Word-limit and markers (1 Viewer)

steffo

steph
HSC
for a video, i think 2-3 minutes over is definately noticeable and really open to penalisation. that's about a third of your whole time limit - definately too far over.

i agree with someone's ealier comments about the web page page limit - markers would probably notice it easily and possibly mark you down for a less effective use of the medium or whatever.

my ee2 friend is writing a script for her MW, and the time limit would definately only be an approximation. as long as it';s not obviously over (like double what all the other script are) then it shouldn't get penialised i wouldn't think. just remember, they're marking a whole bunch of these things, and they'll be able to tel whether you are obviously over (or under) the word limit.

good luck with it all guys. i know how annoying cutting things down is, it's the worst part i think. but it makes for a more effective MW.

miaomiao

HSC
N/A
I don't know how you guys can write so much for your MW... I wanted to stop at 4,000 words because I just felt so drained and like I was crapping on... oh well. My reflection statement is 200 words over and I am feeling this weird defiance about not cutting it down even one bit!

Personally I think it would be really bastardy and petty if they penalised someone for going 1 to 2 humndred words over.

c_james

Viva La Merchandise!
HSC
waterbottle said:
but everyone else has to stick to the word limits, why should some people get away with it?
Depends if you get an anal-retentive or easygoing marker. I suppose the only way to make this course truly fair is to have one or two markers mark every work...heh.

scoby_2000

HSC
i dont think i really have a word limit...i was told 20 mins for my screenplay and its about 2300 - or 23 pages

no one has said anything so i suppose its ok :D

waterbottle

your buttcheeks is warm
HSC
c_james said:
Depends if you get an anal-retentive or easygoing marker. I suppose the only way to make this course truly fair is to have one or two markers mark every work...heh.
yeah, i know what you mean. but to be honest, i think that having a whole year to complete the majorwork and reflection statement leaves plenty of room to get things done within the word limits. i for one have had to edit and re-edit to get my majorwork to the right length and i don't really think it's fair for others to get away with going over/under. markers should be told to penalise people who go over/under.

sorry if this sounds like an attack on anyone, i'm just trying to explain myself.

Pointy Ears

HSC
scoby_2000 said:
i dont think i really have a word limit...i was told 20 mins for my screenplay and its about 2300 - or 23 pages

no one has said anything so i suppose its ok :D
My screenplay is around 3500. But jee, how the heck can we tell if its 20 minutes or not? My scriptwriting software stuffed and so ive typed and formatted it all on word, so the one page= one minute rule just doesnt apply anymore.

I suppose they can only estimate through the length of time it takes them to read it? I mean, if its taking them an hour to read one particular script, then it must obviously be over. That is my only consolation right now and i have no concept of whether im above or below the limit.

BTW, i totally agree with what Waterbottle has said above.

clarity

HSC
With multimedia, I was told at a EE2 Study Day (by the guy who compiles the showcase CD) that multimedia students should ignore the limits set. He said something like: the syllabus is out of date and because multimedia is so diverse, we should do only what suits our project.
Mind you, mine is within the limits (33 pages) but Im unsure of word count so far. So luckily, with this format I don't have to compromise my project.. then again, my meanings might not be that succinct then, but I've edited a heck of a lot.
I've only just started the RS, so that word limit is all that concerns me currently.

VonDavis

(",) ..... *'\_/'*
HSC
Frob said:
I'm doing a video, which is meant to be 6-8 minutes. Does anyone know what kind of penalty there would be if it went for nine or ten?
They stop the video at the maximum time and do not watch the rest of it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)