS, current in 1st year, second semester.
I only did 2u in the HSC last year, but I slammed 3u work pretty hard before I went into Uni(Mostly Trigonometric Identities and Calculus, fuck most of the other shit as it is useless or will be taught at Uni if needed).
It is possible to go into Engineering from 2u Maths background with some work, but With just Gen Maths I'd suggest like deferring a semester and doing like a Tafe course or doing a bridging Maths course at uni, because you will get slammed in first year maths and physics with all of the Maths involved.

Ben1220

HSC
ok now being serious, if you do actually enjoy it and you want to do it, then its definently possible, you would have to take some kind of bridging course though, it might even delay your studies by a whole year, but if thats really what you want to do then you can do it sure. Don't expect it to be easy though. Also you probably can't do it at every uni, but I'm sure there would be a path out there that would get you through an engineering course, certainly after a longer amount of time then usual, but if you have the intelligence, motivation and time for it, then it can be done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)