Word Count (1 Viewer)

trev_2541

HSC
Ok so here's the story, our ext his teacher told us not to stick to the word limit as it wouldnt do justice to the topic that we had chosen, and he was right I blew it out by 3000 words..but others tuck to it claiming that "the syllabus says" (but they did it all the night before so..yeah they could only write 2500 words to scrape by) I was wondering wheter anybody else's teachers encouraged them to go over the limit, and am I commiting a sacrelidge by doing so? I have heard of many people "wanting to punch something" as a result of the limit, but our marking criteria didn't state that there needed to be a limit on words?

Ideas/Suggestions/Comments anyone?

X

xeuyrawp

This is a pretty recurring theme; whether you can go outside the Board guidelines and rules.

I'm a pragmatist, and I say that if your teacher says that you can go over the word limit, you can. Unless they're new, misinformed, or not marking the paper, I would stick to what they say. If they're new, or not marking the paper, go see the head of history or your tutor or something. Basically, do what's right for you. Why not confirm it with him in private - if you explicitly confirm that your word-count is fine, you should be safe.

Say you wrote 2500 and were marked down, you could lodge an appeal, but what's the point? The HSC, whilst about learning and improving yourself, is a game that needs to be played well. Jumping through the hoops to get marks can seem silly, but what other option is there?

I'm glad you have a conscience, but remember that this is an internal assesment (albeit one heavily described by the Board) - you're competing against your classmates.

However, I think that your teacher is a poor supervisor to say that 2500 words cannot do justice to your topic. The correct thing to do would be to be a word-count Nazi and get you to focus your topic into something more managable in 2500 words. Any topic can be explored in 2500 words - the scope of the question just needs to be correct.

Worth noting is another idea: That your teacher is actually giving everybody the trial by word-count. Essentially, an early undergraduate or late HSC student can write about 2500 words in a day/night. 5500 words is huge, and, if well-written, forms a pretty convincing piece of evidence that you didn't do the essay at the last minute. Perhaps your teacher is daunted and figures that marking based on word counts is the way to go?

Either way, your teacher could be in the wrong... Just protect your marks like the hydra and his fleece and you should be fine!

jabbie

HSC
i did 3500 in one day got a total of 85.5% for my major assesment

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
We were instructed to write 2500 exactly but he was okay to 2700 (and not more) over which I did.. Heh.

el gwapo

HSC
If the syllabus says 2500, shouldn't everyone stick to it? I guess it's hard to implement since the major project is internally marked (which is a large downfall of this course IMO)

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
el gwapo said:
If the syllabus says 2500, shouldn't everyone stick to it? I guess it's hard to implement since the major project is internally marked (which is a large downfall of this course IMO)
I wrote much over the limit...and never told the teachers that I was like 2000 words over lol...originally my project was so so so so so long (5500 words) so i had to destroy so much of it=(

I got away with it only coz the teachers didn't notice...the teachers early in the year said that it had to be within the limit incase the Bored of studies for some reason came to check on the school and whether htey are stickin to the guide

X

xeuyrawp

el gwapo said:
If the syllabus says 2500, shouldn't everyone stick to it?

I guess it's hard to implement since the major project is internally marked (which is a large downfall of this course IMO)
Agreed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)